Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine light on

lanie1944lanie1944 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in Pontiac
The engine light is on and auto zone says it is a evaporative emission system problem. Purge/ vent. What is this and is it an expensive fix?

Best Answer

Answers

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Depending on what the code is it may be as simple as making sure the gas cap is on straight and is tight and driving it a few days until the test that runs at startup is satisfied trouble is gone and shuts the light off
  • lanie1944lanie1944 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the answer. I did go to a garage and they say it is a sensor above the gas tank. Total cost is almost $200.00
    I have a 2008 Torrent.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    lanie1944 said:

Thanks for the answer. I did go to a garage and they say it is a sensor above the gas tank. Total cost is almost $200.00
    I have a 2008 Torrent.

They told you it was the vent valve. That opens to let the gas tank give off pressure to the atmosphere when parked through the carbon canister. It is closed only when the system is being tested to give a vacuum. That is a less common failure compared to the purge valve which passes the vacuum to the tank for testing and for pulling air in through the carbon canister to clear out the trapped gasoline vapors.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,