Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tire & Wheel Protection Platinum

nowtomnowtom Member Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in Toyota
Today I signed a PS agreement for 2015 Highlander Limited Platinum. The Finance person explained about two warranty programs
1. platinum extended warranty for 8 Years/ 75K miles - for $ 1999.00 - he claims it is same as factory coverage (bumper-to-bumper)
2. tire and wheel protection (platinum) for 5 years; - for $690
-> he also explained that I can get them anytime before the 3 year factory warranty/coverage runs out.

I am wondering if
1. these are worth it?
2. particularly the Tire warranty. I did not find any discussions on the toyota forums/ or even on Edmunds. I am worried about having to replace 4 tires (because of AWD) when one of them goes kaput due to road hazard.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Absolutely not worth it, either one. That's where dealers make their profit. Buy NOTHING in the finance office. You can buy it later if you want, but why?
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited June 2015
    I walk away from what IMO are stealership deals
  • nowtomnowtom Member Posts: 4
    thanks @texases and @cmhj2000 ; I don't intend to buy in the finance office; just want to know if the tire protection is worth it and if yes, what is the fair price. do any third-party /online companies offer tire protection?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    The tire and wheel warranty isn't going to pay for tires that you wear out, I don't think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I would avoid all 3rd party warranties. Some may be OK, but many are worse than worthless. It is a scam-ridden industry.
  • nowtomnowtom Member Posts: 4
    As I see it, third party warranties are not good/ or reliable.

While I understand that it will not cover regular wear and tear, I am only considering it to cover for damages due to road hazard (s) to Tire/ and Wheel RIMs during the 5 year period.

Is Toyota warranty reliable? If yes what would be the fair price for the Toyota's tire hazard warranty, if I approach other dealers, within say first few months, after purchasing the vehicle. ?

I have had to replace my two OEM tires, on Honda Accord in the past (just within first 3 years). During that episode, I realized that while a brand new tire purchased from aftermarket like Tirerack/ TownFair/ Costco et al carries a road-hazard warranty, the OEM tires had none, even though I paid for the brand new set of 4 when I purchased the vehicle.