Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon ABS Fault Issues

1234568»

Comments

• mgilly1mgilly1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. unfortunately I have had the truck for 7 and a half years only 75,000 miles though. I will discuss this with the dealership. Thanks again - Gilly
  • rmountainrmountain Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the ABS sensors in front hubs of my 2004 colorado. Is there a right or left or doesn't it matter.
  • racing2008racing2008 Member Posts: 1
    I just changed front brakes on my 2006 Colorado 4WD. Now the ABS fault light flashes. I have checked the connection. Does the ABS sensor need to be reset?
  • jv4needsjv4needs Member Posts: 1
    I had several problems with my 06 Chevy Colorado. Recently, i am showing abs faults, communication problems, MAF sensor and a couple of others. I also have my heater blower only working on high. I changed the resistor twice and still the same. i learned to deal with it but enough is enough, i also had a sunroof install when i purchased my car and that is now recalled. I am looking for assistance. i would like help from Chevy with the lemon I was sold by one of their dealerships. I dont want to play an arm and a leg to repair items that both the dealership and GM corp. both know is faulty and refuse to recall so the consumer pay out of pocket for the repairs. Boycotts, protests and bad publicity is never good. Who wants to lose a paying customer, especially during this economy. Motor companies are already making cut backs. NO more Pontiac or Saturn, what brand is next!!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jv4needs,
    Have you already contacted Customer Assistance? If not and you would like for us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • n9cvn9cv Member Posts: 30
    The blower motor circuit is the most common posting on the Colorado forums. A new thread gets started there at least once a week on this problem. One of the threads was reported to be 60 pages long. Another was 38 pages the last time I looked at it a few years ago. We got so tired of typing the same responses to the problem over and over that I put together a summary response here:

http://coloradofans.com/forums/67-technical-questions-tips-how/146173-question-a- bout-blower-motor.html#post1876908

I see you replaced the resistor twice. Did you also replace the cable that includes the connector for the resistor? Was the pins on either the resistor or the connector burned brown? GM has had so many failures of this assembly that they also offer a repair cable with a new connector. These parts are also available in the after market on sites like on Rock Auto. The cable is a simple replacement.

If the connector and resistor pins are OK, and the resistor is not burned but is indeed open, then there is a little fuse like component as part of the resistor assembly. If that is what it blowing then you are drawing too much current through the resistor assembly. This draw is caused by a bad bearing in the fan motor or a restriction dragging down the fan. If replacing the resistor is all you need to get it going again with no burned pins, then I suggest in the future that you do not use position #3. That position draws the most current through the resistor assembly. Position #4 bypasses the resistor assembly completely so 1, 2, and 4 are safe to use. Also removing and lubing the fan motor bearings or replacing the fan motor might be in order.

Here is a link to the wiring diagram for the blower motor:

http://www.naskie18.com/colorado/schematics/05_Colorado_I5/AC%20Heater.pdf

Oh yes, we also have a GM customer service person monitoring over on the Colorado forum. He is as useless as the one here. It may be the same person using a different name. If not, it probably is the same department.

I can not help you on the MAF or Communications problems.

ABS / Traction Control problems are the second most common failure. This almost always is the front wheel sensor or sensors. You can usually fix those by simply tapping on the back of them with a plastic hammer to re-seat them. If that does not do it, then replacement is in order. Again after market parts are much cheaper and available for this high failure item. Check Rock Auto or your favorite auto parts store for the sensors without having to buy the whole hub like GM dealers usually sell.
  • bluetexbluetex Member Posts: 8
    Just be aware that "your GM rep" will ask for your info and then do nothing. This has been going on for years with this junk. No recalls just lip service. I recomend you try to sell it or scrap it and never by any gm, gmc, chevy what ever. There are way better vehicles out there and their reps listen to you and get things fixed but not gm. I'll never own another. Your'e wasting your time with these folks. Keep fixing it yourself and write it off. Oh how many times have you had to replace your'e tail lite module? Thats another thing. Brick Anti-GM from now on. Proud owner now of 2 toyotas no problems for years they run like a top.
  • n9cvn9cv Member Posts: 30
    Do you know how nice it would be to see a posting here from someone saying:
    "I contacted the GM rep on my blower motor resistor failure. They shipped a new resistor and cable assembly to my local dealer with instructions to install them for free. I was in and out in 30 minutes and my blower works fine now."
    The real value of the whole thing would be around $40.00 retail in parts and 15 minutes labor).

