Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    that is one odd thing about my Sonata. Brand new design, all kinds of neat features (the dumb thing always seems to be yelling at me about something!). But it does not have a maintenance minder. Still uses an old fashioned schedule (and the normal OC interval is 7,500 miles). You can set an alert, but you have to go in and plug that in yourself.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    My 2009 Altima was like that. You could set maintenance reminders but they were at fixed intervals you set yourself. 
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    corvette said:

My 2009 Altima was like that. You could set maintenance reminders but they were at fixed intervals you set yourself. 

The Fiesta (2011) was the same way with fixed intervals, but it was factory default at 10K. I always had to turn it off (typically mid-May) a month or two before I actually changed the oil, then remember to reset it again after changing the oil lest it then illuminate even earlier in the year next time. My OCIs ran about 11-13K on that car based on annual mileage.

And, of course, it isn't an easy process like pushing a button. Oh, no. You have to do a song-and-dance routine in order to get it to reset. :@

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Pilot has a maintenance minder. I'm really not sure what its OCIs are. Maybe 7500 miles? Too lazy to look at the service records right now. I use full synthetic, so I know it will go the distance between oil changes without a problem. I usually change oil at the 15% mark.

Subaru doesn't have a maintenance minder. The dealer told me every 7,500 miles. It takes full synthetic as well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Honda says to do it when you hit 15%. Though I think that technically 0% is IT. my cars all seem to come in right around the 7,500 mile mark (The odyssey and RDX both have that). Seems reasonable to me.

• Options
    The Hondas/Acuras that show a percentage are on a variable system that's based on usage. Seems like the V6 models don't usually go as far between changes as the 4-cylinder models on their system.

My Yukon is at 92% (was at 99% when I brought it home). Probably less than 500 miles on the clock during that time. Given all the cold starts I do (GM's system deducts extra for cold starts), I'd be pleased to go 5,000 miles between changes.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Took them less than an hour, was a fuse. Told me some chargers are better than others and to use a good one. Asked about the oil change and my service guy said I can come in at 8.5k if I don't want to go out to 10k, which I probably will. Did see a new TDI model with the alloys I had wanted on it, looks sweet and would've loved those on mine but unfortunately, the lack of communication prevented this. Still like the ones I ended up with but really wanted the TDI ones.
    Weren't too busy for a Tuesday morning but I did get there at 7:25 and was taken right at 7:30. Fixed blown fuse, checked out vehicle, wash and vacuum and drove out at 8:40. Not to bad and hope not to go back until the first oil change. I really do like this vehicle...a lot!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Michaell....good report on th Outback.

Got a letter from STRATEGIC VISION offering me $75 to give my opinion about several luxury brands (Cadillac included). This should be fun.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Neighbor has a 2014 base 5-door Golf with 18" GTI wheels and I think it is lowered. Also has a fart can muffler with a center exit, which would require replacing some trim pieces. It looks nice, but I'm thinking for what all those upgrades cost, you could probably just buy a base GTI?
  • Options

Michaell....good report on th Outback.

Got a letter from STRATEGIC VISION offering me $75 to give my opinion about several luxury brands (Cadillac included). This should be fun.

Please post your answers to some of the questions

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Oh, yes. We'll want that in detail!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    NYC...i told them I'd be willing to participate. To qualify, they asked me some preliminary questions like...

Which car brands are you familiar with, rated 1-5?
    -they named the usual brands...Audi, Buick, Caddy, BMW, Mercedes, Lincoln, Infiniti, Acura, Lexus, Jaguar...etc

Then they asked if I would consider buying any of the brands....(yes to all except for Audi and Caddy).

They asked what I owned (Caddy), and what I liked about it (I said the LED lights and the A/C). Then, asked what I disliked (the phone interviewer got an earful).

I guess I qualified for the final interview to get $75 si

She said the next interview would go into more depth of why I would or wouldn't buy each brand.

So, they're calling back in a week. I'll be very frank with them.
  • Options
    Well worth the $75!

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    I have entered a raffle, first prize is a Caddy CTS or $50k. What to choose, what to choose...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options

I have entered a raffle, first prize is a Caddy CTS or $50k. What to choose, what to choose...

LOL!!!!!!
  • Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Oh, if I wanted to get into car buying I'd have bought stick's Volvo. Heck, I'm still tempted by the thing.

