Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    stickguy said:

Don't really need 42 at this point. And 24 is too short.

And no way would I drive a 2.slow VeeDub.

There is a dealer here in Atlanta knocking about 4k off of 2015 1.8T SE Jetta's.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

corvette said:

I don't remember what the redline on the GLI was but I hit it several times. I'm not sure it's marked on the Yukon. Have not hit it yet. 

Now that it is gone, what was you assessment of the GLI? Pre-accident did you enjoy it? Fit & finish ok?

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    stickguy said:

I love NC. still hope to get down there for "retirement" at some point.

Oh, and my wife has plenty of practice telling me (in one form or another) that I am an idiot.

Plenty of nice retirement neighborhoods around here. There is a DelWeb SunCity with a nice golf course and amenities about 5 minutes away.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Dropped of my Legacy for its second service tonight & picked up a 2014 XV Crosstrek as a loaner car. It is a 2.0i Premium with CVT. I immediately noticed the car's shorter wheelbase. If feels more "playful" than my Legacy. It drives better than I expected it to. With its increased ground clearance over the standard Impreza as well as higher sidewall tires I thought the car would wallow, but its suspension is actually taut compared to an Impreza and my Legacy. Not harsh by any means. It's got hot seats, but no backup camera. There's a decent sized blind spot when you look over your left shoulder into the next lane. If they bolt some sort of a turbo onto it, the XV Crosstrek would make for quite an entertaining commuter.

The main problem I have with this is its price. My loaner has an MSRP of $24,145. My Legacy which is more comfortable, much roomier, has a bigger 2.5L motor, hot seats, auto climate control, backup camera has an MSRP of $24,590.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited June 2015
    au1994 said:

Now that it is gone, what was you assessment of the GLI? Pre-accident did you enjoy it? Fit & finish ok?

It's an incredibly good, sporty daily driver. Not quite a sports car. Very enjoyable to drive. Not punishing as a road trip car. Makes you feel like you're driving spiritedly when you're going 8 MPH over the limit, even though it's capable of far more. The OE Dunlop all season tires are good in the dry and wet but dangerous in the snow.

Fit and finish was very good before the wreck and subsequent repair. It was poor (on the repaired areas) after the VW-certified body shop's first attempt and improved to average after a couple of corrective repairs. In practice, insurance companies will not pay to properly repair a car to OE spec when the damage is severe, although in theory they are required to. This is why you want your car totaled when you are in anything more than a minor fender bender.

Post-accident, given all the incompetent drivers on the road, I do not and have not felt safe in a car with merely "average" size and weight, even one with very good safety ratings like the VW, thus, the purchase of a vehicle with a curb weight approaching 3 tons, which will likely not fit in my garage. Now that I am in my 30s, it looks like I can no longer walk away from a moderate impact without any lingering symptoms.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    some people don't see the forest for the trees. had some inquiries on the car for sale. one today just asked for the vin to do a record check of some sort. supplied it. got back asking for "what I really want for it". So I respond.

then they come back with a concern on the carfax, because it showed the 1st owner (1 year, 16k) as a "rental". Completely ignoring the next 7 years, which was no accidents, nothing unforeseen, just a steady report of all services done locally at the hoity toity Volvo dealer over on the main line. IOW, a big reason that I bought the car in the first place! Then since I had it, 3 more years of service at the dealer in Jersey, and service records for overspending on the stuff I did (probably didn't need a Sachs super touring suspension package...). And a fresh dealer "all is well" report.

some people just focus on the wrong stuff IMO.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Bradd, I think the XV is neat looking. but blind spots bug me. I really like BLIS at this point. wonderful extra safety technology. And that is pretty pricey.

Legacy is a good value though. as long as you buy it out!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Interesting comments on the Crosstrek. I'm surprised that it doesn't have a backup camera, I thought most new vehicles have them by now. I think they are a must-have especially on a CUV. I have seen a number of comments along the lines of "but I could get a bigger version for the same money" which is a fair comment. But what if you don't WANT a bigger car? The advantage of the CUV is precisely its small size. Easy to maneuver and park, good seat height, and enough room when you need it but not more. Small doesn't have to mean an economy car.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    corvette said:

au1994 said:

It's an incredibly good, sporty daily driver. Not quite a sports car. Very enjoyable to drive. Not punishing as a road trip car. Makes you feel like you're driving spiritedly when you're going 8 MPH over the limit, even though it's capable of far more. The OE Dunlop all season tires are good in the dry and wet but dangerous in the snow.

