Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser overheating

rhecklerrheckler Member Posts: 1
edited June 2015 in Chrysler
my pt cruiser has 114,000 miles on it just got it back from mechanic had broken timing belt replaced and I had him replace water pump when driving and stopped without a/c on fan comes on fine however the other day I turned on a/c and car started to overheat any thoughts what should be looking at

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2015
    I have one guess. Your fan is a two-speed, low and high. With the AC on, it should operate on High Speed all the time. It should also operate on high speed when the car's coolant reaches 210 degrees with your fan off and no AC, or 219 degrees with your fan on and no AC.

So you might have lost the high speed function, which could be a matter of a bad high speed relay (located in the Power Distribution Center).

Other causes might include air in the cooling system (improper bleeding of the system when new coolant was installed), or a defective temperature sensor for the fan operation.