Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Service Includes Wrong, Random Tire Pressure - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Kia
imageService Includes Wrong, Random Tire Pressure - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Kia K900 returned from a recent complementary service call with wildly inflated tire pressures.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, I don't get why something as important as tire pressure can't be set correctly. To me, there should be an "ideal" PSI for "average" driving and it should be well known to dealers and shops through a formula based on weight and/or list of models. Last time I got new tires at a local tire shop on my Miata they jacked up the PSI to an inconsistent and high 38-42 psi. This is a car that came factory with 26 psi tires. Then, I hear about people using the value on the tire. Huh? Do you not see the word "MAX" on it? That's not the recommended cold temperature!
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    kirkhilles1 - MAX on the sidewall is the MAX cold temperature. The PSI you should use daily should be at least whats on the door jamb.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Pretty bad by the dealer, however, if I had just spent that amount of time and effort establishing the best tire pressures for the car as Scott Oldham had done, I think I would have told the service advisor to set them to those pressures, and made sure they wrote it down on the WO.

I have determined that for my 2011 GTI, I get better tire life if the tires are cross-rotated (they are asymmetric, so no problem doing that). On my recent NYS inspection, they were due for rotation, so I gave specific instructions on rotation and they followed those instructions.

Cameron Rogers perhaps did not know that Scott had gone through that whole optimum-pressure procedure, and when he took the car in, perhaps did not ask that they be set this way. One weakness of the fleet setup...a regular owner who had gone through this process would have done so.

Now you should maybe go and check the oil level, and figure out whether they replaced the air filter or the cabin air filter - in the post on the service visit, Cameron stated they were scheduled to replace the air filter, and I opined that it was probably the cabin air filter rather than the engine air filter. I was correct - so you should take a look to make sure they did what they were supposed to do. And...not to be mean, but - Cameron DOES know the difference - ?
  • Options
    mptlptrmptlptr Member Posts: 17
    95% of people *never* check their tire pressures and freak out when their TPMS light pops up on the dash. Thus, dealers set the pressures sky high so that you can go a long time before the pressures drop enough to trigger a warning.

Sad but true.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I'm one of those anal people with regard to tire pressures. I often drive with the PSI display on so I can watch them increase and make sure they are not getting too high or low. On my older car without TPMS, I feel like I'm blind in this area.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I always set tires to the recommendation on the door jamb. I don't see the point in wearing tires out on the centers, just to get some modest handling improvements at the cost of ride quality and tire life.