Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

It's what we in sales call "the stroker"..people like you come into a dealership to waste the time of people trying to earn a living. I can spot your type a mile off in fog and avoid you like the black plaque!

Lol, not sure if this was directed at me or at Breld but either way, its funny...

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    fezo said:

Is potiac back?

And isn't it "stroke," not stroker?"

Hmmm.. isn't it the black plague, not black plaque? I'd hate to see that guys teeth...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    kyfdx said:

fezo said:

Is potiac back?

Hmmm.. isn't it the black plague, not black plaque? I'd hate to see that guys teeth...
    Good point!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    fezo said:

Is potiac back?

You got it right. the term is "Stroke", not Stroker!
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Wow! That was unexpected. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

A "stroker" with "black plaque" conjures up all manner of unpleasant images.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    He/she is also trolling over on the Real World Trade-in Values board.   :o
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    thebean said:

He/she is also trolling over on the Real World Trade-in Values board.   :o

I looked at their history of posts. All very confrontational. All ripping consumers for trying to get the best price possible.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Dude probably had an unfortunate customer who actually did some shopping and took the time to be informed before heading to the dealership. While he was in the midst of spewing all his usual tricks, the customer manages to say something about "Edmunds.com," and the rest is history. :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,097

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    So, back from the Amish world. Power went out at 6:00 tuesday when the bad storm line (close to tornados in the area). Just came on about an hour ago. So just over 48 hours. Lucky, because as of today, the power company was estimating Noon Saturday. By then, with a couple of thunderstorms, the pool would have gone over the banks! Really need to get some sort of generator for the future.

anyway, in the middle of no power, trying to work from home without internet (or, power!), and normal life, I got bombarded suddenly with interest in the Volvo. Not sure why, since I last renewed the ad last Friday. So, just my luck as to the timing.

one guy showed up today, and took it away. A large wad of cash combined with my being hungry, tired, and sweaty, and I caved and went a few hundred below my rock bottom line. But, it is gone.

Now, I get to find out if it was a good idea or not, because at some point in the next 4-6 weeks, I need a buying story. otherwise in Mid August, the wife and I become a 1 car family. And that ain't happening!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

one guy showed up today, and took it away. A large wad of cash combined with my being hungry, tired, and sweaty, and I caved and went a few hundred below my rock bottom line. But, it is gone.

So, what was that, $4500? I'll have to remember that the right time to buy is two days after the end of the world! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    oh heck no. if that was the best offer I got, he was getting back in his Jeep and driving back to Allentown with a disappointed daughter. And I would have held on to it.

but yes, if you want a bargain, the middle of Armageddon is a good time to do it!

stickguy said:

So, back from the Amish world. Power went out at 6:00 tuesday when the bad storm line (close to tornados in the area). Just came on about an hour ago. So just over 48 hours. Lucky, because as of today, the power company was estimating Noon Saturday. By then, with a couple of thunderstorms, the pool would have gone over the banks! Really need to get some sort of generator for the future.

anyway, in the middle of no power, trying to work from home without internet (or, power!), and normal life, I got bombarded suddenly with interest in the Volvo. Not sure why, since I last renewed the ad last Friday. So, just my luck as to the timing.

Now, I get to find out if it was a good idea or not, because at some point in the next 4-6 weeks, I need a buying story. otherwise in Mid August, the wife and I become a 1 car family. And that ain't happening!

Congrats on the sale, stick. The clock is now ticking.

July 4th weekend may be a good time to pick up a car. Remind us again what the short list consists of?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

depends which short list. since it has been a few weeks, I lost track.

pretty sure I swung back to just keeping the Sonata, and finding something not too expensive on a 3 year lease for the daughter. timing works out the best on that plan. Besides, i don't have the budget right now to get myself something fancier than the Hyundai!

Mazda 3i G and Sonata Sport are probably the top 2 options. I may try to sneak the Camry in again (hey, might get an XSE in under budget!). I can investigate the Legacy, but probably still out of price range.

I'll shoot out a few emails tomorrow, and maybe look a bit Saturday. But doing something over the 4th is a good bet. Would rather not wait until just before she is going back in mid-August.

or, I never get around to it, and she takes the Hyundai, "forcing" me to go and get something!

stickguy said:

depends which short list. since it has been a few weeks, I lost track.

pretty sure I swung back to just keeping the Sonata, and finding something not too expensive on a 3 year lease for the daughter. timing works out the best on that plan. Besides, i don't have the budget right now to get myself something fancier than the Hyundai!

Mazda 3i G and Sonata Sport are probably the top 2 options. I may try to sneak the Camry in again (hey, might get an XSE in under budget!). I can investigate the Legacy, but probably still out of price range.

I'll shoot out a few emails tomorrow, and maybe look a bit Saturday. But doing something over the 4th is a good bet. Would rather not wait until just before she is going back in mid-August.

or, I never get around to it, and she takes the Hyundai, "forcing" me to go and get something!

