Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Four-Door Is the Obvious Choice. Or Is It? - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Volkswagen
imageFour-Door Is the Obvious Choice. Or Is It? - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Getting the four-door version of the 2015 VW Golf GTI seems like the obvious choice. But maybe there is a reason to get the two-door.

Read the full story here

Comments

• subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    I am more of a Scirocco fan than a GTI fan. Perhaps the 2-door GTI could be cancelled and replaced with the Scirocco in the VW line-up, especially since the differences between the 2-door and 4-door GTI seem minor.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Oh, of course get the two-door...because instead of it being a boring old hatchback, now it's a cool two-door coupe!

Yeah, sure...just get the four-door.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Well, my question is that if you're going to have the kids squeezed in there on a frequent basis, maybe the GTI isn't the ideal car for you. If its just an occasional thing, then it probably doesn't matter whether you get 2 doors or 4 doors. If it IS a regular thing, maybe a larger sedan should be in order instead, especially given the $31k MSRP price tag. That's mid-sized SUV territory.
  • mecksermeckser Member Posts: 18
    2-door ftw. For me I have the seat all the way back and then on the 4-door the B-pillar is right in front of my face when I turn my head. The longer door of the 2-door moves the B-pillar back and out of the way. As for the kids part, its just as easy with the 2-door, instead of opening the back door you just flip the seat forward, easy.
  • farvyfarvy Member Posts: 34
    It's not easy with a two-door if the kids are young. You will have to help them get past the belts (if not seat mounted), or if they are babies, lift them yourself & put them in the car seat. You then get to finagle the seat belts onto them. Look at the boy in the closest car seat. You think he got into that thing & buckled up all by himself? Nope. Maybe the girl can in the other seat since she's older. I loved my three Honda Preludes (86 Si, 91 Si, 97) when I was young & single. But married with kids? No way would I want to battle getting them into modern car seats with a two-door car. If you can handle a two-door with kids, more power to you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    farvy said:

It's not easy with a two-door if the kids are young. You will have to help them get past the belts (if not seat mounted), or if they are babies, lift them yourself & put them in the car seat. You then get to finagle the seat belts onto them. Look at the boy in the closest car seat. You think he got into that thing & buckled up all by himself? Nope. Maybe the girl can in the other seat since she's older. I loved my three Honda Preludes (86 Si, 91 Si, 97) when I was young & single. But married with kids? No way would I want to battle getting them into modern car seats with a two-door car. If you can handle a two-door with kids, more power to you.

I actually think the 4-door looks better..

I usually pick a 4-door, but I've noticed that coupes are easier for the front seat residents to enter and exit, unless you are jammed close in a parking lot.. (you'll find out when you get older... lol)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63
    Four door, hands down. While my kids are older and can get into their seats and buckled on their own, I don't want to have to fold the seat forward every time we get in and out of the car. The bigger problem with the GTI for me is a complete lack of legroom in back when I have the seat back where I need it, and that problem exists for both versions. The comment above about substituting the Scirocco for the 2 door makes sense, at least it's a bit more stylish.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I would definitely get the four door. I've had to deal with car seats and a two door would have definitely made the job even more painful.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2015
    For me, The GTI is a 'safe choice' performance car, a bit of a decathlete. Not an all out riot like the Fiesta ST. Its strength is it does a lot of things well, and along those lines, the 4 door is a very practical choice and is what I would get.

The two door is like buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee and lowering it....IMHO :-) If you're going to go with two doors, there are more sexy and better performance options out there. The two door also doesnt really improve the GTI's looks materially.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    A 2-door would be the only choice for me, but I'm older and single. I hate having a big pillar blocking my view directly to the right, even though I've learned to cope. I understand why many people want 4, but it isn't what the GTI is about. And I do think it is much better looking as well as more practical for me.
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Four adult sized seats = four doors
    Period. End-of-story.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    Rear seats never used in decades = 2 doors. P. EOS.
  • millemanmilleman Member Posts: 19
    I don't have small children now, so much of the author's concerns don't apply to my choice. If I was carpooling regularly with people getting in and out often, 4 doors is the obvious choice. But more often than not my back seat is empty. I've had 5 adults in the car a few times, 3-4 more often, there's adequate room, but we were all getting in and out at the same time so with the effectiveness of the sliding front seats and out-of-the-way seat belts, not a big deal.

Beyond the $500 premium, it's another 75lbs, some loss of structural rigidity, lots more potential for rattles and creaks, as well as the previously mentioned forward B-pillar and short doors. And personally I think the 2-door looks better. If only subatomic and I could convince VWoA to import the current Scirocco, I wouldn't miss the 2-door (or any) GTI for a second cos I'd own the Scirocco...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    milleman said:

I don't have small children now, so much of the author's concerns don't apply to my choice. If I was carpooling regularly with people getting in and out often, 4 doors is the obvious choice. But more often than not my back seat is empty. I've had 5 adults in the car a few times, 3-4 more often, there's adequate room, but we were all getting in and out at the same time so with the effectiveness of the sliding front seats and out-of-the-way seat belts, not a big deal.

Beyond the $500 premium, it's another 75lbs, some loss of structural rigidity, lots more potential for rattles and creaks, as well as the previously mentioned forward B-pillar and short doors. And personally I think the 2-door looks better. If only subatomic and I could convince VWoA to import the current Scirocco, I wouldn't miss the 2-door (or any) GTI for a second cos I'd own the Scirocco...

There is more structural rigidity in a 4-door than a 2-door. Thanks to the B-pillar.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    I'd be surprised if the 4 door was stiffer. The two door has a B pillar and no big holes for the rear doors. They'd have to stiffen the 4 door a lot, and that adds weight. 
  • jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    I've had A 2 Door and loved it. Loved the doors being longer to see out of better. That being said I'd not buy another one. Mostly because, and it's not been mentioned yet, the resale is quite a bit higher. More people want 4-doors and the market speaks to that.
  • ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    I have young kids and bought the 2-door. They aren't in it often...it's no big deal to get them out...and it's actually way more convenient to just flip the seat to stow my briefcase than to have to open and close a door to do so. Plus I do agree the visibility is actually a lot better if you sit further back. I have long legs and do sit most of the way back.