Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Needs New Head Unit - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Dodge
imageNeeds New Head Unit - 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 Long-Term Road Test

There are many relatively modern pieces on our long-term 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8, but the stereo isn't one of them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    I've always been partial to Alpine's head units, though I've never used one with NAV. Does anybody make an in-dash multi-disc/NAV aftermarket unit? I constantly struggle with my desires to have aftermarket stereo equipment and my desire to not ruin the cohesive look of my interior.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    That's actually pretty remarkable that it doesn't have an aux in port. The far less fancy factory head unit in my 2007 Forester, which cost about half what this car did, had an aux in.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    There's a reason I still use the Cassette player in my 2000 Miata - so I can hook up my phone do it. Still sounds pretty good.
  • t27t27 Member Posts: 3
    I had an 07 Red Charger SRT8 just like this with a JBA Exhaust. But it never spent time in San Diego. Anyway, there were 3 stereo choices, Edmunds has the highest end model. Only the base model stereo had an aux input, which is really odd, mine did not.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    Are there steering wheel controls? Usually one must purchase an adapter to maintain their functionality with aftermarket head units. If this were my car, I might first consider an adapter to just upgrade your head unit to receive iDevice or USB input. Sometimes these adapters allow control of the iDevice/USB unit with the car's native controls.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    If there are no steering wheel controls, proceed directly to aftermarket head unit, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
  • tom_in_mntom_in_mn Member Posts: 61
    Does it have an optional CD changer? If so there is an unused input on the head unit you can get an adapter for to get an aux input. Worked great on my 2004 Toyota.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    At least this type of headunit (double din?) would look okay with an aftermarket unit. In some cars, the stereo is so integrated with the rest of the dash that it's impossible to swap it out. Or even you did, it would look seriously ugly.
    I think this is an in-dash 6 disk player, so it probably doesn't have the extra port in the back. That said I know there are adapters that replace the sat radio input.

But it is probably easier and not that much more expensive to just replace the whole unit and also get useful features like bluetooth integration.
  • cromagnum_mancromagnum_man Member Posts: 54
    There's an iSimple device that you can get online for less than $100. It plugs into the factory harness behind the radio and give you an iPhone connection and aux input. I put one in my Dodge Magnum and it was very easy to do.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    Time for some Crutchfield research.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    edited July 2015
    ...Adjust the base and let the Alpine blast
    Pop in my CD and let me run a rhyme
    And put your car on cruise and lay back cause it's the summertime
  • chase300chase300 Member Posts: 6
    You can add a newer OEM Chrysler touchscreen/nav unit with an adaptor harness...all simple plug and play.

There's an iSimple device that you can get online for less than $100. It plugs into the factory harness behind the radio and give you an iPhone connection and aux input. I put one in my Dodge Magnum and it was very easy to do.

I used one of those to add iP and aux ports to the stereo of the 2004 Jetta I bought (cash) to replace the Subaru (payment). It worked great.
  • mattpedersenmattpedersen Member Posts: 2
    In my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, I purchased and self installed a OEM iPod adapter. It worked great, though it was weird to have a random cable coming out of the area under the glove box. However, it would not be compatible with the lighting port on newer iOS devices. Even my 2012 GMC Sierra, which has a USB port does not support the lightning iOS devices.