Don't have the Camry back yet but by the time it's done they'll have paid me about $600 more than I paid for the car and about $1K more than the cost of the repair. But I really did want that car fixed.

We have a Sentra as a rental until Tuesday but the Camry won't be ready yet. All in good time.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    fezo said:
    Oh, if I wanted to get into car buying I'd have bought stick's Volvo. Heck, I'm still tempted by the thing. Don't have the Camry back yet but by the time it's done they'll have paid me about $600 more than I paid for the car and about $1K more than the cost of the repair. But I really did want that car fixed. We have a Sentra as a rental until Tuesday but the Camry won't be ready yet. All in good time.
    How has the Sentra been for you?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    It's not bad. Light years ahead of my old 85 Sentra. This one can get out of its own way which you couldn't say about the old one. Handles nicely, comfortable and reasonably quiet. I don't suspect I'd win any red light races but it's not slow.

Perfectly competent little car. I'd take one over a lot of the competition, though if they offered a Civic or a 3 I'd take either one.
  • Options
    I liked the Sentra I saw. we sat in a couple, but did not drive. was not that exciting, but yes, seemed like a lot of room and features for the money, and good MPG.

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2015
    With over 7,000 miles now on the Charger, and the first service accomplished last week [ no issues, so far! ] it is clearly time for me to start looking for my next car purchase . . .

A recent announcement by BMW has me intrigued.
    The newest addition to the 3 Series line [ replacing the 335i ] is the 340i. There are enhancements to the steering and suspension, they claim. The sports seats I prefer are now standard on this model. And they are finally increasing the HP & TQ – by adding an entirely new engine!

So -
    The 340i is a 4 door - my preference is that there be doors for access, if the car has a usable back seat!
    The 340i has an 8-speed automatic [ a close relative of the trans. in the Charger ] where my 2011 335iS had a dual clutch 7-speed trans. Very good for enthusiastic driving, not so great for the stop & slow commuting I still need to do.
    The 340i has approx. the same HP & TQ as the 335iS – and similar weight, it appears. So I am predicting low 13s in the quarter.
    The 340i [ I assume ] will likely have EPA & ‘real world’ fuel mileage very similar to [ if not better than ] the current 335i – and therefore much better than my 335iS.
    [ EPA 2015 335i with the 8-speed autom. = 21 city 32 hiway.
    The 335iS was rated at 17 city and 24 hiway. ]
    There is a ‘full color’ head up display available.
    [ I have not had a HUD since the 2007 Corvette I bought. ]
    And the pricing [ configured as I would likely buy - with Nav & the HUD, etc. ] is less than the 335iS was, in 2011 – without the Nav & HUD.

Anyway, start of production is scheduled for 15 July, so I expect that these will start arriving on dealer lots by Labor Day.

I plan to drive one, at least.

- Ray
    Unlikely to punch again this year, but . . .

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    I have lost any and all interest in any new BMW save the M3/4- and will probably never buy a new or CPO BMW ever again. The "wearers" have won- the cars are now just numb cushy barges loaded with a double helping of technology to impress the badge wh0res.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Ray, any car with as many miles as your Charger is a ticking time bomb. My advice to you, and I am both pre-med and pre-law, is to start shopping heavily!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    HR-V's are selling well in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area it seems. Saw 3 today on the Palmetto Expressway within about five minutes...black, silver and white. The black honestly looked the best with the white not to bad but the silver was just awful for some reason. Saw a dark gray unit at the dealer and was real sweet but the best color is the plum they have, for some reason it just fits this vehicle. All 3 drivers were women so I think the majority of buyers will be though my random sample isn't very scientific.
    Saw a white Chevy Trax on Monday and I like it also to be honest...like the exterior better than the Encore but prefer the Encore's interior. Think Chevy will be selling a boatload of those also since they really are a very practical size with excellent petrol numbers. Personally, we no longer need or want a mid size vehicle as two of our three kids have their own rides and usually it's only four of us in the car when the girls pop in for a day or two. The small ute's are the perfect size for us and fit nicely in the garage. Luckily we're not in the market for anything and hopefully won't be until the next decade if all goes well with our German cousins. But I knew I'd love the HR-V the minute I heard about it as it, and the GM ute's, have everything I wanted when I got my Tucson though I did check out the Encore at the same time. It just didn't do anything for me at the time. Hoping my little V-Dub behaves itself with no more issues or plans could change though I'd really like to go for another ownership record with it, I like it that much!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Chrome running board on the farm truck was chipped:

I bought a roll of chrome tape at Autozone for $6 and made it look a lot better, especially from a distance:

We'll see how it holds up. I think a new running board is $200--not in the cards considering how minor the damage is.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2015
    Looks great in the pic. Even if it wears in a year, it's cheap enough to rinse and repeat annually.

