Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road noise - has anyone noticed this? (2016 RDX)

mikesomikeso Member Posts: 2
edited June 2015 in Acura
I recently took the 2016 RDX (tech model) for a test drive and I'm looking for a sanity check from anyone else out there who has taken one of these for a spin. After arriving in a 2015 Sante Fe and also testing an Audi Q5 on the same day (all in close proximity) the road noise on my RDX test drive seemed apparent. Either the RDX is sub par for road noise compared to these two, there was a dramatic wind change, or the Q5 is -dead- silent.

Did anyone else have the same road noise experience in the 2016 RDX cabin?

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2015
    Be worth it to test another one and see if the tire pressures are up to spec. Sometimes they forget to air the tires down after shipping.
  • Options
    wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    Road noise? IDK. Wind noise? Absolutely. I think just about all Honda products suffer from a lot of wind noise around the a pillar or the mirrors. I've driven quite a few of them (Hondas and acuras) and that's the first thing I always notice. If you do a google for RDX wind noise complaints (I haven't) you'll probably see that lots of folks complain about it. However, some people don't notice it - or they ignore/don't admit that they hear a noise.
  • Options
    mikesomikeso Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2015
    Fair enough, thanks for both comments gents!
    I did take a second test on the RDX (with request to double check tires specs). Noise seemed about the same to me, but the wife felt there was an improvement. Honestly, I think part of it is just the pitch of the noise that comes in that I dislike. I took a 2015 Q5 for a second spin (moving from the 2.0T to the 3.0SC) and then did the MDX. The 2016 MDX was by far the most quiet of all the cabins, RDX still trailing in my opinion.

Side note: The 2016 MDX (not sure on prev models) does have a bit more insulation catering to blocking noise, including fancy glass... it delivered.

Next step will be to check out the HiHy & RX 450h - yep, I'm all over the place :worried:
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, you'd be surprised (well, maybe not) at the variety of car models people compare.

Some noises (or pitches in your case?) bother some people more than others. Looks like it's time to rule the RDX out unless this is going to be your wife's car.
  • Options
    We bought a 2016 RDX on July 30th (wife chose this for her 60th birthday present). Absolutely love the car with one exception - wind noise. Wind noise at any speed. We did not shop/compare the RDX with a mazda CX-5, but I went to breakfast yesterday with a friend who has a CX-5. The mazda 4 cyl engine is noisy at low rpm, but there was absolutely no wind noise in his car at any speed.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153
    wayne21 said:

We bought a 2016 RDX on July 30th (wife chose this for her 60th birthday present). Absolutely love the car with one exception - wind noise. Wind noise at any speed. We did not shop/compare the RDX with a mazda CX-5, but I went to breakfast yesterday with a friend who has a CX-5. The mazda 4 cyl engine is noisy at low rpm, but there was absolutely no wind noise in his car at any speed.

Wind noise at any speed? Are you sure the tires aren't contributing to the noise?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited September 2015
    It's not road (tire) noise. I have noticed the tire noise, but I've pretty much tuned it out. It's almost not noticeable unless the radio is off. The wind noise is almost like the windows are cracked open just a bit. It's the same noise my neighbor's TL has. The wind noise is rather annoying.

As a comparison - we had a 2010 Toyota venza - DEAD QUIET. We sold it and bought a 2015 Nissan Altima - DEAD QUIET (other issues, but no wind or tire noise.) The RDX is a lot like the 2000 accord we had when it comes to wind noise. In 2010, we wanted another accord, but were wise to the accord's wind noise (having experienced it for 10 years). We passed on the accord because we drove several of them and heard plenty of wind noise. We knew for the 2000 accord that the wind noise just got worse as the car aged. We're just hoping that isn't the case with the RDX.