Fit and finish was very good before the wreck and subsequent repair. It was poor (on the repaired areas) after the VW-certified body shop's first attempt and improved to average after a couple of corrective repairs. In practice, insurance companies will not pay to properly repair a car to OE spec when the damage is severe, although in theory they are required to. This is why you want your car totaled when you are in anything more than a minor fender bender.

Post-accident, given all the incompetent drivers on the road, I do not and have not felt safe in a car with merely "average" size and weight, even one with very good safety ratings like the VW, thus, the purchase of a vehicle with a curb weight approaching 3 tons, which will likely not fit in my garage. Now that I am in my 30s, it looks like I can no longer walk away from a moderate impact without any lingering symptoms.
    Thanks for the review and I am sorry to hear that you are still being affected by that accident.

suydam said:

Interesting comments on the Crosstrek. I'm surprised that it doesn't have a backup camera, I thought most new vehicles have them by now. I think they are a must-have especially on a CUV. I have seen a number of comments along the lines of "but I could get a bigger version for the same money" which is a fair comment. But what if you don't WANT a bigger car? The advantage of the CUV is precisely its small size. Easy to maneuver and park, good seat height, and enough room when you need it but not more. Small doesn't have to mean an economy car.

I'm sure the next model up has it, or maybe even the 2015 model. My loaner is a 2014. I agree that bigger is NOT always better. I actually like the way this Crosstrek drives. Give it a turbo boost and this would be a seriously fun car to drive. It would be a cheap version of a BMW X1.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Suydam, can you comment on how your CUV, the Buick Encore is doing, and the ownership experience thus far?
    stickguy said:

Bradd, I think the XV is neat looking. but blind spots bug me. I really like BLIS at this point. wonderful extra safety technology. And that is pretty pricey.

Legacy is a good value though. as long as you buy it out!

The Legacy will never be given away as a cheap lease. They do seem to hold their value. You could always "lease it to yourself" by taking out a 6 year loan. In 3 years after you've paid half of it off, you will surely have equity in it. What numbers did the Subaru dealer come back to you with? For me, driving 20K + per year I'd be looking at a lease payment somewhere in the $350 range (just guessing). So the purchase price, the monthly payment ($405.07 including 5 year/100K Subaru Extended Warranty), & the car made sense for me. Today the car would be cheaper because the financing rates are 1.49% instead of the 2.9% they were when I bought back in September.

Your car, with 1k OOP at inception for fees, was $289/mo on 3/36. A few $k more down, and a 6 year loan could probably be doable in the $300/mo range. Though I would have to work out something with it in 3 years.

I am done with used cars and trying to sell them. Too big a pain. I now know why people commit insurance fraud to make them go away! May have to take a bloodbath and trade the Volvo in.. Or just keep driving it until one of us dies.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    stickguy said:

Your car, with 1k OOP at inception for fees, was $289/mo on 3/36. A few $k more down, and a 6 year loan could probably be doable in the $300/mo range. Though I would have to work out something with it in 3 years.

I am done with used cars and trying to sell them. Too big a pain. I now know why people commit insurance fraud to make them go away! May have to take a bloodbath and trade the Volvo in.. Or just keep driving it until one of us dies.

Either you or the Volvo? lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah. It may be the car that never leaves. At least that way, a 50% chance it becomes my wife's problem (depending on if I go first, or the car)

Carnaught -- I've only had the Encore 4 months, but so far we both love it and I find myself often taking it in preference to my Honda, which I also really like. It's the perfect all around town vehicle. So easy to park and maneuver, visibility is excellent, and mpg is better than I expected. It feels very luxe even though it's the mid-level trim -- it's the first small car I've had that's quiet and doesn't feel like an economy car. Storage is good too. We just loaded 4 boxes of books to take to the library, no problem. I've also taken it on some out of town trips and it's great on the highway too. Also a good dog car!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    So far, so good with the repair on the Golf...even though this was an unseen event, they stepped up to the plate, gave me a loaner for the holiday weekend and fixed the problem. It is a fun vehicle and hoping that they do make a cuv out of it in the future, a bit smaller then the Tiguan. I did like the higher seating position in the Tucson but I just felt like I was driving a tank, the newer ones like the HR-V are the perfect size...I just pulled the trigger 1.5 years too early. If I were to buy something right now, the HR-V would be the logical choice. Still have not seen a pic of the smallest Mazda cuv due out soon, again, seems to be the perfect size. Am not sure if the Encore/Trax are a bit larger though they look to be.
    At almost 5.5 months of ownership, I don't miss the Tucson at all! A nice overall vehicle which did everything right except it was too big, cut it down 1/4 of it's current size and it would've been perfect. Did see a shot of the new one and it looks like a smaller Sante Fe Sport but to compete with the Honda and Mazda subcompact cuv's, they'll need an Accent based vehicle in the near future since, according to Automotive News, this niche is the hot one right now!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    nyccarguy said:

suydam said:

