Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Civic/Accord Battery Drain

jjconejjcone Member Posts: 1
edited September 2017 in Honda
Could any 2013 Accord owner post how long your battery lasts without driving?
My brand new Accord lasts 5 days. I hope this is not "normal" as I would never have purchased such a vehicle.

Comments

• jjjaymmmanjjjaymmman Member Posts: 43
    Ahh.... You may need a new battery or your car may have short somewhere. My neighbor has a 2013 civic and was gone (military) for 2 weeks. He had no problems starting his vehicle when he returned. Hope this helps.
  • from_mhanafrom_mhana Member Posts: 1
    Today my Honda Accord 2013 did not start. I gave it a jump start and took it to the dealership. They replaced the battery and told me it had a dead cell and failed the battery test. I only bought my Honda 6 month ago!! and left it 2 days without driving!!...did not expect this from a Honda..!!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I only bought my Honda 6 month ago!! and left it 2 days without driving!!...did not expect this from a Honda..!!

Um, I'm not sure it's a Honda problem inasmuch as it is a battery problem. Use a different manufacturer. Honda didn't make the battery. It is odd, though.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Honda approved the battery to put in their car, so ultimately the blame is theirs.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Do we know for sure an interior light wasn't left on? (Sorry, I missed some earlier posts). I'm certainly no Honda apologist. I've owned two. One great, one decent. I currently drive a car from a different manufacturer and like it.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Not sure about interior lights.

I have a 2012 Honda Civic and went 4 days without driving it. It started with no problem.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • fairgirlfairgirl Member Posts: 2
    I had a problem with something draining the battery on my car. A friend of mine did some research and found a service bulletin #12-041 that came out around Nov. 2012 pertaining to Civics. The fix is simple - the dealership has to upgrade the car's software with PGM-FI software.
    The software helps the car determine your driving habits and makes adjustments so the alternator continues to charge the battery.

The dealership had my car almost four days and was about to give it back to me saying nothing was wrong. I told them about this bulletin and the software. They told me there was no such software for my car. A few minutes later it was being installed and took less than a half hour. It's odd they had it there and readily available but for almost four days did nothing.

Another employee told me this service bulletin will probably be a future recall. I lost confidence in Honda and the dealership. I drove out and traded the car for a Toyota. Now I don't have to say a prayer hoping every time I turn the key the car will start.

I also called Honda Corp. and I was told to call the dealership's service department and TELL them how to fix my car, what to check, etc. If I had that type of knowledge, I could fix it myself. What a joke they turned out to be - no help.

I hope this information helps a lot of people. Don't give up.
  • fairgirlfairgirl Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with the battery dying. I had the car towed to the dealership. They kept it for four days. I went to pick it up because I got tired of waiting for someone to call me. They said after driving it, letting it stand without starting it, etc, they couldn't find anything wrong.

A friend of mine researched the problem and found a service bulletin #12-041 that said in order to fix the problem, the car software would have to be upgraded with software program PGM-FI. I gave this information to the service dept. and they told me there was no such software for my car. A few minutes later, I was told the software was being installed and it took less than a half hour. A half hour job turned into not having my car for four days.

I can't believe Honda had no knowledge of this service bulletin that came out around Nov. 2012 and how to fix the problem. Apparently, the upgraded software lets the alternator give juice to the battery regardless of your driving habits.

I lost faith and confidence in Honda. I left the lot and drove to a Toyota dealer. I now own a Toyota.

I called Honda Corp. and they told me because I was the owner that it was my responsibility to call the service dept. and tell them exactly what I wanted them to check, how to check it, etc. If I had that knowledge, I could have fixed the car myself. They did not help. They weren't surprised when they heard what my complaint was about.

While I was at the dealership, another employee said this service bulletin will probably be a future recall.

I hope this helps everyone out there who are being told it's their driving habit because it isn't. It's Honda's responsibility and they are not stepping up to the plate; instead, they are blaming the consumer.
  • dawnsridedawnsride Member Posts: 1

I bought a 2013 Honda Accord back in august and the first cold weather BELOW ZERO DAYS my battery died, took it to dealership and they said its fine. So brought it home and 3 days later the battery was dead again, so once again I took it back to the dealership spent 2 hours and they said it just needed charged the very next day it died again this time it finally it showed battery was dead. So battery was replaced. So now battery is dead again and weather here is -6 ° so I'm at a loss of what to do. So the weather is below zero again and my battery is dead again.