Lease number expirations:

Toyota - 7/6
    Hyundai - 7/6
    Mazda 7/6

So, the numbers you got from us a few weeks ago (June?) should still be valid next weekend.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

thanks. will be nice not to have to rush.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Weird... Still no payment book or welcome letter (via mail) on the Yukon. I already contacted the bank and made the first payment online (next payment not due until August), but I'd expect to receive something in the mail by now? Of course, changing addresses right after buying the car probably didn't help.

(Also kind of shocked any bank would finance a vehicle with 140,000 miles at a reasonable interest rate, but that's a story for another time...)
    Well, this is a bummer ....

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/subaru-eyesight-recall-72k/

Guess I'll be getting a letter from Subaru soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Michaell said:

My car is unaffected as I don't have EYESIGHT. Don't worry. It will get fixed.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Michaell said:

My car is unaffected as I don't have EYESIGHT. Don't worry. It will get fixed.
    Mentioned it to my wife, who was unconcerned, as she doesn't use the feature in her regular driving.

New technology always takes some time to sort out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    Looks like just a reprogram, not a parts change. Hopefully won't take too long after they get spooled up to get them all done.

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

nelsonf said:

Looks like just a reprogram, not a parts change. Hopefully won't take too long after they get spooled up to get them all done.

True enough; but, here in Colorado, every 3rd car is a Subaru, so I wonder how long the backlog will be.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Stick, don't forget shopping 4th July weekend: Free hot dogs and popcorn! And, balloons, lots of balloons...

Good luck, have fun with it.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I assume we will be looking next weekend. Depends largely on if the princess has to work both days.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    Annoying, but not the end of the world.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    stickguy said:

I assume we will be looking next weekend. Depends largely on if the princess has to work both days.

Though new to the market and I doubt you'd get much discount, but how about a Honda HRV-EX? Perfect size for college, nicely equipped including heated seats and sunroof, easy on gas and relatively fun to drive. Room to bring stuff back and forth.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:
    Though new to the market and I doubt you'd get much discount, but how about a Honda HRV-EX? Perfect size for college, nicely equipped including heated seats and sunroof, easy on gas and relatively fun to drive. Room to bring stuff back and forth.
     they don't lease very well, given that they are brand-new and hard to get 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited June 2015
    yeah, is the difference when you decide to lease. lower sticker price doesn't matter as much as lease support.

but I did like that one, and wouldn't mind taking a look.

Michaell said:

Mentioned it to my wife, who was unconcerned, as she doesn't use the feature in her regular driving. New technology always takes some time to sort out.

Yes, I doubt there is any reason for concern on a practical basis. From what I read about it, the issue is due to the circuitry coming down to a potential single point of failure. Those safety systems must have redundancies in them so as to prevent things like the now famous "unintended acceleration" hoopla.

Some reprogramming should do the trick.

xwesx said:
    Mentioned it to my wife, who was unconcerned, as she doesn't use the feature in her regular driving. New technology always takes some time to sort out.
    Yes, I doubt there is any reason for concern on a practical basis. From what I read about it, the issue is due to the circuitry coming down to a potential single point of failure. Those safety systems must have redundancies in them so as to prevent things like the now famous "unintended acceleration" hoopla. Some reprogramming should do the trick.
     it would be very cool if they could update the software remotely, preventing a trip to the dealer 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Michaell said:

xwesx said:

Michaell said:

Yes, I doubt there is any reason for concern on a practical basis. From what I read about it, the issue is due to the circuitry coming down to a potential single point of failure. Those safety systems must have redundancies in them so as to prevent things like the now famous "unintended acceleration" hoopla.

it would be very cool if they could update the software remotely, preventing a trip to the dealer 

Your expecting Subaru to become Tesla?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    fezo said:
    xwesx said:
    Yes, I doubt there is any reason for concern on a practical basis. From what I read about it, the issue is due to the circuitry coming down to a potential single point of failure. Those safety systems must have redundancies in them so as to prevent things like the now famous "unintended acceleration" hoopla. Some reprogramming should do the trick.
    No but given the nature of the problem and the fact that we got a new "app" for the infotainment system installed remotely, I don't see why not. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I have a feeling that allowing that sort of remote access would invite all sorts of unsavory side effects....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    xwesx said:

I have a feeling that allowing that sort of remote access would invite all sorts of unsavory side effects....

I had a software update done on my BMW in 2010. They actually had to remove the ECU and send it to New Jersey for re-programming.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, after all, that's where all the best chop shops are.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Congrats on the sale @stickguy! Adds validity to the old saying "it only takes one."

Good luck with the search - should be fun!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    For Subaru to become Tesla, it would have to start losing money.
    fezo said:

Michaell said:

xwesx said:

Michaell said:

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2015
    Isn't OnStar already updating stuff for GM? I expect them all to become Tesla (or Apple or Microsoft).

Seems like an easy step to plug your phone into the OBDII and do stuff. After typing in your VIN and a 16 digit security code, lol.

For Subaru to become Tesla, it would have to start losing money.