Got a 6" crack in the van windshield today. Right now it's just a circular curve in the lower passenger corner so it will be livable unless it takes a tangent and spreads.
  • Options

• Options
    I'm back at the MINI dealer for the second time in two days.

you may remember that it was caught in a major hailstorm last fall. There were many issues getting the body work done so the repairs weren't completed until mid-April. 

Anyway, the windshield washers weren't working well so I set up an appointment to have them looked at. When I checked in yesterday, the service advisor said it was due for an oil change as well. OK.  Anyway, the service department is open until 10 on Fridays so I picked it up after dark and brought it home. Washed inside and out as well, plus all the wiper blades and cabin air filter were swapped out. Nice. 

Until this morning - wife and daughter were heading out for a hair appointment and they noticed that the chrome trim ring around the  passenger headlight was missing. So I called the dealer this morning and they have me bring it up. They will replace the part, but of course it has to be ordered and I won't see it until next week. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Michaell said:

I'm back at the MINI dealer for the second time in two days.

you may remember that it was caught in a major hailstorm last fall. There were many issues getting the body work done so the repairs weren't completed until mid-April. 

Anyway, the windshield washers weren't working well so I set up an appointment to have them looked at. When I checked in yesterday, the service advisor said it was due for an oil change as well. OK.  Anyway, the service department is open until 10 on Fridays so I picked it up after dark and brought it home. Washed inside and out as well, plus all the wiper blades and cabin air filter were swapped out. Nice. 

Until this morning - wife and daughter were heading out for a hair appointment and they noticed that the chrome trim ring around the  passenger headlight was missing. So I called the dealer this morning and they have me bring it up. They will replace the part, but of course it has to be ordered and I won't see it until next week. 

Were they ever going to bring it up to you? Obviously, their screw-up was up to you to find.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2015
    She might have to get used to parts falling off her Mini. They're kinda noted for that.
  • Options
    No punch here but I'm spending the next several days in A Dodge Charger which so far has exceeded any expectations, not that that takes much... But it's quite nice, has oomph, cruise along quickly and quietly and entertaining for the class. A few dumb or not well thought out elements but I'll be fine with it for a week.
  • Options
    still amazed at the MPG big cars can get this day. took a run in the Sonata up to N. Jersey from S. Jersey to visit the old folks. mostly highway, with a little local on the ends.

per the TC (which tends to run a smidge high) I got 35.6 up, and 35.9 coming back. so rounding down, still close to 35 travelling. Not flying, mostly 65-75, but not loafing.

that is a lot of range on an 18.5 gallon tank! especially compared to a compact with a 13.2 gallon or so tank, that won't get much higher MPG. and certainly won't cruise along as comfortably.

• Options
    I'm satisfied when the Yukon breaks into the double digits on the MPG gauge. Bought a 3M adhesive removal wheel at Pep Boys this morning and used it to remove the deteriorated silver pinstripes on both sides. Looks cleaner without them anyway. There is a faint line where the pinstripe used to be, but I think some buffing with rubbing compound will make it less noticeable.
  • Options
    The 5 doesn't get that kind of mileage but has a pretty nice range.

This Charger is impressing me. Maybe its first real wheel drive in ages with the exception of a couple BMWs that were just single trips. It could use more power in the stereo but even with the six it doesn't need more power. This is not to say I wouldn't take more power.... The dashboard has some quirks but as the owner of a Mazda 5 I'm not in much position to criticize dashboards.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    edited June 2015
    nyccarguy said:
    Well, they are correct. I see a whole mess of 2012s with UNDER 12k miles for $8k-$10k, and it doesn't seem to matter if its an SL or SV.

HOWEVER, you can get a similar (in year and mileage) Mazda3 hatch for about $2k-$2500 more and not have to keep your trips to within 32 miles of the house, so that probably explains why the Leaf has depreciated somewhere around 60-70% in just 3 years.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    will they allow a Leaf on the golf course?