• sandy3858sandy3858 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014

Similar problem as dawnsride on January 29. 2013 Accord EX would not start a week ago. Jumped by AAA and tech told me battery would not hold a charge. Car driven to dealer who checked out the problem and found no problem, but allegedly installed some software to prevent the non-existent problem. Service advisor mentioned an "eco" battery and suggested driving the vehicle regularly (at least every 2-3 days) to keep battery charged. If not driving that often, buying a trickle charger was suggested. A trickle charger?? Unbelievable. It's a 2013 model, not a 1913. Incredible. I paid 20K for a "dependable" Accord that was a Consumer Report top pick? Oh, by the way, one week and 100 miles later, my top rated Accord EX didn't start last night and it's going back to the dealer today. Stay tuned, Accord owners.

• sandy3858sandy3858 Member Posts: 2

UPDATE: Dealer checked the car out again and this time replaced the battery claiming similar Accord issues were due to "a bad batch of batteries." By the way, there is a great article in 8/21/2012 issue of The Globe and Mail online newspaper re new cars and batteries. Nevertheless, the consumer needs to expect the manufacturer to provide a dependable battery regardless of the vehicle's bells and whistles.

• sonicmavensonicmaven Member Posts: 6

Dawnsride hit this on the head. Purchased in summer and always slow to turn over. Come cold weather and started every few days it would act like it was dead but eventually start. But let it set 2 weeks or more and dead battery. Mine was delivered with a dead battery......salesman tried to tell me that "Honda delivers new cars from the factory with half-charged battery". Yes, sadly he is still selling cars. After being towed from a funeral, it has died 6 times total. Checked 3 times and told 'no dead cells' - no parasitic draw on the electrical system. Service manager was not going to replace just a few days ago, but I demanded he call Honda District manager. He declined. Dealership put new battery in at their cost. Sounds like Honda has a battery problem...........ARE YOU LISTENING HONDA?????????

• flyoneflyone Member Posts: 1

I just bought a new Honda Accord EX on 6/4/2014. I didn't drive it for 2 weeks and the battery is not working. I had it jump start and drove it for 20 minutes on 6/18/2014. Then, the next day the battery is not working again. I gotta go back to the dealership this Saturday to check it out.

• vd500vd500 Member Posts: 2

A D V E R T I S E M E N T S

I am having the same problem as the previous guys. They updated the software, changed for the stronger battery. Has been in the shop four times about twenty five days. The third time they had to admit the problem because I caught my dead car right at the service when they called me to pick it up. Today I picked up the car after ten days and lied that it never lost the charge. They try to blame it on my after market auto starter but it happened three times before the installation and one time after they totally uninstalled it. I was told to drive it 30 miles every day. If it never died on them within ten days /the same miles in and out/ why would they suggest I should drive it every day? Total nonsense!

In my sixty years I have never been the car's slave. Take the trips to nowhere just to keep it charged? The most ridiculous suggestion ever!!! They claim that so much electronics require longer rides. Well, why don't you say to customers that the car is for long commuters when you are selling it? My daughter bought new Audi which is more loaded and drives only locally and has no such a problem. At this point they don't know what they are doing so just keep telling lies and I am thinking to call the car lemon. At this point I am saying a prayer every time I go to drive. Please contact me if you have any suggestions. Thank you

• vd500vd500 Member Posts: 2

I forgot to mention that this is Honda Accord 2013 bought new and presently has 2750 miles.

• sportownersportowner Member Posts: 1
    I have had this happen with my 2014 Accord Sport since I bought it at the end of last year. They replaced the battery and also a multiplexer harness. It would only take 3-5 days to die (December to February timeframe). I was pleased when it didn't have any problems after a long 2-week trip, but that was at a different (warmer) time of year. Today, we had temps of about 20 deg F during the day, and my car was very slow to start after just 9 hrs in the lot at work. I'm now convinced that it is truly tied to temperature, and that there's a very, very sudden drop in life when we go below freezing. Just having it be "cold" is not enough to do it.

As far as I've been told, there are no software updates for 2014 Accords, and I'm reluctant to just settle for a replacement battery (a more heavy-duty one, either at my own cost, or the dealer's) in case there is some sort of other underlying issue that I'd be masking.

