Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Huge Trunk, Folding Rear Seats Make It Surprisingly Practical - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Ro

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Dodge
imageHuge Trunk, Folding Rear Seats Make It Surprisingly Practical - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

It may be a 425-horsepower muscle sedan, but our 2007 Dodge Charger is still a practical vehicle when you have work to do.

Read the full story here

Comments

• texanathearttexanatheart Member Posts: 5
    Ah... weak trunk AND hood struts. Been living with those in my '06 300C SRT8 for many years now. I warn the service advisors at the dealership, but they usually respond with, "No problem. We're used to that." I would guess that your Charger already had the hood struts replaced if it doesn't have the same problem.
  • jmick1jmick1 Member Posts: 9
    Same issue with my 04 MZ6. Not expensive and really did only take about 10 minutes to change out. Well worth doing to keep the trunk dropping on your head or back.
  • pokechimp88pokechimp88 Member Posts: 4
    I just caught up with edmunds on their "debt-free" fleet with this new addition...... I'll admit; this is far more than one step in the right direction versus that horrid Benz they had but this car isn't much better.

I am an independent car dealer and the subprime market drools all over these cars; people love them but man, these cars reek under-engineering from every orifice that you can find on them. The front ends in these cars are HORRIBLE; idler arms, balls joints, sway bushings, tie rods, struts, etc. And they tend to give out at such mileage not too far from this example, around 80K! What's more insane is that every 30K the parts will give out AGAIN... without fail. Depending on the work, it can end up costing $1000!!! So I would also be on the look out for the body struts to give out too.

Another problem, which unless edmunds drives the odometer to six digits they probably won't deal with, is a check engine light with P0430 code, and the car will probably need one or both of the catalytic converters replaced. That's a good $700-800 repair for the regular customer

And because these guys decided for a HEMI engine, I have seen a disturbing number of these 5.7L and 6.1L engines with catastrophic engine failures because of a valve seat dropping. I've read on forums that the MDS is a likely culprit due to metal compression and expansion, which occur due to engine temperature changes.

Anyway, I hope these guys have a blast driving these cars as they really are fun to drive; but man, as a dealer, I'll stick to my Impala's, Lucerne's, and new body Taurus' along with all the import stuff; these cars have too many design defects that end up costing me a ton to recondition. Also, the interiors on these gen Charger is horrid; all cheap, hard plastic and where it isn't hollow, it is some foamy sponge material that reeks rental car grade; not cool for a 40K+ car. But again, this is was a daimler-era Chrysler so what is there to be expected?
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    Nice review Pokechimp...what a bummer. I was interested in a 2015 Challenger R/T Scat Pack...how do those compare in your experience? Any better?
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the trunk lid is unlined in a Chrysler product of that year, but this car cost *how* much then?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,317
    I had to replace the rear gate struts on my 2002 Explorer. Listed for $70 each at the dealer. Got the exact same part from Rock Auto for under $50 a pair delivered.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • john405john405 Member Posts: 1
    6.1's do not have MDS