Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What size screen on your Garmin? I saw a good deal on the one I want but it's only a 4.3" screen--seems a bit small.
    brian125 said:

Mazda Nav system uses Tom Tom. (not a fan there.) I like my My $189 Garmin nuvi. Best bang for the buck. . I keep it in my glove box in my X-5 and use it instead of the bmw system. I also like Garmin better than my Genesis Nav. The new apps can be done from your phone save your money.

So I drove my neighbors kid new 2016 mazda6 touring today .. w 19' wheels and leatherette seats . The sport model w / 17' tires rode better hands down on the terrible nyc roads. (imho). The leatherette seats were hard and hurt my back in my 10 min drive with his dad.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    edited May 2015
    Shifty, I have a Garmin with a 4.3" screen (it replaced a Garmin with a 3.5" screen, so quite a large upgrade, there). It works very well although the traffic data is almost useless. The speed limit data can be useful. For some reason, it doesn't notify me (on the desktop program or via email) when new maps are available, and I've set it up to do both, so I put "check for Garmin map update" on my calendar every three months.

Other than not being integrated into the vehicle, the 2011-era Garmin is far and away a better tool than the nav built in to my 2008 Yukon. Last time I checked, Consumer Reports was fairly consistent about ranking the Garmins at or near the top of their respective classes, and that still appears to be true. My next one will probably have a larger screen, but if you see a screaming deal on a 4.3", I wouldn't avoid it for that reason.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    yea the 4.3 is alittle to small for me . My Garmin is 5' screen perfect size. I think the newer models are bigger.
    Top rated Garmin 2589 LMT is excellent with all the bells and whistles retails about $225 or more basic Nuvi 68 LMT is also very good $200 . My Nuvi is more in line with the 68 model but cheaper . Any 5 ' Nuvi with Lifetime updates on maps and traffic is well worth it.

Check out reviews on the Garmin Nuvi 50 with lifetime maps . 5' screen basic model but excellent Nav. My wife has that one in her SUV and loves it. . They sell for 99 dollars at Walmart and other stores.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited May 2015
    stickguy said:

Gotta love Craigslist. Got one of the classic responses to me car ad. No preamble, not questions. just a "Hi there. $xxx cash".

impossible to take stuff like this seriously. even if they aren't that far off from what I would take on a "cash on the trunk" real offer.

Hah! I really lucked out with my Fiesta's ad this last time out. No spam at all, just three inquiries, the second of which resulted in the sale at my asking price (which, as always, was quite reasonable - I'm not a big fan of pricing high and hoping they won't haggle. I set what I think it's worth, mentally note a "bottom dollar" if they come back lower, and hit "publish.").
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    stickguy said:

question for Breld. how much of an upgrade is the interior of the 3 GT vs. the touring? One thing I hate is manual seats, and looks like the GT has the power leatherette (heated) ones instead (6 way, so probably just like the 6). also with the auto CC probably looks classier.

just my mind wandering down tangents again. Just thinking that a GT 3 might have that little extra pizzazz to put it over the top.

@stickguy - you're looking at the "i" model, right? So the GT gets you the power seat and the auto climate control (as you pointed out); on the "s" model you get the perforated leather by going from Touring to GT.

Like you, I'm a big fan of the power driver's seat and the auto CC. Definitely classes up the car a bit. Not to mention the moonroof that I know you love; and the Bose system is pretty good too - not the best system I've ever heard, but a nice upgrade. Overall, I think going from the Touring to the GT model on the 3 would be ideal for you, particularly since you'd be "giving up" the Sonata with all it's loaded features.

