Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Does It Need a Start Button? - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in BMW
imageDoes It Need a Start Button? - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 BMW i3 has a lot of neat ideas in its interior. Here's a closer look at its gear lever.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sharp_caisharp_cai Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2015
    TESLA interior is plain besides the gaint iPad screen, eveything else looks so cheap...you won't feel you are driving a car which cost you 100k.OVERPRICED!
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    sharp_cai said:

TESLA interior is plain besides the gaint iPad screen, eveything else looks so cheap...you won't feel you are driving a car which cost you 100k.OVERPRICED!

Until you hit the accelerator and push 1.2 Gs and a 0-60 time in nearly 3 seconds flat and drive in a car that's silent, nearly maintenance free and has a full "tank" every morning. I don't know why you would buy any other car other than a Model S if you had 100k to spend.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "It's a nice spot for handbags..." Or a "European shoulder bag" per the great Progressive commercial.
  • markedwardsmarkedwards Member Posts: 32
    The gear selector action makes perfect sense. Push forward to go forward. Pull backwards for reverse. To me a bigger issue is that the term gear selector itself is a misnomer. Direction selector seems more logical since it controls a single-speed transmission. I've lived with mine for more than a year and had numerous friends drive it. None have attempted to operative it like a stalk.

I also have to disagree with the idea of a bin in the center of the floor. The interior is designed so it's easy to slide across the center console and exit from either door. Once you raise the center armrest the rest of the center console is essentially the same height as the seat cushions. When parallel parking on busy city streets, I often slide across and exit on the curb side to avoid opening the door into traffic. It's one of my favorite features.
  • lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    fordson1 said:

"It's a nice spot for handbags..." Or a "European shoulder bag" per the great Progressive commercial.

"It's a satchel!!! Indiana Jones has one!!"

Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • anotherdrunkanotherdrunk Guest Posts: 30
    edited July 2015

sharp_cai said:

Until you hit the accelerator and push 1.2 Gs and a 0-60 time in nearly 3 seconds flat and drive in a car that's silent, nearly maintenance free and has a full "tank" every morning. I don't know why you would buy any other car other than a Model S if you had 100k to spend.

Too big .. enough said
    4 doors .. i dont like 4 door sedans period
    Ugly styling .. roundish and not interesting

3 fatal reasons right there

• nuievenuieve Member Posts: 43
    Makes about as much sense as Cruise Control on/off switch. I mean, if you want it on you just "set" it, or if you want to cancel it, you "cancel" it. What exactly on/off is for? Why don't we have on/off master switch for everything - power windows, mirrors, a/c, seat controls etc? Really stupid.
  • voicekillervoicekiller Member Posts: 1
    Twist forwards to go forward and twist backward to backward. Yes, that seems very confusing. Could it be that the stalk paradigm makes zero sense as we move from cars with gears to single speed transmissions?
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    Yeah the flat for so 1966 Toronado.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    Edit above.....The flat floor is so 66 Toronado. Amazing that auto journalists are amazed at how roomy a car can be when the driveline does not consume floor space.