Has anyone had this issue and been completely convinced of it being resolved 100%?
  • johng20johng20 Member Posts: 1
    In 2014, my 2009 Honda Accord, when left idle for 4 days, drains the battery enough to where it would not start. After much research and discussion with knowledgeable people, the problem was resolved by installing an on-off switch on the minus battery terminal. When leaving the car idle for any extended period, I simply turn the switch off which prevents any drain. The switch is easy to install and can be found at any auto parts store for about $25. Trying to troubleshoot the problem down to the component that is causing the drain is a loser.
  • pilotnoworkpilotnowork Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2011 Honda Pilot and have had it for only a few months. It's now on its 3rd battery - the one that came in it and 2 new ones - that the dealer told me each developed a BAD CELL? They can't seem to find what is killing the batteries? I'm NOT SURE Honda knows what it is doing? (So actually it will be on its 4th one - it's still at the dealer but they are trying to get a heavy duty battery.)
  • 13hondacivic13hondacivic Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2013 civic and I have had electrical issues and it has stalled out along with transmission issues. I don't know if this is related to your battery issue in your accord but maybe its a Honda thing? It could've just been a bad battery too so who knows but makes you wonder
    I will never buy another honda after the experience with my civic
    Purchased a 2011 Honda Pilot and have had it for only a few months. It's now on its 3rd battery - the one that came in it and 2 new ones - that the dealer told me each developed a BAD CELL? They can't seem to find what is killing the batteries? I'm NOT SURE Honda knows what it is doing? (So actually it will be on its 4th one - it's still at the dealer but they are trying to get a heavy duty battery.)

all of the used car lots I've seen have pilots. Their all over. So the resale value must be really crappy. Its amazing how Hondas have taken a down turn overall. Their not made like they used to be

• bill_in_sjbill_in_sj Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2014 Honda Civic. Our car will not start after it has been sitting for 3 weeks or more. Honda acknowledges that the sleep mode of the car still drains the battery at .018AMP/Hr. So doing the math, this will drain the battery sufficiently that it will not start somewhere around 3 weeks. Honda does not consider this as a problem that needs to be corrected.
  • daughjohn72daughjohn72 Member Posts: 1
    Replace the air conditioning compressor relay.  It sticks internally and causes the Ac compressor to stay engaged and it drains the battery
  • armyscifiguyarmyscifiguy Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2013 Accord EX-L Navi which would not start after 1 week of not being used. Took it to dealer, Ciocca Honda in Harrisburg, PA, where we purchased, and told it was just a dead battery and to drive it every 3 days to keep it charged. I told them that it is ridiculous to have to do that. Told me to buy a trickle charger. They refused to replace battery. Took the vehicle home and let it sit in my garage for 6 days and after that; it wouldn't start. Took it back to dealer and battery replaced at my cost. I had owned it for 5 months and purchased as a Certified Used Vehicle and they refused to cover the cost of a battery that lasted only 5 months after our purchase. I am going to let it sit in my garage for 1 week and see what happens. The Service Rep continues to tell me that this is normal for these vehicles to have to be run at least weekly to maintain their charge. What a joke after spending $22,000 for a supposedly reliable vehicle.
  • ziplinerzipliner Member Posts: 2
    My 2013 Civic with 8,000 miles on it has started having battery failing problems. My dealer says that the remote starter is always "on line" so will draw the battery down if not driven for a few days. It has been below zero for several days and not started for two so they may have a point. Will get it tested and see what shakes out. Under warranty for another six months but I'm not going to pay through the nose for labor to have it
    replaced. We shall see.
  • aggie89aggie89 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2013 Honda Accord EX-L in October 2013 and even though it had no noticeable issues at first it wasn't long before a rebberband effect appeared. The car does not accelerate properly; a period of time after stepping on the accelerator it then responds with a noise and slight movement that is followed by the type of acceleration it should have had seconds earlier. This is a safety hazard that Honda knew about yet did not back its $30k product.

On top of that a rapid battery drain problem has come up. The car has 11,000 miles in mid-2016 and the 2.5 year-old battery lost all power when the car was parked and unused for a numbers of days. I replaced it with a new one and in a few days the new battery has been drained. This is another safety hazard considering I have a disabled family member who cannot afford to be left stranded. I have noticed that many owners of 2013 Accords and Civics have this problem. Honda needs to recall this vehicle but probably won't. It's my fourth Honda and definitely my very last!!! This car might as well have "made in China" on the sticker.
  • rocky128rocky128 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with 2012 Honda Civic it doesn't start if left for 2-3 days without driving . I am going to replace a 2 new battery out of pocket. Although I had a comprehensive coverage at that time. Got all the maintainence done from Honda. Just 45000 kms driven. Any permanent solution for that?
  • truckergal79truckergal79 Member Posts: 2
    rocky128 said:
    I have the same problem with 2012 Honda Civic it doesn't start if left for 2-3 days without driving . I am going to replace a 2 new battery out of pocket. Although I had a comprehensive coverage at that time. Got all the maintainence done from Honda. Just 45000 kms driven. Any permanent solution for that?