Not to keep eeking up the budget, but at that point, have you considered the $1,100 upgrade to the "s" Touring model? It keeps all the standard equipment from the iGT model, and adds the 2.5l engine. Unfortunately, it also adds the 18" wheels you may not be too fond of.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Any of those have Euro maps?
    brian125 said:

yea the 4.3 is alittle to small for me . My Garmin is 5' screen perfect size. I think the newer models are bigger.
    Top rated Garmin 2589 LMT is excellent with all the bells and whistles retails about $225 or more basic Nuvi 68 LMT is also very good $200 . My Nuvi is more in line with the 68 model but cheaper . Any 5 ' Nuvi with Lifetime updates on maps and traffic is well worth it.

Check out reviews on the Garmin Nuvi 50 with lifetime maps . 5' screen basic model but excellent Nav. My wife has that one in her SUV and loves it. . They sell for 99 dollars at Walmart and other stores.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    Thanks @breld. The 18s are a negative to me. And on that car don't really need the 2.5. So that could be a cheaper option than the 6.

Just need someone to show up and buy the Volvo. At this point, we may grow old and die together. Once that happens (a sale, not dying) kind of forces me to do something by mid August!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Follow up question. Is the navi any good? Worth paying for to have it integrated now?

I like the navi - in fact, we have it in the Kia and VW too, and I'd say I prefer the Mazda's. Kids are in baseball, and more and more, they're traveling to different fields around town, so I find myself using the navigation quite a bit.

My only complaint on the navi is that it doesn't allow address input while the car is moving. I of course understand the safety issue behind it, but I'd rather make the choice on whether I am able to input an address safely.

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I'd dig a 3s but it's not my money.

I got an email today inviting me to test drive a Tesla. They just gove a little, name, email and phone number to respond so I did. If they'd given me a place to say it I'd have said no way on God's green earth that I could afford that but if they contact me I'll tell the I'm not really looking until the III but I'd be perfectly happy to check it out.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    I thought the 3 was off the table? Thought we were talking about variations on a 6 until I saw the discussion around engine choices. Hard to keep up...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab, you can commiserate with my wife about that. I always consider my list "fluid". And you never know what the final answer is until it hits the driveway!

I came back to the 3 because I could get the missing features for still less money, and that might swing the balance back. Plus it doesn't have the 19" wheels.

it may actually come down to a trip to the dealer I plan to buy from, and trying the various options, and picking one.

It's the last year you can get a 5......
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    nyccarguy said:

@sda - I just realized that you live in Indian Lakes, SC. I have an Aunt & Uncle (wife's side) that I will be visiting this summer:). Maybe we can get the Pilots together for an edmunds family photo:)

Bradd, that sounds like fun, and look forward to meeting you. Let me know when you're coming this way so we can plan.

Steve

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I would try and sell my wife on a 5 if we were in market for a family car, but we aren't. and I don't think it would work anyway if it was for her!

got an interesting response to my ad on the Volvo. Had a guy respond, asking if the T-belt and water pump had been done. I answered back that (as confirmed with the dealer) this model calls for it at 15 years or 150,000 miles. so not due any time soon.

he came back that he would pay full asking price (works for me!), if I would warranty the parts myself for 15/150,000 (and any associated damage)! Ah, I think not.

I have some wiggle room, so may answer that I would split the difference on the job (about $700 total, so $350) and he can just get it done himself if it is such a concern. My wife says to broom him, but she has no patience for this kind of stuff. Of course, he hasn't even seen the car, so who knows what is going on.

had another looker today. seemed serious. had another one to look at, so hopefully I hear back. Offering a bit less than I want, but at some point, you take the money and move on.

oh, back to the 3 vs. 6 debate. Really comes down to the room comparison. If I decide the 3 is roomy enough, a 3 GT is about $2,500 less than a 6touring. the 2.0 is enough motor for us, and the GT also includes heated seats (like them) and Navi (want that, costs $400 extra to add to a 6).

also leaning toward the hatchback maybe. I like them. daughter can learn to love it!