I'm just dreaming I know but this is all it would take to get some real good PR for them.

I would even happier to see them do something like this with the wheel sensors and the evap vent valve. The evap vent valve is available for $15 in the after market and takes about 1/2 hour to install.

I just woke up and realized it was all just a dream. Oh well, one can dream can't they.
  • kpokpo Member Posts: 24
    General Motors has pocketed $5 billion in net profit
    GM replace or fix an American Product Faulty Part?
    Not going to happen. GM is losing the American "loyalist" due to their poor quality products, poor quality PR and Customer follow up, and poor "Loyalty to the loyal customer". They build them and don't back them. They throw most of their profits to business growth opportunity gambles in Opel Europe and the Asian market; waste 39 million per year on a soccer promotion, but don't replace $15 faulty American GM auto parts and simply give Americans the lip service and European sports the GM profits, Now, GM, who bought the products that paid the profits in the past to make you so BIG?
    Americans!
  • buz5buz5 Member Posts: 5
    2006 colorado abs fault. Replaced hub and sensor. No more problems. Sensor came with hub. Tried to replace just the sensor would not work.buz5
  • yumabradyumabrad Member Posts: 1

did anything every get done about the abs fualt light issue, have a 06 i got new and this has been a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] for me,

• dieseltech21dieseltech21 Member Posts: 1

i have a 04 Colorado 2wd. I have recently gotten the abs issue that is on the drivers side. I have actually discovered the problem with mine. The abs tone ring is magnetically held to the rear of the bearing. The ring got loose and pushed itself off the center. Finding this after replacing bearing and sensor naturally. I am trying to resolve by super gluing ring into place. Will post again if problem resolve with instructions on repair.

• a_rod68a_rod68 Member Posts: 1
    There's two different problems. First one, the front hubs have sensors built into them and sensors go bad around 120k miles or so and need to be replaced. Witch is a.expensive part for some reason and a lil bit more work to fix then most vehicals. But alot of other vehicals need same fix. Secondly, my dash gave me a abs light and displayed abs fault. Did some research and troubleshooting. I already replaced both hubs cause I know better.if one.was.bad  just to.replace the other so I knew that wasnt the problem. Lite came off and.on at different times for no.reason. I fixed it by cleaning all my grounds. Headache/frustrating to figure out but all is good now! :-)Know what you don't know.  I got my colorado 5years ago from someone who hit head on with a tree. The front of engine was in the tree. Replaced front bumper, hood and fender and still running strong.good luck to every one. It's not that difficult as it seems.
    mittens1 said:

I have a 2004 colorado same problem. i have been dealing with it for about 2 yrs. had it checked out there is something wrong with the wheel speed sensor most likely in only 1 wheel. mine is the drivers front. something about the seal bad allowing dirt, water to set off this censor also could be a problem. hoping chevy will do a recall I have heard several complaints about this poblem. hope this helps u out

I have 2006 Colorado replaced front brakes had rotors turned. The abs light came on.Changed censor on left front did not work.Changed wheel bearing that came with censor. No more problems. Now if abs stops working stops working .I don't know about that. Ask autozone if they can check ABS codes.
    lvfrank said:

It seems that all you hear about is resetting the computer, but still the intermittant ABS fault will return with no ryme or reason, and then if you pull over, turn the vehicle off, and start it again, the error goes away. I am tired of this error. The mechanic tells me that it is not hurting the brakes or my safety, but I have had both hubs replaced at my cost, and have had the sensors replaced twice--again at my cost. Does anyone have a new Idea or is it just reset the computer. Tired of this--- It seems that this error effects more than me, maybe GM and Chevy should look at Customer Service and suggest a recall......

Might notneed to replace both. I think Autozone can check ABS code. I replaced left front on my 2006 Colorado censor would not work. Replace bearing that came with censor no more problems. Lot have trouble when replacing just censor.
  • eljameseljames Member Posts: 2
    Hello a_rod68 could you tell us where ABS grounds are located?, to clean them out because I did the same everyones have done and still light coming om and off...
  • eljameseljames Member Posts: 2
    a_rod68 said:

There's two different problems. First one, the front hubs have sensors built into them and sensors go bad around 120k miles or so and need to be replaced. Witch is a.expensive part for some reason and a lil bit more work to fix then most vehicals. But alot of other vehicals need same fix. Secondly, my dash gave me a abs light and displayed abs fault. Did some research and troubleshooting. I already replaced both hubs cause I know better.if one.was.bad  just to.replace the other so I knew that wasnt the problem. Lite came off and.on at different times for no.reason. I fixed it by cleaning all my grounds. Headache/frustrating to figure out but all is good now! :-)Know what you don't know.  I got my colorado 5years ago from someone who hit head on with a tree. The front of engine was in the tree. Replaced front bumper, hood and fender and still running strong.good luck to every one. It's not that difficult as it seems.

