Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Trunk Lid Is Falling Apart - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Jaguar
imageTrunk Lid Is Falling Apart - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Even after some scheduled maintenance, the trunk cover for our long-term 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe is falling apart.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Paint flaking off the plastic gear shift paddles. Glue coming apart on the trunk lid cover. Issues with the Smart Key not being recognized by the car. Clunking from the driver's seat. Creaking parcel shelves. Broken clothes hanger hook.
    It's no wonder Porsche owns this segment. It seems the Jaguar is a poor man's Aston.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Seems Jaguar is overall still not very reliable. Probably not really a concern for wealthy people buying it (or fake-wealthy people leasing it) but definitely a concern for poor people like me.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    JD Power 2015 Initial Quality (IQ) rankings:

1. Porsche (80 PP100)

2. Kia (86 PP100)

3. Jaguar (93 PP100)
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Wouldn't it be better to replace the cover rather than glue it back?
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2015
    s197gt said:

JD Power 2015 Initial Quality (IQ) rankings:
    3. Jaguar (93 PP100)

"provides manufacturers and consumers with information on quality after 90 days of new-vehicle ownership."
    90 days, not 20,000 miles. 90 days is much more of the "I don't like the way the radio works" rather than the "this part fell apart after 2 years worth of driving condensed into a year"

and without seeing the actual breakdown of the scores it isn't that useful because it doesn't tell which makes had complaints about locations of buttons and which had complaints about handles falling off. One of which you can tell during a thorough test drive, the other you can't.

"the study was redesigned to divide consumer-reported problems into two main categories: defect/malfunctions and design issues. Defect/malfunctions include a complete breakdown or malfunction of any component, feature, or item. Design problems include components or features that may be functioning as designed, but are perceived as difficult to use or understand, or in a poor location. Results from both categories are further divided into eight sub-categories?including the driving experience, the engine/transmission, exterior, and interior?to provide even more detail."
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i clearly identified it by the survey's name: INITIAL QUALITY.

you can argue it a hundred different ways and from different perspectives. it may not be useful information to you but it would be to many. it is particularly a good start, and useful to jaguar, in turning around a decades old perception of jaguar's poor reputation for quality.

"provides manufacturers and consumers with information on quality after 90 days of new-vehicle ownership."
    90 days, not 20,000 miles. 90 days is much more of the "I don't like the way the radio works" rather than the "this part fell apart after 2 years worth of driving condensed into a year"

• Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Jaguar has had many owners of it's lifetime but some things remain constant, poor build quality and poor durability. JD powers IQS is one of the most useless surveys around. EVERY car should have good quality the first 90 days! Car companies used to offer 90 day warranties, maybe jag is till stuck in the '60's.
  • Options
    joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    i wonder how much of this particular problem stems from that (glorious) exhaust...
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2015
    s197gt said:

i clearly identified it by the survey's name: INITIAL QUALITY.

And since at 21,000 miles this car is way beyond "INITIAL" your quoting the initial quality rating of Jaguar had no relevance to this post whatsoever.

I just tried to point that out in a nicer way the first time.

As throwback pointed out not falling apart in 90 days is no achievement and if it falls apart in 2 years worth of driving that makes the surviving 90 days even less impressive.
  • Options
    chadoleechadolee Member Posts: 1
    I do not find these problems surprising. typical jaguar/rangerover problems..
  • Options
    socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    Quite a few little issues with this car but overall like most automakers they've made significant improvements in overall quality in the last decade or so, especially in the mechanical and electrical systems, starting with Ford ownership of the brand and continuing with Tata who hasn't starved them of development resources. Sure, there's areas for improvement and quite a few other luxury brands are probably going to hold up a touch better over longer term ownership but I wouldn't be afraid to own a Jaguar, which for me is saying a lot. That and their cars have character many others in the segment lack.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    My '13 Jag XF is heading to 18 months/18k miles. Other than a rattle when the sunshade is pulled all the way back (at least, that's where I think the rattle is...), no problems in driving/owning this beautiful, unique, powerful, smooth, great handling car. The XF started with issues the first model year or two, but Jag turned it around. Edmunds F-Type is a first model year, of an all new model. As a Jag fan, I would have preferred less issues, but as socal_eric above notes, wouldn't scare me away from buying an F-Type. A second year/beyond F-Type, of course!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    coventry_catcoventry_cat Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016
    Same old prejudicial misconceptions regarding the "poor quality/reliability" of Jaguar products - and based on the single example presented here. I've had my 2014 F-type with Black Pack for over 3 years with which I've had very few concerns - only one of which was serious but corrected as soon as it was detected. Nothing is falling off, peeling back or warping. As with all my cars, I take regular care of seat leather and have no signs of the wear or cracking this car has exhibited.