I'm sure the next model up has it, or maybe even the 2015 model. My loaner is a 2014. I agree that bigger is NOT always better. I actually like the way this Crosstrek drives. Give it a turbo boost and this would be a seriously fun car to drive. It would be a cheap version of a BMW X1.
    I agree - I liked the Crosstrek (and the Impreza Sport for that matter) when I test drove them. Very roomy for a compact car, and I'd love to have that Subaru AWD. And available with a manual no less. But I test drove them enough to find that the 2.0l really seemed to struggle in certain situations. And, as funny as it may seem, I thought the WRX was too performance-oriented for what I wanted.

So something in between would be welcome. Even the 2.5l perhaps. Revive the 2.5RS nameplate?

By the way, anyone take note of the upcoming 2016 X1? I already liked the current one, but thought it to be quite outdated. From the pictures, I like this new one quite a bit.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

stickguy said:

Yeah. It may be the car that never leaves. At least that way, a 50% chance it becomes my wife's problem (depending on if I go first, or the car)

Give it some time @stickguy. As we all know, it just takes that one buyer (er, one "sane" buyer). Sounds like it's a great car for the right person.

Someone asked me recently why I don't like a push button start. Just seems like another potential electrical issue to go wrong. It was quick and easy to use once I remembered to just hit the open button on my key fob and get in without removing the whole thing from my belt clip. Super easy to use but if something goes wrong, one is stuck and can't start the vehicle...with a key, this isn't an issue unless something breaks in the steering column. But seeing the current trend, think this'll become standard equipment on all vehicles within a very short time just like back up cams.
    This really is a great time to be buying/leasing because the good things have trickled down, finally, so most can enjoy. Just wish leasing was in the cards for me but with raising a family and all that goes with it up till now, keeping a vehicle a long time was the norm. And now that I seem to drive around 14k/year, the numbers just don't make it feasible. And finally, I've got something I really really like but I have a feeling by year 6, I just might be tempted to want something new...and who knows what great new tech will be in 2021 models? Turns out, I like all the new stuff and want to have it all, eventually!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    One thing re pushbutton start that I need to look up in the manual for my Cadillac is how you get accessory or full electrical power to the vehicle without starting the engine. I'm sure there must be a way but I don't know how.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Ab, on my other cars with it, you just push the button without having your foot on the brake. Once for accessory, twice for all power (but no engine).

Sandy, google the CX-3. Looks fantastic. And just your size. I bet you would find the hr-v too sluggish for your tastes.

Stick, have you tried Carmax or one of the other dealers which will buy the car outright?
    Nice looking vehicle inside and out, a mini 3 if you will but the Honda just looks better at first glance. Liked the interior a lot also but will have to wait till I actually sit in the Mazda and drive both. Looks to be a bit larger than my Golf which is small, the perfect size for me. Noticed that the Jetta is a bit longer than both the Golf and the A3 after parking it in the A3's usual spot, a noticeable difference though it didn't drive any bigger. And honestly, I haven't driven the A3 much at all...usually only to get it a car wash at the nearby dealer. The wife has yet to drive the Golf but will feel the same as hers is based on mine.

Nice looking vehicle inside and out, a mini 3 if you will but the Honda just looks better at first glance. Liked the interior a lot also but will have to wait till I actually sit in the Mazda and drive both. Looks to be a bit larger than my Golf which is small, the perfect size for me. Noticed that the Jetta is a bit longer than both the Golf and the A3 after parking it in the A3's usual spot, a noticeable difference though it didn't drive any bigger. And honestly, I haven't driven the A3 much at all...usually only to get it a car wash at the nearby dealer. The wife has yet to drive the Golf but will feel the same as hers is based on mine.

Is your A3 the 2.0 or 1.8?

I might as well trade it in if going to carmax. Save on tax.