• truckergal79truckergal79 Member Posts: 2
    Did you try the software update?..not sure if it was just for the 2012 ....and go get an aftermarket battery not a hands!!
  • lsbow01lsbow01 Member Posts: 1
    4 batteries in 4 years! I purchsed my Honda Accord new in 2013. In 2014 my battery died and they replaced it under warranty. A year later it dies again after going back and forth with the service department they gave me another battery! Well today marks 1 year 2 months and my car wouldn't start this morning! Roadside assistance jumped my car and off to the dealership I go. This time I pay to have the wiring test done only to hear there is no issue with the car just another bad battery! But of course they won't replace for free! If the battery warranty says 8 years and my battery has to be replaced every year who should pay for that? After reading all of the battery issues on here my question is.....when is Honda going to admit there is something wrong with the batteries or the cars! I will never own another Honda!
  • jvandermeulenjvandermeulen Member Posts: 1
    2017 CRV (new): battery dead 3x in 10 weeks. First time, I figured it must be my fault (although no lights were left on etc). Second time my husband took it to the dealer, they recharged the battery and said to drive it more so he took it to work the next day (100 miles RT). 2 days later, dead again; dealer checked the battery & said it was fine, checked for draws, checked for codes, said no problem. Told them "Okay if it's not the battery then it's the car. It's a lemon. Give me a new car." So they gave me a new battery. Here's the kicker: service rep told me the car NEEDS TO BE DRIVEN EVERY DAY. At least every other day. I said that when I lived in the Manhattan, I kept a Civic in a parking garage for the weekends, and she said the new batteries aren't that strong anymore. WTH? So if you use your spouse's car for Thanksgiving or Christmas to visit family, your own Honda will be dead when you return? If you leave your Honda at the airport parking lot for a business trip, the battery will be dead when you get back? If you commute by driving your Honda during the week and don't drive on weekends your car will be dead every Monday?
  • Civicgal29aCivicgal29a Member Posts: 12
    Sometimes it takes me like 5 or 6 times to start my stupid car, no joke. And I mean where I'm pushing start and letting my car try really really hard for the full 10s each time. So yeah, my battery has always been decent or I wouldnt be able to keep trying until the dumb thing started LOL

In all seriousness, I had to replace the original battery a few months back after my Ex bf totally screwed me (my car wasn't starting the first couple times so he just tried and tried until he killed my battery, like 7 or 8 attempts he said). I found out later he was driving other girls around in my car that night, so you could say it was karma.

Obvi we broke up, but somehow I ended up paying the price long term.  I swear, ever since getting my new battery my cars been acting weird when I'm trying to start it. It stumbles like almost every time I start it this week. 3 times since then it didn't start the 1st time and took numerous other attempts before finally starting.

This dumb car is really embarrassing me now. Like my one work friend knows how much it bugs me, so he's been a jerk about it, like he made me drive everywhere this week and nicknamed my (beloved) car rickety stickedy the second time he was with me.  I shouldn't have told him my car was stuttering a ton (the tach wiggles and the whole thing shakes when I'm trying it, it seemed rougher so I mistakenly mentioned it to him).  I know he thinks it's hilarious, but I just turn beat red everytime it hiccups or stumbles when I'm trying to start it. I don't know why I let it, but its def in my head now.  I spent the whole day at work Friday preoccupied wondering how bad I'd be when I left (ironically it started right up). I stopped volunteering to drive friends this week after they were all chiming in taking cheap shots at my car, I just walked off I was so annoyed

I think I'd rather have a defective battery than this stupid issue though!  When my car stumbles, people always stare and it drives me nuts (I can only imagine it's bc it is surprising seeing and hearing a new-ish car struggling so freaking bad, especially a Honda) 
    https://youtu.be/RhoO9hP8ybA

So um, yeah... My car has like never been the same since he did that. But my hard starts are slightly diff now (but way more often). Like I don't see the green key flash (new fob batt), and I don't have to hold start down to make it keep trying. It gets way closer every time now than it ever did for ryan in that video. One of the only reasons I'll keep trying even though I know its not great for my car is bc it gets so freaking close every time it fails.  My friend always tries to lecture me on it when it happens with her in the car. I guess when it's that close, Id feel stupid if I didn't try one more time. I'm just mad he kept trying when it really wasn't even close to starting that night (at least the last couple he recorded).  

