Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

A Benchmark Powertrain - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in BMW
imageA Benchmark Powertrain - 2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a long-term test of the 2015 BMW M235i and finds that its straight-six power plant that, despite its age, is in many ways a benchmark engine.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Great write up! I've experienced that BMW throttle delay and it is annoying. What can you do though? Can't have it all!
  • miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    Valvetronic means Congress isn't debating throttle angle, they're debating stepless intake valve lift. The throttle butterfly is held wide open to inhibit pumping losses. Great write up! N55 is an amazing piece.
  • dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    I had a similar issue in my 2011 135i(N55 engine as well) and I shelled out about $500 for the performance software upgrade. It did help dramatically but what really ticked me off is the car was fine when new. After a year or so BMW issued some kind of ECU update which killed the throttle response and neutered the engine. After complaining back and forth with the dealer they decided to pay half of the performance software upgrade which brought back it's power and excellent throttle response. As i will be in the market for a new car soon this issue carrying over to the M235i is sort of a disappointment.
  • mojo_mikemojo_mike Member Posts: 11
    I had that p*ss poor BMW throttle response on my 2014 X1 with the N20 (4 cylinder engine) and ZF 8 speed. A great engine / transmission CRIPPLED by the non-linear response. Lots of gripes of this on the forums. Arcane TPS reset procedures, aftermarket software, etc. out there to try to fix a problem that should not exist. Both dealerships I visited were utterly useless in addressing this problem. Their take - they all do this, learn to deal with it.

My solution? I sold my X1 and purchased a 2015 EcoBoost Mustang. Prefect throttle response. See BMW, it can be done.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    This is where electric cars make more and more sense. I couldn't imagine that these engines "like" being shutdown and started up again constantly, but it's a necessity. With an electric vehicle, there is no drama.
  • dlrodgersdlrodgers Member Posts: 7
    disable start/stop, your M235 will remember that next time too :) as for initial throttle response, ease into it initially and then
    release the hounds...a little finesse goes a long way