Hello a_rod68 could you tell us where ABS grounds are located?, to clean them out because I did the same everyones have done and still light coming om and off...
  • john10567john10567 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2015
    I have a 2005 Z71 Colorado with the same problem. My light has been on and off for a few years. I changed sensors and a front hub. The light stays off for a week or two then intermittent until it stays on steady. It's been to a dealor and a private garage and no one can figure it out. I know my
    mileage is high but i intend on keeping it. It's a good truck but GM should stand by their product and make the truck safe.
  • fabisx123fabisx123 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    My 2004 Z71 4x4 just out of the blue has a ABS Fault warning on the instrument panel. I was driving and lost all power...no radio, headlights, wipers. When I got it to a safe place to pull over. I turned the vehicle off, waited a minute and restarted. The error was gone. I haven't driven the truck in days...so today I went to start it and the error code happened again and headlights, radio EVeryThing Lost power again! Chevrolet should have a Recall on this issue....I googled it and found Tens of Thousands of other people who are reporting the same issue. This is definitely a Safety ISSUE and should be repaired by Chevrolet. From reading this post they have been aware of this issue for YEARS. I reply from Chevrolet is Appreciated
  • pickwick00pickwick00 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2004 GMC Canyon Z 85 with same abs issue. Have also had the brake warning light come on sometimes also. Now a new problem. Twice I have went to apply the brake and the pedal went right yo the floor with no resistance. After several pumps would suddenly firm up. Worked for a dealership and never had this happen before.If it was a master cyl. failure should not firm back up and act normal. No one seems to know what this might be. I feel it may all be related. Have not replaced the hubs, sensors and bearings yet because it does not appear to fix the problem.
  • rainbowchevyrainbowchevy Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab  (80k miles) almost two months ago. The stock radio had eaten someone's CD so i got a Pioneer installed at Best Buy. The day it was installed, i turned on the truck and my ABS fault came one. Not only that but the blinkers on the dash turned on (solid) and my windshield wipers started on their own. That issue hadn't happened again but my radio started cutting out so Best Buy had me bring it back yesterday. They took the radio out, said it needed an update and shouldn't happen again or they'd replace it. The radio started cutting out on the way home. That night while i was driving, all of my dash lights came on (check engine, seatbelt, battery, ABS, blinkers, etc)so i started to pull over. The brakes locked up and it was very difficult to slow down and steer. Since then my lights have been wonky and the ABS fault comes on off. I've unplugged the battery, pumped the breaks in park, and unplugged and replugged all the fuses under the hood. My question is, does anyone else have this issue or did Best Buy potentially mess something up? 
  • parachautopartparachautopart Member Posts: 16
    I also have the same problem :(
  • markseemarksee Member Posts: 29
    So I bought a scan tool from Harbor Freight with ABS and it's telling me the right rear wheel speed sensor is bad. Search as I may I don't find a listing for wheel speed sensors in the rear. Does the rear ABS use the speed sensor on the transfer case?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Was the code C0055? BTW Codes don 't tell you what part is bad, they tell you what test failed. Plus you cannot rely on the code description in aftermarket scan tools, always look up the code description in service information.
    The codes are C0035, Rt. rear wheel speed sensor open or shorted. And U1064, Lost communications with body control module. Keep in mind I have the ABS2 relay unplugged so the ABS pump won't run.
  • benebyautobenebyauto Member Posts: 8

My 2004 Colorado has been displaying ABS FAULT intermittently for over a year now. When it first happened I brought to the dealer and the LF Sensor was replaced. The FAULT was back in immediately. Returning it to the dealer, I was told that there was no memory of any faults, and the pulsing I was experiencing was due to warped rotors. They could not duplicate the ABS FAULT. Leaving frustrated, my goal was to drive it until the fault came in hard. A year later it is still intermittent. I recently had the rotors and pads replaced. I took it back to the dealer last week and talked to the general manager. He said he would arrange for a GM engineer to take a look at it and call me back by noon. I never got the call. On my Colorado, the ABS activates without applying brakes and then a few seconds later it chimes and the ABS light comes on and I read the ABS FAULT as it repeatedly scrolls. It usually happens after I have driven for about 5 miles, shut it down for 15 minutes and then re start it. ABS usually activates when pulling out of parking lot going at a speed of 5 to 10 MPH. I have had the ABS activate at 30 MPH once. I'm afraid that it will activate when I need an emergency stop and will result in going through the trunk of the vehicle in front of me. I have sent an email to GM customer service and have not received a response.