Or just slash the price on CL and let one of the low ballers have it!

His a3 is the 1.8.

And the Jetta is much longer than a golf. I think close to 2'

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

suydam said:

I agree - I liked the Crosstrek (and the Impreza Sport for that matter) when I test drove them. Very roomy for a compact car, and I'd love to have that Subaru AWD. And available with a manual no less. But I test drove them enough to find that the 2.0l really seemed to struggle in certain situations. And, as funny as it may seem, I thought the WRX was too performance-oriented for what I wanted.

So something in between would be welcome. Even the 2.5l perhaps. Revive the 2.5RS nameplate?

By the way, anyone take note of the upcoming 2016 X1? I already liked the current one, but thought it to be quite outdated. From the pictures, I like this new one quite a bit.
    The new X1 is on a FWD platform... I'll pass..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    After having an interior detailing done on the "new" Forester, I'm pretty satisfied with it. And, I'm even getting used to the automatic transmission! It's been a long time since I regularly drove one, and it is surprising to me how awkward they feel.

So far, I'm not missing the Fiesta at all. Yes, it handled better than this car, but I also really like not having to wring the engine out every time I want some acceleration. Don't get me wrong, the Fiesta didn't seem to mind doing it, but somehow I just felt I was being a little hard on it. :D

The only problem with the Forester so far is that the PO left the trailer hitch in the receiver for, oh, probably seven straight years, and it is thoroughly frozen in there. I spent an hour on and split blood over getting the hitch pin out, but still have to contend with the hitch itself. Even a chain attached to my plow truck and a dozen rather violent pulls on it has not produced any progress. I may have to replace the whole unit, which will do more than a little bit to annoy me.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited June 2015
    You had an interior detailing done on the Forester? I thought you were a diy guy?  :s
    edited June 2015
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

suydam said:

Yeah, I wasn't happy to see that. Very good looking redesign though.

My dealer has a beautiful midnight blue over terra cotta X1 35i. It pretty loaded and 'marked down' to ~44k from 47k. Dang tempting if I could get out of the 335i lease.

au1994 said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

suydam said:

Yeah, I wasn't happy to see that. My dealer has a beautiful midnight blue over terra cotta X1 35i. It pretty loaded and 'marked down' to ~44k from 47k. Dang tempting if I could get out of the 335i lease.
    Yeah... the current X1 leases pretty well... high residuals.

I guess it's no big deal... All of the other subcompact SUVs are FWD-based, as well. But, it takes it off my list..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

suydam said:

Yeah, I wasn't happy to see that. My dealer has a beautiful midnight blue over terra cotta X1 35i. It pretty loaded and 'marked down' to ~44k from 47k. Dang tempting if I could get out of the 335i lease.

I guess it's no big deal... All of the other subcompact SUVs are FWD-based, as well. But, it takes it off my list..
    I've only driven an X-Drive BMW that was built off of a RWD platform so I don't know how it performs on a FWD platform. I've driven an A3 and A5 Quattro and kinda liked it.

Sandman, the HRV is I think actually an inch longer than the Encore. They are about the same width and the Encore stands about 2" higher. So pretty similar dimensions. I like the looks of the Mazda CX-3 better than the HRV on paper but haven't seen either in person yet.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    au1994 said:

kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

kyfdx said:

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

suydam said:

I've only driven an X-Drive BMW that was built off of a RWD platform so I don't know how it performs on a FWD platform. I've driven an A3 and A5 Quattro and kinda liked it.
    Saw my first Q3 a couple of weeks ago... Pretty nice looking.

