Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Windshield Squiggles - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Volvo
imageThe Windshield Squiggles - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

We got the Climate package on our long-term 2015 Volvo S60, and it includes a heated windshield with heating elements that appear as long squiggles in the driver's line of vision.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, I would LOVE to know how much it's going to cost to replace that windshield should something happens. I'm sure probably $1,000+ quote from the dealer. Windshields need to be kept simple - it's not reasonable to have a stray rock turn into a 4 digit repair cost.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    It seems the tried and true method of blowing air from the front defroster works well enough. But yeah, I'd be concerned with the replacement cost. Since I keep cars for 15-20 years, I'm sure I'd have to replace a windshield at least 2-3 times.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    I like the heated windshields that only heat the bottom, near the wipers. The elements are lines like on rear glass. That's easy enough and does not introduce weird distortions.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, no. I'm distracted by the squiggly little lines every time I drive a car with one of these, and there are many, especially among European imports. Fortunately this is usually part of some Cold Weather package I don't need and would never buy in California. I can steer clear and save money. I suppose those who prowl the northern states and Canada appreciate the benefit to the point where they can make peace with this trade-off other times of the year. What say you, northerners?

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    A lot of companies are bundling these in with driving assistance systems so that windshield mounted cameras always have a clear view ahead, since the top of the windscreen is the last place the regular defroster gets to. Do you think Volvo may have been thinking along those lines? Does the "advanced-whatever driving assistance package" require this weather package be ordered also?
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    @mieden, funny how they may be compromising the view of the driver to enhance the review of cameras.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Yeah, no. I'm distracted by the squiggly little lines every time I drive a car with one of these, and there are many, especially among European imports. Fortunately this is usually part of some Cold Weather package I don't need and would never buy in California. I can steer clear and save money. I suppose those who prowl the northern states and Canada appreciate the benefit to the point where they can make peace with this trade-off other times of the year. What say you, northerners?

As a northerner, I would be OK with this, in theory...but if it interferes with the function of a radar detector, then I would not want it, and also I don't drive new cars in the winter up here...so the chances of my actually using this feature during actual snow and ice is practically nil.
  • miedenmieden Member Posts: 75
    legacygt said:

@mieden, funny how they may be compromising the view of the driver to enhance the review of cameras.

My ex and I shared a RR Sport for two years. It had a heated front windscreen with this style embedded heating grid, also. I certainly noticed it every time I drove, but it was never distracting or "compromising".
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    mieden said:

legacygt said:

My ex and I shared a RR Sport for two years. It had a heated front windscreen with this style embedded heating grid, also. I certainly noticed it every time I drove, but it was never distracting or "compromising".
    Agreed, I have it on my 2015.5 S60. I notice it now and then at night but overall it doesn't bother me. Granted I don't need it in this climate and could live without it...but it doesn't bother me.
  • ScoVigScoVig Member Posts: 1
    I bought my wife an XC60 2015.5 model with the heated windshield. Is it distracting? No. Does it compromise visibility? Only if you let it. The picture does it great justice...on cloudy days, looking at the clouds, the near-solid gray background brings the squiggles out. Stop staring at the clouds and watch the road! We live in Western PA, and the feature is fabulous.