Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Viper, No Viping - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Dodge

imageViper, No Viping - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Dodge Viper GT is brand new, which means we must follow a fairly specific break-in procedure before we unleash its true potential.

Read the full story here

Comments

• banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    What's up with the "observe local speed limits" This is the car's break-in procedure not your mom's advice boooklet. They should have stopped with the max speed limit allowed to break-in the engine (55mph). The engine is not going to be affected if you do 35 in a 30mph road!!!
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Hopefully the first 1,500 miles will go very quickly. I am looking forward to reading periodic observations about this incredible car. Video posts would be great also. I hope the Viper proves to be as reliable as it is fast.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I'd understand "no really hard acceleration" and "don't take it to the track" for the first 1k or so, but this seems pretty unreasonable. No excessive idling? No exceeding 3,500 RPM? 55 mph or less? Come on. What percentage of people will follow that? Given the fact that this seems important and the fact that engines last beyond 200k, how about just having the break-in happen at the factory? Get it "worn in" and eliminate the possibility of longer term wear.
  • dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    banhugh said:

What's up with the "observe local speed limits" This is the car's break-in procedure not your mom's advice boooklet. They should have stopped with the max speed limit allowed to break-in the engine (55mph). The engine is not going to be affected if you do 35 in a 30mph road!!!

C'mon bro you know the lawyers made them add that disclaimer.
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189

Given the fact that this seems important and the fact that engines last beyond 200k, how about just having the break-in happen at the factory?

The engine likely isn't the primary concern although it depends on design, parts, and machining procedures. Many engines are in fact test run and 90% broken in at the factory they're assembled.

The bigger concern requiring a break-in process for most manufacturers is the driveline components such as transmission/transaxle, clutch, differential, axles and brake components. I want to say that the Viper is using a twin-disc clutch in its six-speed manual, which if I had to wager a guess probably requires the most consideration for break-in if they're using a partially organic-based friction material to give it reasonable streetability.

Combined with not trying to require an owner to properly bed-in brake pads, engine components that might benefit extended running that the factory can't perform (e.g. possibly the cam-in-cam phaser components in this engine, rings depending on tolerances, multiple-displacement lifters for cylinder deactivation, etc.) and it may be safer to give the car a little time.

Sure, it will probably still last and provide a longer service life if you jumped in and started hammering it but maybe some components would get a little longer life in the long run if care is taken when new.

• actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2015
    The 55 mph and 3,500 rpm piece only lasts to 100 miles. Not a huge drag on the party. And the excessive idling clause is aimed at someone who would sit parked talking on the phone for 10 or 20 minutes with the engine running so the AC will blow cold. Or, if this was a Suburban, a parent idling the car in the elementary school pick-up line for 15 minutes so little brother who isn't old enough to go to school yet can watch Dora the Explorer during the wait -- this I have seen. Idling at long signals isn't what they're talking about.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• gifters1gifters1 Member Posts: 5
    I'd like to see a Viper with a 1500 hp aluminum block cummins BT6, that wood be a sports car worth 90K.
  • bucho65bucho65 Member Posts: 11
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I've done the motoman break on my Kawasaki Versys and a friend of mine did it on his 06 corvette. I have gone up to 6000 miles between oil changes and it has never used a drop of oil. Have 50k miles on it now and runs great. My friends vette was the same way. He tracked it and it did dyno on the high side for LS2s. I think he got into the 12s with it at Rock Mountain Raceway that is at 4000ft elevation.

I think the key is to take it easy until the engine is warmed up then get on it. I could see how people would be leery to do this on a $100k+ car but given the amount of variables of how people are going to drive within the first 1500 miles I don't think it is that critical for a good running engine.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    It's also good for a few reasons- It hopefully discourages dealer staff to abuse the vehicles (but probably doesn't) and it just might save lives of potential victims of "I just bought a stoopid-fast car".

We've all seen videos of people who just took delivery of a Hellcat, Corvette Z06, Nissan GTR, Shelby GT500, et al and immediately wrapped it around a tree/pole/stationary object or just plain wrecked it. Happens all the time. One hopes these drivers would respect their new vehicle and not let the adrenaline of owning a brand-new example go to their heads.