The abs module is faulty and needs to be replaced.
    I pulled the ABS2 relay on mine until I get it fixed. That keeps the ABS pump from running and causing an unexpected loss of braking. Just be aware if you get in a skid you will have to pump the brakes yourself like the good 'ol days.
  • mainexilemainexile Member Posts: 1
    2006 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4WD. Replaced right front rotor, caliper and pads due to spongy pedal with caliper piston and pin sticking causing premature pad and rotor wear. Now ABS Fault illuminating with intermittent ABS pump activation. Planning to replace both hub/wheel bearing/ABS sensor assemblies as well as left front caliper, rotor and pads this week. Anxious to see if this resolves ABS Fault warning. Tending to agree that this should be a GM recall after reading 13 pages of similar complaints...but not holding my breath that GM will do ANYTHING about it. Probably time to start looking at a Toyota.
  • disaster2004disaster2004 Member Posts: 1
    gmcustsvc said:

Hello Tomtom231,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me so I can look into your situation further? You can find my email address if you click on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service

I'm having the same problem with the ABS fault. How many problems is it going to take for GM to recall or fix this common problem. Are you going to wait till some one gets killed.
  • ponderguy1ponderguy1 Member Posts: 1
    another 2004 colorado with intermittent abs fault. I don't have thousands to throw at the problem. Will GM take care of this at last?
  • JoeK89JoeK89 Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list. I have a 2005 Colorado and have had this issue for about 4-5 months now. I have newer brakes and had my brakes inspected twice during this period with no issues with them. You can hear the ABS pulse/pump intermittently while driving (not applying brakes), sometimes it will resist and pulse/shudder while applying the brakes and less frequently (though increasingly) the ABS Fault message will come on. The issues appear to be increasing in frequency and severity. Suggestions ??
  • Walker_1919Walker_1919 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Canyon has the same problems, window quits when it wants to, A/C stopped working, radio also works at its convenience, ABS fault, right front brake sticks. Years ago the very first problem was misfire. We have changed everything several times but all the problems continue. We are retired and really don't want a vehicle payment. If anyone can figure these ghosts out please help !!!
  • liveatvictorialiveatvictoria Member Posts: 1
    So looks like I am not alone, been driving with the ABS warning light activated for a couple few months, the brakes did nothing bad AT FIRST!!! then they started pulsing on and off. I replaced the Fuses that had anything to do with Brakes and though the warning has not turned off the pulsing has stopped for now, Want the warning lights OFF and by the way I had the brakes done and roters replaced with best ones available of three different ones, that did NOT cause the warning lights as it was about a year later when the lights began. Chevrolet KNOWS NOTHING and just cost money with ZERO RESULTS, trying to get me to buy another Chevrolet product---NOT BLOODY LIKELY!!!!
  • LindaSalazarLindaSalazar Member Posts: 1
    My ABS light has been coming on too!!! It scared the crap outta me yesterday day when for no apparent reason, no rain, no ice, not speeding or anything, my brakes completely locked up and I skid mid turn. Thank goodness there was nothing in front or to the side of me. It happened again as I rolled up to a stop sign.
    -2006 Chevy Colorado
  • Drewmcleod999Drewmcleod999 Member Posts: 1

Add me to the list. 2006 gmc canyon. New problem for me, I’ve always noticed the abs kinda makes a weird sound and sometimes comes on unnecessarily when braking.
    But in the last week or so it’s gotten so bad that I think the abs system has stopped working entirely. I can hear it making noise like it’s trying to activate when I hit bumps on a rough rough going like 30-40km/h

It doesn’t seem to do anything when just driving straight on a flat road. brakes still work etc.
    but it’s definitely kinda freaky because the severity of it seems to have really amped up.
    Just generally makes a lot of little noises now like it trying to activate all the time, also the abs light has started coming on for the first time ever.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    When the light comes on the system has detected a problem and shut itself down, so the symptoms go away. The description you have here suggests one or more of the wheel speed sensor signals is dropping to the controller. Has anyone tested for codes? If so what was retrieved?