Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I can't figure out which fuses to check!

mcowsermcowser Member Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Buick
The display for the dual ac and heat stopped working on my 2001 Buick Regal. Of course, I would first like to check the fuses but I can't figure out which ones to check. Can you tell me what they would be called?

Also, the air works, but it has never blown as hard and cold as it should and it's works better on the passenger side than the driver side. I changed the cabin filter, which was filthy. Doing that helped a lot. It now blows stronger, but still not like it should and still better on the passenger side. I'm sure it needs a freon charge. It probably hasn't had one in the lifetime of the car. But again, I would like to check all the fuses that could possibly affect this problem first. I have the diagram, but I don't know what the fuses would be called. Yes, I'm a girl, but how many girls would even attempt to change the filter.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    buicknicksi78buicknicksi78 Member Posts: 18
    If you haven't received the answer you inquired, it's my belief the unit has gone bad, prior employment with Chevrolet, till breaking of my back, leaving the field, this was a common issue with buick, olds, Chevy, Pontic, etc., etc., especially in the early 2000's,
  • Options
    Thank you. I would still like to check the fuses. I just don't know which fuses are the right ones. I have a diagram, but I don't know what they would be called on there. I didn't want to start pulling fuses until I at least have a good i
  • Options
    It wasn't confusing at all. Thank you very much for your help.
  • Options
    nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    Glad you figured it out. Any luck finding a bad fuse?

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    The digital readout goes bright and dim with the dimming feature for the rest of the dash lights.
    If the dimming works for the rest of the dash, then the problem is isolated to the control unit
    for the HVAC. It might, rarely be the connector not working right. But the control heads for quite
    a few Grand Prix's, Regals, leSabres, Bonnevilles, had trouble in year before that with certain
    resistors losing contact with the circuit board inside the control unit. There were instructions
    with pictures on the net showing how to take apart the HVAC box and get to the layer of circuit
    board that was the part providing voltage for the display. Resolder all the connections to be sure
    you got the ones that were defective and the brightness on the readout was back.

The symptoms for those were that the brightness would come and go as the contact between
    the resistor lead and the circuit foil burned and corroded. I would suggest getting a replacment
    from a junkyard. Unless you are good at dis-assembly and re soldering.

http://www.gmforum.com/electrical-133/fixing-dim-hvac-97-5-04-regal-296707/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,