Sounds like you need a 4.5.
    A CX-3 would be interesting, but they won't be out for a while. And won't be cheap for a while after that.

floated the idea of the 3 GT instead of a 6 to the wife. she just said "I don't want a 3. too small". Reminding me how I ended up in the Sonata in the first place! She did say if I wanted to do that, the kid gets it. Which just might happen. Plans change frequently around here!

stickguy said:

floated the idea of the 3 GT instead of a 6 to the wife. she just said "I don't want a 3. too small". Reminding me how I ended up in the Sonata in the first place! She did say if I wanted to do that, the kid gets it. Which just might happen. Plans change frequently around here!

I was thinking exactly along those lines, but couldn't quite decide how to express the response. Your wife saved me the trouble! B)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    sda said:

nyccarguy said:

@sda - I just realized that you live in Indian Lakes, SC. I have an Aunt & Uncle (wife's side) that I will be visiting this summer:). Maybe we can get the Pilots together for an edmunds family photo:)

Bradd, that sounds like fun, and look forward to meeting you. Let me know when you're coming this way so we can plan.

Steve
    Dumb question Steve. Is "Indian Land" close to "Indian Lakes?" Indian Lakes is not too far from the NC border, very close to Charlotte. We'll be stopping in Charlotte for maybe 2 nights and heading to Indian Lakes to check out Aunt & Uncle's new place. From there we'll be heading to Saint Simon's Island, GA. But if you are close, then I'd love to get together and maybe grab a cup of coffee (or a drink, depending on the time of day).

Mike - I know you have an interesting relationship with your twin brother. I'm not sure if you plan on visiting him this summer, but after Saint Simon's Island, we will be staying at a friend's place in Ponte Verde Beach for a night or 2.

It is at the end of July, I'll check the exact dates.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I love NC. still hope to get down there for "retirement" at some point.

Oh, and my wife has plenty of practice telling me (in one form or another) that I am an idiot.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    nyccarguy said:

sda said:

nyccarguy said:

Steve
    Dumb question Steve. Is "Indian Land" close to "Indian Lakes?" Indian Lakes is not too far from the NC border, very close to Charlotte. We'll be stopping in Charlotte for maybe 2 nights and heading to Indian Lakes to check out Aunt & Uncle's new place. From there we'll be heading to Saint Simon's Island, GA. But if you are close, then I'd love to get together and maybe grab a cup of coffee (or a drink, depending on the time of day).

Mike - I know you have an interesting relationship with your twin brother. I'm not sure if you plan on visiting him this summer, but after Saint Simon's Island, we will be staying at a friend's place in Ponte Verde Beach for a night or 2.

Indian Land is just south of Charlotte and considered a bedroom community of Charlotte. If you travel down 521 (Johnston Road in Charlotte), Indian Land is located immediately as you pass from NC to SC. There is a lot of confusion as we share the Post Office with Fort Mill, SC. Fort Mill is in York Co. and Indian Land is in Lancaster Co. My driver's license actually reflects a Fort Mill address yet we are in Indian Land!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    stickguy said:

I have some wiggle room, so may answer that I would split the difference on the job (about $700 total, so $350) and he can just get it done himself if it is such a concern. My wife says to broom him, but she has no patience for this kind of stuff. Of course, he hasn't even seen the car, so who knows what is going on.

sounds like he just wants to be a PITA, so no amount of logic will sway him.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Probably. I responded. will see what happens. I don't have much else to occupy my time, so playing with a flake via Email isn't a big deal.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    nyccarguy said:
    Bradd, that sounds like fun, and look forward to meeting you. Let me know when you're coming this way so we can plan. Steve
    Dumb question Steve. Is "Indian Land" close to "Indian Lakes?" Indian Lakes is not too far from the NC border, very close to Charlotte. We'll be stopping in Charlotte for maybe 2 nights and heading to Indian Lakes to check out Aunt & Uncle's new place. From there we'll be heading to Saint Simon's Island, GA. But if you are close, then I'd love to get together and maybe grab a cup of coffee (or a drink, depending on the time of day). Mike - I know you have an interesting relationship with your twin brother. I'm not sure if you plan on visiting him this summer, but after Saint Simon's Island, we will be staying at a friend's place in Ponte Verde Beach for a night or 2. It is at the end of July, I'll check the exact dates.
    I doubt it Bradd.  I'm trying to work on getting my son to fly down here from California in July and I think my brother is trying to work out his schedule so that he can come down and watch Dad while my son and I vacation together for 5-6 days.