Even though my wife has the newer model X3, she still thinks the Q5 is the best looking compact SUV.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited June 2015
    Seen a few HR-V's at the local Honda store we have our Hertz kiosk at and where we supply their vehicles. That black over black EX sold that first weekend, as I suspected, and they put a white over black EX into the showroom, meh is all I can say about it in white. The plum over black is very very nice, not to plum so it's not in your face, just a very muted plum which actually works quite well on this vehicle. I knew the minute I saw a pic that I'd really like it but the timing was just off for a sale here. And honestly, besides my Golf, there's no other vehicle I'd rather have except the small Mercedes cuv, forgot the name of it, a GLA...just not sure. But those are the only two vehicles I'd actually swap out the Golf for at this moment...and that ain't gonna happen unless it's totaled! Honestly think the better half would divorce me if I swapped vehicles again so soon...luckily everything is now "tied up" if you will, so no chance of me buying much of anything. Plan to fully retire again once I turn 65 so this vehicle will have to last me into retirement, and then some! And I still grin every time I walk into the garage, a good sign that it's a keeper in our household. Just hoping the wife keeps the A3 for a long time also...so far, no issues to speak of and she seems to really like it, which is high praise for her! She's like Stick's wife, she definitely knows what she likes and wants...and will not settle for less! Luckily, she can afford it while I could only afford the Golf which is what I'd rather have anyhow, so it's a win/win for us both!
    Personally, I never saw us as moving into the bowels of the luxury marks to be honest. Size was the deciding factor here as she wanted as small as possible but somewhat well equipped and safe. Having the dealer literally steps away also helped turn the scales in it's favor. Think she'd have ended up with a Forte or Rio to be honest as in the end, the Mazda3 didn't excite her enough for a replay though I think she would've gone with the one with the 2.5 liter engine as she liked the digital speedometer and was also used to the 2.3 in her previous M3S. But after multiple test drives in the A3, I could see it was the best choice for what she wanted to drive. Once the local dealer saw that she'd take any color and we were about to buy close to my work place, they relented to our price and made the sale on a unit not even in stock yet. So all worked out for the best...just hope to get some seat time in it, eventually!!!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Now that the X1 is FWD based there's no compelling reason to pick it over the CX-5 or CX-3; BMW continues to make my exodus from the marque easier by the day...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Educate me on the difference between FWD base and RWD base on an AWD car. Is it more about where the power is allocated to on a normal basis? What differences are there in the actual structure/chassis of the car, and how do those contribute to the driving dynamics?

Audis are FWD based, correct? Is that one of the inherent drawbacks compared to a BMW (historically)?

Sincerely curious to better understand this.

Thanks!

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited June 2015
    Stick
    Drove the 2016 Mazda CX-5. very nice little cuv . Its a little small for me but let me tell you it drove exceptional well, handled a lot better than expected. . Might want to check it out.

@breld

ALL Audis going back to the 1971 Audi 100LS are front wheel drive standard equipment. Quattro was first used in the 1978 or 1979 models .

FWD cars are weight-biased toward the front, which is a built-in design limitation as far as handling/performance is concerned. Also, the wheels that propel the car must also steer the car, which isn’t optimal for high-speed driving/cornering. This is why most race cars and also high-performance cars are rear-wheel-drive. FWD is fundamentally an economy-oriented drivetrain layout designed to cut down on vehicle weight, simplify assembly and reduce manufacturing costs.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/12/23/rwd-bmw-m3-vs-awd-audi-rs4/

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    nyccarguy said:

Dropped of my Legacy for its second service tonight & picked up a 2014 XV Crosstrek as a loaner car. It is a 2.0i Premium with CVT. I immediately noticed the car's shorter wheelbase. If feels more "playful" than my Legacy. It drives better than I expected it to. With its increased ground clearance over the standard Impreza as well as higher sidewall tires I thought the car would wallow, but its suspension is actually taut compared to an Impreza and my Legacy. Not harsh by any means. It's got hot seats, but no backup camera. There's a decent sized blind spot when you look over your left shoulder into the next lane. If they bolt some sort of a turbo onto it, the XV Crosstrek would make for quite an entertaining commuter.

The main problem I have with this is its price. My loaner has an MSRP of $24,145. My Legacy which is more comfortable, much roomier, has a bigger 2.5L motor, hot seats, auto climate cofor tntrol, backup camera has an MSRP of $24,590.

Having a loaner while getting the car serviced is one thing I really miss as most Honda dealers around here don't offer it. Just turned 40000 mi today and took it in for an oil change and transmission drain and fill. Tires, brakes all checked out 'green', but tried to sell me an alignment, air and cabin filter. Air filter only slightly dirty. They wanted about $100 for the two filters, which I can buy and replace myself for $35 or so. Tire wear is minimal, even and car tracks straight. I declined.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

That's too bad. Our Honda dealer has a loaner program that's part of the service. Since they are a 50 mile drive from us I really appreciate it.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    breld said:

Educate me on the difference between FWD base and RWD base on an AWD car. Is it more about where the power is allocated to on a normal basis? What differences are there in the actual structure/chassis of the car, and how do those contribute to the driving dynamics?

Audis are FWD based, correct? Is that one of the inherent drawbacks compared to a BMW (historically)?

