Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

It Might Not Look Like Much, But Its Got It Where It Counts - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in BMW
imageIt Might Not Look Like Much, But Its Got It Where It Counts - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 BMW i3 fills the middle ground between more affordable EVs like the Nissan Leaf and the uber-premium Tesla Model S. Whether it looks good doing it is a matter of taste.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I think they intentionally created the i3 to not look "like a BMW" in risk of affecting their other sales. They clearly know how to make an exciting looking car with the i8, so I think they were looking to "make a statement" instead of creating a mass market car.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    BMW clearly tried to make the i3 distinctive. They looked at the marketplace and found that everybody knows what a Prius is but most don't even know that there's a Camry Hybrid. The most successful (sales-wise) cars with alternative powertrains are those with distinctive styling. Really it's only Tesla who has created a car that does look too far out of the mainstream although it does look great and has the benefit of not being not having any gas-only cars in the lineup to confuse with it.
  • mecksermeckser Member Posts: 18
    The styling overwhelms everything else about the i3. I wouldn't care if it had a Mr. Fusion, the way it looks is just too hideous.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    When an i3 tries to sidle up next to its i8 brother, the i8 averts its eyes and slides over to the next parking space.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    edited July 2015
    The styling overwhelms everything else about the i3. I wouldn't care if it had a Mr. Fusion, the way it looks is just too hideous.

Great...now I'm not sure HOW I should feel about the i3!
  • prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    I think the car would look considerably better if the rear door window treatment wasn't goofy and followed the beltline instead. I feel the same way about the current Honda Odyssey.