I know he he lives in one of the Del Webb communities about 2 miles from A1A (near the beach).  I know I had to go through 3 gates with security guards to get to his house.  He is pretty far east of I-95, from what I remember when I was up to see him 2-1/2 years ago.

i can email you his address and phone number if you want.  I am sure you won't be too far from him as it is not a large area.  He lives about 5 minutes from the TPC Sawgrass Golf Course.

2021 Genesis G90

Stick, that's funny about the timing belt. I didn't realize they had gone up to 15 years (it used to be 10 years or XXX,000 miles). That's a really long time for a piece of rubber/composite to age.

On another note, I'm trying to set a maintenance/cosmetic repair budget for the Yukon, to avoid dumping a load of cash into it as I did the 540i. I'm thinking $100-200 per month. I ordered a seat cable off of eBay for $45 (retail price over $100), which should fix a cantankerous third row seat.
    I was surprised too. It used to be 105K on the 2.5L engine. by 2007, that increased to 120K/10.

but, mine is a PZEV. and for some reason, that calls for 150K/15. I talked to the service writer, who checked "with the boss" and confirmed that was correct for my car, and it is a different part that they have to special order. no clue what is different about it, but I think I am still safely in the OK window! If i decided to keep it, most likely I would do it anyway at about 10 years, even if that was only about 120-125K. It is an interference engine, so better safe than sorry.

Well, on the 3 vs 6, I went to the passat to get a larger car, and then the 5-series to get a more luxurious larger car. And then, of course, I reverted back to the compact car with the mazda3.

At the end of the day, the roomier car was nice for the rear passengers and more "elbow" room, but I was also using that as a bit of justification for a car change. Fortunately my wife didn't hold me to it when I suddenly showed interest in the mazda3, civic si and wrx.

While clearly not as roomy as the passat and 535, I'm finding the mazda3 to be very adequate for the kids in the rear seat, and there's plenty of room in the hatch for all their baseball equipment.

Anyway, @stickguy, I think you have the same hankering for a compact car that I did, so the Mazda3 may still be worth a look.

I would like something a bit "tidier". but I won't get it for me, since the wife doesn't want to downsize that much. I could get away with something like a Jetta I think. So the 3 would just disappear with the kid anyway!

abacomike said:

nyccarguy said:

Steve

I doubt it Bradd.  I'm trying to work on getting my son to fly down here from California in July and I think my brother is trying to work out his schedule so that he can come down and watch Dad while my son and I vacation together for 5-6 days.

I know he he lives in one of the Del Webb communities about 2 miles from A1A (near the beach).  I know I had to go through 3 gates with security guards to get to his house.  He is pretty far east of I-95, from what I remember when I was up to see him 2-1/2 years ago.

i can email you his address and phone number if you want.  I am sure you won't be too far from him as it is not a large area.  He lives about 5 minutes from the TPC Sawgrass Golf Course.

No harm, no foul Mike. I say spending time with your son who lives on the other side of the country is the way to go;). I just figured I'd throw it out so if you were in his neighborhood, we could make plans. Another time my friend!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,201
    Question for all who read / post / lurk on this thread ....

What is the redline of the car you drive most frequently? And, do you ever take your car to that limit?

The redline in my Elantra GT is 6750 and I don't believe I've ever wound the engine that tight.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

around 6,500 I think. and no, I never come near it. very rare I ever go over 4K

Prelude redlines at 7500 RPM. Yes, I do take that car to it's limit.