Sincerely curious to better understand this.

Thanks!

Most every FWD-biased SUV-such as the upcoming X1-sends 100% of the power to the front axle and only distributes power to the front axle when the electronics deem it appropriate.

In most cases Audi's Quattro system has a default distribution of 40/60 front to rear- but the center differential can send up to 80% to either axle.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

corvette said:

You had an interior detailing done on the Forester? I thought you were a diy guy?  :s

LOL!

I'm working 16-hour days lately, so not much time for that sort of stuff. Plus, I don't mind cleaning out the inside of a car (my Fiesta looked AWESOME when I sold it), but I don't have the equipment to give this car the deep cleaning it needed. I had to get rid of dog odor, and vacuuming plus a dash treatment just wasn't going to cut it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Picked the car up from service. It was pretty quick & painless. Service advisor called mid AM & asked if I wanted to change the cabin filter & air filter. I declined & told him I would take care of that myself.

My credit card will have an extra $253.55 charge on it nex month. Here's the breakdown:

Full Synthetic oil change (6 quarts of 0w 20, Filter, & gasket) including labor: $60.93

Tire rotation: $19.95

Drain & Fill rear differential fluid with 75w 90 Synthetic Gear Oil: (3 quarts of 75w 90 @ $19.23 each plus 1 hour of Labor @ $120): $177.69

I printed up a $25.00 off any service of $200 or more & handed it to them at the time of write up.

Overall a great experience. Dropped the car off on my way home last night, picked it up on my way home tonight. I was provided with a loaner car free of charge.

I liked the XV Crosstrek, but was happy to get back into my car. The Legacy is much smoother & I immediately felt the extra grunt that my car's 2.5 has over the Crosstrek's 2.0.

I'll see them again in 7,500 miles. I should get in & out for about $70 plus tax.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
     I decided to set up a loaner car when I  Bring the outback in for service this Saturday 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

nyccarguy said:

Picked the car up from service. It was pretty quick & painless.

They must have done more than the rear diff. That's a LOT of oil for a rear differential. Perhaps rear + center/front? Rear diff in a Subie usually is 0.8qt; I think the front is something like 1.5-2.

It's nice when you can find a good place to have your car serviced! I'm always on the defensive when I take my car into the local Subaru dealer. They seem to do good work, but I don't trust them at all with my cars.

My acura dealer offers loaners, but I have never taken one. I've never been there for more than about an hour. so I browse around the showroom, watch a little TV, and be done.

Just had the 30K service done, that was an extra hit (the usual oil change + rotation with a coupon is about $60 + tax). Oil, rotation, trans fluid and front diff fluid changes. Those fluids add up! I think it came out to about $299 OTD.

I did the cabin filter already (quite dirty, nice and easy to change). Was going to do the air filter, but no one carried it. So I paid the dealer price to buy one and take home ($30). Service guy said $20 to install, so I passed on that.

when I put it in, turned out to be the easiest one I ever changed. Took longer to rip open the package and find my maglite to make sure I didn't miss any clips. 2 tension hooks, then lift up the front of the cover. Old one out (also much dirtier than I expected it to be), new one in, snap snap and away we go.

Thankfully nothing expensive for a while. I think rear diff is due at 45K.

Rear diff? Is that part of Subaru's maintenance schedule now, or are you planning on keeping it forever?
    xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

Picked the car up from service. It was pretty quick & painless.

They must have done more than the rear diff. That's a LOT of oil for a rear differential. Perhaps rear + center/front? Rear diff in a Subie usually is 0.8qt; I think the front is something like 1.5-2.

It's nice when you can find a good place to have your car serviced! I'm always on the defensive when I take my car into the local Subaru dealer. They seem to do good work, but I don't trust them at all with my cars.

@xwesx - it does say: "performed front & rear differential service." So that answers your question

corvette said:

Rear diff? Is that part of Subaru's maintenance schedule now, or are you planning on keeping it forever?

Another poster @tyguy who seems to know a whole helluva lot more about Subarus than I do. He suggested to change the differential fluid at 15K, 30K, then follow Subaru's normal schedule which is every 30K I think. This could turn into a forever car. I took out a 6 year loan. 2 years after it should be paid off, my oldest son will be 16. What better first car than a 175 horsepower, 4 cylinder sedan is there?

I could always get the itch and buy something with RWD & a V8 . Keeping the Legacy as my foul weather friend. Who knows?