I would have stopped trying before I killed my baby, but I guess I'm kinda like just as bad. I was actually kinda freakin last month. It took 5 or 6 tries to start up. But after a few, it started trying a little slower, but still seemed really close to starting every time. I thought I was screwed hearing it slow down, but kept thinking, one more time. The very next time, after it tried like the whole 10s (slowly lol), it finally started.  Battery has been OK ever since, but I've only had it act up a few times since my own scare, and I only had to try 3x before it started (sounds bad when I say it like that I guess).  I feel like my car must have a bad starter or something. Most days its stuttering a lot when cranking, even when it starts the first time. It hiccups after a few secs of normal starting most times now, I hate that stupid sound it's pitiful. Last night i was feeling good after it started up the first time leaving target, even though it stuttered pretty bad 2x in 8 or 9 secs. Then the old guy next to me loading his trunk knocked on my window just to tell me how bad my car just sounded and I should never crank it that long. He tried to say when it shakes and stutters that badly I should quit trying. I didn't mention that was a win for me, I just told him it's push button start so yell at the car not me
    https://youtu.be/3eicTKVkc4Y

Just for reference, mine when it struggles but starts its sounding kinda like this. It does this prob half the times I try starting my car now. Thank God for push button start cuz I'd let go of the key each time it faked me out. I really can't tell bc it stops the normal shaking when it's trying, so it really feels just like it started. 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    When was your last tune up?
    Back in march i had them take a look when they did oil/tire rotation, but of course, my car started just fine for 2 days straight for them. The tech treated me like i was dumb, since my car has the push start button. he was like, make sure your foot is pressing the brake down. Duh dude, it wouldnt even try if i wasnt obvi. i tried to tell him i'm not stupid, and explained how it sounds like its trying super hard to start, just takes me a few times sometimes

I'm just curious why it does this to me, it sucks. It's def been better lately, but last weekend my car wouldnt start again until the 4th time i tried (like wtf, i thought i was golden finally). unfortunately i'm out of warranty for the past year. Basically ever since it started doing this
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    When you take the car to get it looked at, the tech isn't treating you like you are dumb when they ask questions and try to get you to give them details that might help them recreate the symptom. If they don't get to experience the problem first hand while testing they have nothing to work from so they keep trying to find if there is something there that you might have noticed that while it may seem insignificant to someone else just might lead to the answer more efficiently.

When the car struggles to start, do you press on the gas pedal at all? Do you ever try pressing it to the floor while it's cranking? What is the ambient temperature when it fails to start? What about the humidity? Is it raining, or close to raining? How long had the car been parked when attempting to restart? How long was it driven prior to parking it?

None of those questions are about anything other than searching for a pattern that might get the car to present the symptom. Have you created a log that would help show how many times the car starts normally as compared to the times and dates when it fails or struggles to start?
  • cashstarvedcashstarved Member Posts: 1
    I am having this battery drain problem with a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L now which I purchased for my daughter 4 months ago. It is not driven much and sits idle for 4-5 days at sometimes while she is waiting to get her license. I replaced the battery myself a few months ago. It died a few weeks later, so I took it to Honda service on Jan 6th, 2020. Honda said the battery was fine after charging the battery fully and doing an expensive parasitic draw test when the vehicle was locked, which came back normal. Friday Feb 7th it was dead again, so I jumped it (which took a while) and took it back to the shop.

Today Feb 10th, I was told that the battery which was good a month ago has a dead cell, so it needs replaced similar to several replies in this thread. I asked about the service bulletin mentioned above SB 12-041 and the service technician said it is not applicable to my car, even though I explained repeatedly what I had been reading to him and other users experiences with 2013 Honda accords and eerily similar stories from multiple users on this forum. Thanks all for the detail! Specifically he said that the SB-041 was from 2012 and since my car is a 2013 Honda would have vetted already. I explained that my car went into service in 2012, even though it is a model year 2013. No dice there either.

I asked him what I should do in a week or so when it is dead again, he politely but stubbornly insisted that SB-041 is not the issue because of my VIN. He said if it occurred again, Honda would do another parasitic draw test, of course at my cost. I am not too impressed with Honda, and do not know what to do at this point. The vehicle is fully serviced on every level as to be as safe and ready as possible for my daughter. It's a really good car. I am losing faith in the vehicle and in Honda on account of this.

I would appreciate some advise, if this is something I can do myself I will give it a go.