Legacy redlines at 6000 RPM. I'm sure the engine does rev that high. I really need to floor this sucker to get it to go.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    nyccarguy said:

Legacy redlines at 6000 RPM. I'm sure the engine does rev that high. I really need to floor this sucker to get it to go.

The ZHP redlines at 6800 and I hit it quite often :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I don't remember what the redline on the GLI was but I hit it several times. I'm not sure it's marked on the Yukon. Have not hit it yet. 
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

Beat me to it... :p

Does the automatic shift at the redline, or bounce off the rev limiter?

I usually shift around 6200 when I'm really going for acceleration..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    stickguy said:

I would like something a bit "tidier". but I won't get it for me, since the wife doesn't want to downsize that much. I could get away with something like a Jetta I think. So the 3 would just disappear with the kid anyway!

But I thought she hated the 3?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

Beat me to it... :p

Does the automatic shift at the redline, or bounce off the rev limiter?

I usually shift around 6200 when I'm really going for acceleration..
    When its slid over into sport, yes.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I'll have to check my redline. I never quite hit it.

Stick - if you can deal with VW they are practically giving Jetta leases away these days trying to clear inventory.
    Some cars are happy at redline, for others it's a waste of time up there.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I'm not sure of the exact numbers of the redlines, but, yes, I hit them all the time. Except in the van. That has only seen redline a couple of times.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I have not yet visited VW. Holding off to see if I ever move the Volvo. I think at this point I will end up being buried in it. As in literally, when I am dead, we go in ground together

The 3? She did like it, but thought the interior was plain. The GT accoutrements I think would solve that, but I would certainly show her first

The other car being given away? Chrysler 200. Dealer has lots. A nicely loaded limited, sticker at 27k even, online price just under 21k. Over 6k off true sticker. Lots of good stuff on it too.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,201
    stickguy said:

I have not yet visited VW. Holding off to see if I ever move the Volvo. I think at this point I will end up being buried in it. As in literally, when I am dead, we go in ground together

The 3? She did like it, but thought the interior was plain. The GT accoutrements I think would solve that, but I would certainly show her first

The other car being given away? Chrysler 200. Dealer has lots. A nicely loaded limited, sticker at 27k even, online price just under 21k. Over 6k off true sticker. Lots of good stuff on it too.

The Jetta specials are for the 2.slow engine, not the 1.8T.

And the residuals on the 200 are really only decent for 24 or 42 month terms.

I did see a post offering an Optima LX for $88/mo with $0 down. I've asked for details to confirm - usually a teaser payment like that requires a bunch of money down.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Don't really need 42 at this point. And 24 is too short.

And no way would I drive a 2.slow VeeDub.

Optima seems cheap, but would need some options (or maybe an EX) to meet minimum standards!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    Michaell said:

Question for all who read / post / lurk on this thread ....

What is the redline of the car you drive most frequently? And, do you ever take your car to that limit?

The redline in my Elantra GT is 6750 and I don't believe I've ever wound the engine that tight.

Club Sport: 6,300 rpm stock 6,800 rpm with Turner/Conforti chip- yes, I come close on most every drive.
    MS3: 6,700 rpm- but even with the HT tune the show is pretty much over at @6,000 rpm, which is my shift point when the car is ""Driven in anger."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I can't remember if redline on my Subarus is 6,500 or 6,000, but I don't tend to take them beyond 5,500-6,000, and I haven't pushed my "new" one at all yet. The '10, being a manual, is the more likely candidate for that and, like others mentioned, "the show's over" at about that point so it is the right time to shift.

Peppy cars, those Subarus. :)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

True....my Maca RX8 LOVED hitting the 9K redline. The CTS.....no sense going much past 4,500 RPM as it makes more noise than power past that.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

True....my Maca RX8 LOVED hitting the 9K redline. The CTS.....no sense going much past 4,500 RPM as it makes more noise than power past that.
    And you might not WANT to be going any faster because the car might stall:)