Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

No Parking - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Dodge
imageNo Parking - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Repairs needed in the Edmunds long-term 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2015
    have fun with the repair (is it a drum in the rotor type setup?) gotta love fiddling with the adjustment on those drums haha

the e-brake on my bimmer I could never manage to set up right, even going exactly by the shop manual plus using all new parts (the old one disintegrated completely after those little pins that hold it together rusted through the thin splash shield behind the rotor and it all got blended by the lug bolts lol). It kinda works but you have to pull it up almost 90 degrees and then an additional click..

Good thing I rarely ever park on an incline :)
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Edmunds didn't check basic stuff like the parking brake when they bought it?

Don't you have a section for used car buying tips?
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

I think writing about cars is not the same as working with cars.

• Options
    kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    These are discs in the back, right? I'd hope a high performance car like this still wouldn't have drum brakes in the back. I couldn't imagine that its just the pads - certainly you would've heard them while driving if they were that completely shot. My bet is rear calipers are shot. Since front brakes do most of the work, it's not uncommon to not notice when the rear brakes fail.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    fordson1 said:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/10-steps-to-buying-a-used-car.html

"Step 8: Have the Car Inspected
    If you like the way the car drives, you should have it inspected before you negotiate to buy it. A pre-purchase inspection can save you thousands of dollars. You can take the car to a trusted mechanic for a thorough inspection or request a mobile inspection. A private party will probably allow you to do this without much resistance. But at a dealership, it might be more difficult. If it is a CPO car, there is no reason to take it to a mechanic."
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited June 2015

Step 8: Have the Car Inspected*

* unless it isn't your money you are spending then just have fun and go crazy.

• Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145

These are discs in the back, right? I'd hope a high performance car like this still wouldn't have drum brakes in the back. I couldn't imagine that its just the pads - certainly you would've heard them while driving if they were that completely shot.

On a car with rear disc brakes, there are generally 2 ways of implementing a parking brake. The first is to activate the pads against the rear disc. You end up with a rather finicky system with this since you can't let the pads float too much. The second is to use the disc hat as a drum brake. Although not foolproof, this is less finicky than the alternative.

So yes, a high performance car can have both rear disc brakes and rear drum brakes at the same time.

• Options

fordson1 said:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/10-steps-to-buying-a-used-car.html

"Step 8: Have the Car Inspected
    If you like the way the car drives, you should have it inspected before you negotiate to buy it. A pre-purchase inspection can save you thousands of dollars. You can take the car to a trusted mechanic for a thorough inspection or request a mobile inspection. A private party will probably allow you to do this without much resistance. But at a dealership, it might be more difficult. If it is a CPO car, there is no reason to take it to a mechanic."
    Well, yeah I agree with you they should practice what they preach...I just see less and less evidence they really will do that.
  • Options
    7driver said:

These are discs in the back, right? I'd hope a high performance car like this still wouldn't have drum brakes in the back. I couldn't imagine that its just the pads - certainly you would've heard them while driving if they were that completely shot.

On a car with rear disc brakes, there are generally 2 ways of implementing a parking brake. The first is to activate the pads against the rear disc. You end up with a rather finicky system with this since you can't let the pads float too much. The second is to use the disc hat as a drum brake. Although not foolproof, this is less finicky than the alternative.

So yes, a high performance car can have both rear disc brakes and rear drum brakes at the same time.

These have the hat with shoes inside...more time-consuming because you are removing the caliper to get the rotor off, then fiddling with the parking brake adjuster to get the rotor off, then and only then do you find out what shape the internal shoes are in...best to just have them when you go in...if it turns out they are fine and it's the adjustment that's bad, or the cable, then you can just return the shoes.