Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

3 Alternators and 2 Batteries within 3 months -- Need Help Please :)

aroedoaroedo Member Posts: 1
edited May 2015 in Subaru
My car is going thru alternators and batteries. No aftermarket accessories. The load seems to be too much for the alternator when I accelerate or pull a lightweight trailer. We have gone thru 3 alternators and 2 batteries in the past 3 months. When I accelerator aggressively the battery light will flash for a few seconds. If I am pulling the trailer, it flashes off and one most of the trip.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Ideas or guesses? Do you have a voltmeter and can you monitor system voltage when the problem is occurring? Are you losing the alternator connections under heavy load suggesting that maybe the harness is experiencing an issue that causes the alternator to shut down when the engine torques to the loaded side? (which would be pulling on the wiring harness)

It's unlikely that the batteries and alternators themselves were at fault. Someone will have to test and prove what is occurring that is causing the symptom as described. Does the battery end up being discharged sufficiently to cause the car to not start? Have you confirmed that both battery cables and the charging output cables are good at both ends? (not just the battery ends)