:p
  • Options
    Yeah, but if a balll lands on it you have to play it where it lies.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    Maybe test drive story will get the collective buying juices flowing. At lunch today I drove a GLA 250 4Matic.

Neat looking little CUV in white over black MB-tex. Stickered a little over 44k but pretty well loaded for this class:

sport package (includes some great looking AMG wheels)
    premium package
    multi-media package (back up cam, nav and some other stuff I'd likely not use)
    pano roof
    bi-xenons

Front seats were very comfortable and was easy to find a good driving position. Dash looks great with some tasteful bright work and round AC vents. AC controls placed a little low though. Of course it had the iPad attached to the dash but unless you go big in the MB line up now, this is what you are getting. Fit and finish was good and quality of materials just ok. Most upper surfaces looked and felt good but some of the lower surfaces were cheapy looking and feeling hard plastic. Its not an ML and I am fine with a little use of the hard plastics in less conspicuous areas at this price point but in my experience over time hard plastics rattle and squeak.

I'm short so the rear seat legroom felt ok but YMMV. Cargo area, especially with the shelf removed, would be perfectly functional for me but not the type of vehicle to take the kids to Wally World. Great for you and the SO to take a long weekend in though.

Drives very well. I mean very well. For only 208 hp, the turbo 4 is a torquey little thing and I never felt like it was struggling at all. A little noise when you step on it but thats ok in my book, otherwise pretty quiet. I did about 50/50 on the drive in sport mode vs eco mode. Sport is of course more fun but eco would be perfectly acceptable for putt putting along in stop and go traffic. Handling was sharp. I took a few corners quickly and it never felt tippy or a disturbing amount of body roll.

Styling is so objective I won't spend a lot of time on it but to say I like it. The hood is a little long when you look at the profile but didn't cause any issues driving or parking as far as visibility.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    Just caught up on backlog of magazines yesterday. One was consumers reports where they tested the GLA. Pretty much roasted it.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    stickguy said:

Just caught up on backlog of magazines yesterday. One was consumers reports where they tested the GLA. Pretty much roasted it.

I'm not a member so I couldn't see the full review on line but what I could see didn't seem like they hated it. But man, are they not a fan of the CLA. I'm not either for the record but its strictly from a styling point, haven't driven one.

All of the German brands are going down market now and getting hammered for it. I've only driven the A3 and the GLA both of which I like. Like any other German make one leaves the near 30k starting price in the distance when you start adding options. I don't necessarily like them dumbing down the brand, especially BMW, and making lesser vehicles for the masses but they are selling apparently.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I was pretty impressed with the GLA when the wife and I test drove it last year. I was really liking the styling when it came out, but I'm not quite as endeared with it as I was back then for some reason. Not so much that I would take it off the list, but just not quite as thrilled anymore.

I did think it was a bit cramped, but then again I was in my 5-series at the time. Coming from my Mazda3, or the wife's GTI, I'm sure it would seem just fine and more than adequate.

I agree on the performance - I found the 2.0 turbo to be pretty engaging.

I think the perception of the quality of some of these new entry-level cars from the luxury makes depends on what you compare it to. The GLA (and CLA) may pale a bit in comparison to the new C-class and other MB vehicles, but when we looked at it, I was more comparing it more to the wife's GTI. I mean, her fully-loaded GTI has an MSRP of almost $33k. It seemed a reasonably well-equipped GLA would be right around $40k. I think that price difference makes the Mercedes look pretty good, especially considering the addition of AWD.

Same goes for the A3.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    blackbelt76blackbelt76 Member Posts: 19
    It's what we in sales call "the stroker"..people like you come into a dealership to waste the time of people trying to earn a living. I can spot your type a mile off in fog and avoid you like the black plaque!
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    I guess he really told you,. breld. I'm even worse- shopping a Mustang GT, WRX STI, and a Challenger R/T simultaneously.
    I am SO ashamed... :DB):p

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    It's what we in sales call "the stroker"..people like you come into a dealership to waste the time of people trying to earn a living. I can spot your type a mile off in fog and avoid you like the black plaque!
    You appear (note that I said "appear") to be the kind of car salesman I avoid like the plague!  I was a dealership sales manager, and if what you seem to be is true, you would be pink-slipped by me personally if your attitude was spreading through my dealership!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Popcorn ready. This should be fun!
  • Options
    Is potiac back?

And isn't it "stroke," not stroker?"