Good point. Tesla was profitable for a short time. I think it was a Thursday.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    so, did some more looking and driving today. No yelling, silent treatment, and no one died. so all in all, a good day!

drove a Jetta Sport (well, she drove, I rode). we both drove an ILX. really liked the Jetta. like a GLI with the 1.8l powertrain. A good compromise. Navi interface looked like a Garmin circa 2008, but at least it had nav. Hard to get a real strong price though (they are actually pretty thin supply, seem popular). Certainly a contender.

the ILX? Nice to sit in. quick. Did not really enthuse either one of us. Probably just used to the Sonata, so it seemed a bit small and rough? We did sit in a TLX> that was really nice.

scoped out a Sonata sport with tech & premium. Screaming deal on one of those. Just having trouble getting over the idea of 2 same year sonatas in the fleet. But bang for buck, it has it (even if not "exciting").

sat in the Mazdas again. decided the 3 is just a bit too small for this application. the 6 though, that was nice. plenty of room, nice interior. Huge trunk.

so, at the moment, seem to have a working list (to be discussed today, to try and come down to a winner) of:

-Jetta sport - smaller but big enough, a little pricey per month.
    -Mazda 6i touring - sporty, roomy, plenty of features (but have to add Navi), good value
    -Sonata sport premium/tech - loaded with features, roomy, good highway cruiser, great bang for buck.
    -Accord sport - pricey, low on feature content.
    -Legacy premium - most expensive. solid car, but seems to be falling out of favor.

TBC

Continued: So, lots of solid and interesting choices. In terms of features, back up cam is a must. Power seat is not required, as long as she can raise it high enough (kind of short). moonroof is not a concern. really wants built in Navi (can't blame her). I think BLIS is a must now (she is less concerned about it). Would prefer XM for the long drives through nowhere.

putting all this together, and factoring in the budget (shot to hell, but I am still trying for some sense of rationality with the revised one!), the choice is down to the Mazda 6, Jetta sport, and Sonata sport. That assumes she gets the new one. still may hand down my car. She really does like the Sonata, just has an aversion to having the same car! That does go against all my principles too of course.

an interesting set of options, all right about the same monthly lease cost of $250/mo. All should do great for 3 years of 8 hour commutes to school, and all the running around while there. Too bad she just hated the Camry, and I didn't want to force it on her, but the difference in price, in the big picture, is not all that much.

Most likely the Jetta will be first knocked off the list. Nice, but not quite as nice as the other 2 (which are both cheaper, roomier, and have more stuff on them)

This is intriguing: 2016 Focus RS

345 bhp, AWD, drift mode... A friend of mine is at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this weekend; Ken Block is there and will be wringing out the RS for the crowd.

Stick - does Kia have an equivalent to a Sonata Sport? That way at least they'd look different.

I loved the 6 when I was shopping. Still sometimes second guess myself about the need for the space I decided with but I love the 5.
    probably a Kia Optima similarly equipped. But I don't like dealing with the Kia dealers.

the 6 is a really nice car. If we end up with one on Tuesday, I doubt we will be unhappy with it. Though who knows which one of us ends up with it!

that is pretty much the final choice. The only decision left to make is whether I want to get it for her, or just let her take the Sonata and strike out on my own.

Bite the bullet. Get a 6 Grand Touring and let your daughter enjoy the Hyundai. You'll thank me later. Don't forget the stick...
    stickguy said:

probably a Kia Optima similarly equipped. But I don't like dealing with the Kia dealers.

the 6 is a really nice car. If we end up with one on Tuesday, I doubt we will be unhappy with it. Though who knows which one of us ends up with it!

that is pretty much the final choice. The only decision left to make is whether I want to get it for her, or just let her take the Sonata and strike out on my own.

Nothing wrong with the 6.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

welll, there is a term we have in project management, that also applies well to shopping for a leased car. It is "scope creep" Fits nicely to the "well, it is only another $10/mo for this, and $10/mo for that". Pretty soon, you spent a lot more!

The 6 we landed on is actually a touring, with the moonroof/XM package. That, plus adding on the XM functionality, pretty much maxes out the budget, and is more then well enough equipped.

I could get one and let her take the Sonata. I would not be giving up much. A few gadgets (heated/AC seats and heated steering wheel mostly), and some glass acreage on the roof. But a lot slicker to drive overall.

It will also be an automatic. will make it much easier to share among the family as needed. I can bit the bullet. Maybe the next one will be a stick?

still, once I know that Sonata is heading south in August, there is no rush to get another car, and I can greatly expand my horizons. Which is a nice way of saying my wife will be filing for divorce sometime in October.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You can't second guess yourself in life. Once you make your decision you just gotta roll with it and not get ulcers replaying it all. I think scope creep is pretty true in most facets of life really. I also don't think it's all bad in buying or leasing a car. When I was a young lieutenant just out of college I decided to save some bucks and buy a relatively stripped car. It was a decision I regretted and kind of spoiled my attitude toward the car until I traded it (for a much nicer equipped replacement).
    I usually enjoy whatever I finally get (and hard to say I rush into things!). But miss the fun of the looking after I buy.

as Wayne Carrini says, "it's all about the chase"