Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hauls Four Slot Mags - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Audi
imageHauls Four Slot Mags - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

The trunk of our long-term 2015 Audi A3 is large enough to get four old mag wheels to the polisher.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    locke42locke42 Member Posts: 25
    What I don't understand is why don't car manufacturers use gas-assisted plungers, like what some use for the hood? I don't see how the trunk lid is so much heavier than the hood that it requires those massive hinges to begin with.
  • Options
    boffboff Member Posts: 91
    The hinges can be spring-loaded to let the trunk pop all the way open when remotely opened. Struts can't, unless they are powered by an electric motor, which you won't see in this class of vehicle. I think the reason many companies don't cover the hinges like Audi (and BMW) do is because it allows them to state a few extra litres of trunk capacity, although the space impinged by the hinges is useless anyway.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Personally I have been disappointed in the regression back to goose neck hinges on "high end" cars. My 2004 Jetta didn't have them, why does a 2015 Audi?
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Love the wheels; considering putting them on my '68 Camaro.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Scott - Please show us the 'after' pictures once those rims are polished!
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    First, I think Audi deserves credit for carving out such a usable 10 cu ft. A lot of sedans today claim all kinds of numbers, but the trunk itself is so misshapen that using that volume is nearly impossible. Second, I don't think those nested hinges deserve particular praise. That has been the norm for German sedan since the early '90's. Take a look at any Audi, BMW, MB, or VW and you will find hydraulic struts or nested hinges dating back decades.