Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Taking Delivery (Video) - 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Chevrolet
imageTaking Delivery (Video) - 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Long-Term Road Test

These are words you dream about:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    I'm very much looking forward to reading posts about this Corvette. What a great purchase. Thanks!
  • Options
    rmhpmirmhpmi Member Posts: 37
    I just paid you $55,000 for a car and you ship it to me without brake lights and a broken speedometer and a broken parking brake? "Minor" things to be sure, but dad's advice remains sound.

Looking forward to this one! Wish it was mine.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited May 2015
    Did they mention the speedometer and parking brake before you bought it?
    It is interesting to me that for $57,000 purchase you didn't spring for a plane ticket for someone to go look at it. I know people do this all the time but I'd still take a trip to check it out in person.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    $250 for somebody else to replace the brake light switch. Your trusted local mechanic just ordered a bigger boat.

Just remember that it's very unlikely that your trusted local mechanic has any more experience working on '66 'Vettes than you do. Time to brush the cobwebs off of your 2-post lift and rollaway toolbox and bookmark the best websites...
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I can't say that I am impressed with Mershon's. They sell a $56k car to a well known car site and don't double and triple check to make sure that everything works. I mean seriously, they had to have test driven after installing the side pipes, how could they miss the non-funtional speedometer?
  • Options
    sdpadsfansdpadsfan Member Posts: 14
    Just the other day I was thinking about the Black Plague, the 1996 Lexus, and the Grand National GNX wondering when you were going to purchase another interesting vehicle. You really hit it out of the park with this one. I can't wait to see how this year goes. Also, on the other end of the spectrum, I really loved the 96 Lexus, but I think you should do a year with a total heap (something you can get for under 2k that runs). You can call it the "Beater Car Project" or "Reliving Life as a Teenager".
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I know the guy probably does this everyday, but I would have at least put something on the ramp so I would know where to stop the car. You've got about a foot until you have a very bad day..
  • Options
    prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    edited May 2015
    DYNOTIME!

I'd really like to know what this monster's true hp/torque numbers are.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    On a Dynojet? Guessing maybe 210/265.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    My Dad had a 69 Firebird and he general philosophy was that he spent all week working on items to fix so he could be able to drive it during the weekend. Good luck! As I said, clock in those miles!
  • Options
    forzav12forzav12 Member Posts: 2
    Nice car. I have a bit of experience with these things and just finished a 1200 mile Targa Rally in mine. The side pipes are cool, but really kill power on any engine with power-probably not an issue with the 300HP spec. Shifter and steering have two settings, brake set up is critical as is the steering box. Many of these cars are running iffy carbs and ignition-no matter what the seller told you.
    When you are ready to have it dialed in by an old school master(the best I've ever encountered in my decades of doing this nonsense), have Josh shoot me a text. This guy does it all-carb, distributor,timing,etc. Builds some of the best old school engines on Earth. Will also sort the crappy brakes if you care. It will be like a different car. He's about 30-40 minutes from your office.
  • Options
    pureclassicpureclassic Member Posts: 12
    Your dealer has moved quickly from I think I will see what they have to -- Mershon's enthusiast world of pain -- not only is there no implied warranty, but safety is also an option. Speedo/Odometer cable dysfunction is highly suspect in the true history of the car - brake lights could get you killed - parking brake too, leaves me the impression that a major brake job is on the way - finally - state of tune -- would rather be told we will charge you "X" dollars for a prep and list of issues, then "surprise" and we'll send you some parts - find a car whisperer soon!
  • Options
    saulstersaulster Member Posts: 48
    I agree with the concerns stated above about the car and Mershons.

Aside from doing the side pipe installation and knowing about the broken speedo and odo, just DRIVING the car would tell anyone about all of the problems needing attention before selling. Not to disclose is poor business practice at the best. Would you have bought the car if the broken speedo / odo disclosed? Many would not risk the repairs or the mileage issues.

No brake lights and no parking brake. Ya gotta be kiddin me! Clearly no one at Mershons cares what they ship out for the big bucks. If they do this to Edmunds, what will they foist off on a regular private party? This is not rocket science, it's basics. And I don't consider a broken speedo and odo, non - functioning parking brake, and no brake lights "small" problems, especially in combination. You are so dazzled by your purchase that you are not thinking straight. If it was your personal money, not Edmunds' money, how would you feel?

IMHO, avoid, avoid, avoid ( this dealer ). And I agree with the suggestions above that you get this car to someone who knows it well for a thorough check over, fix the known issues, and make sure there are no other dangerous or costly surprises more hidden. Accident history / repairs? Resprays? Leaks? A/C works OK? Real mileage? Check EVERYTHING!

Last, I agree even more with the thoughts of the writer above about checking out the purchase in person first. Or have a known independent mechanic in the area check it out for you. Or better yet, both. There are lots of Corvette clubs and sources for this.

Sorry, but I think Edmunds just showed how NOT to buy a classic car. And why "due diligence" is necessary, not optional. I hope you have better luck down the road and didn't get really stuck beyond the known issues, which are annoying, frustrating, will cost some to fix, ( unnecessary if you did your homework! ), but ultimately not that big a deal if that's the full extent.
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    With a broken odometer, the real mileage will be unknown. Shady dealer fail!