Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Saab 92-X Aero (163,000) vs. 2005 Acura TL (121,000); The better buy at a similar price.

theconcepttheconcept Member Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in General
I'm really considering two cars right now, an 05 Acura TL (FWD, 258hp, 233 lb·ft of torque, 3.2L V6, 121,000 miles, rebuilt title) or a 05 Saab 92-X Aero (Awd, 227hp, 217 lb·ft of torque, 2.0L turbo, 163,000 miles, clean title). The Saab has very clearly been taken better care of and has an owner that knows what he's doing, the TL owner is the exact opposite, doesn't seem to know much about cars, is more of a visual modder that only does dumb cosmetic things. The Saab has several upgrades and a well documented service history, but the miles worry me, the TL is more where I want to be miles wise, but I doubt it's been taken care of nearly as well as the Saab.

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

I'm really considering two cars right now, an 05 Acura TL (FWD, 258hp, 233 lb·ft of torque, 3.2L V6, 121,000 miles, rebuilt title) or a 05 Saab 92-X Aero (Awd, 227hp, 217 lb·ft of torque, 2.0L turbo, 163,000 miles, clean title). The Saab has very clearly been taken better care of and has an owner that knows what he's doing, the TL owner is the exact opposite, doesn't seem to know much about cars, is more of a visual modder that only does dumb cosmetic things. The Saab has several upgrades and a well documented service history, but the miles worry me, the TL is more where I want to be miles wise, but I doubt it's been taken care of nearly as well as the Saab.

The Acura sounds like a pig that I wouldn't want.. But, 163K miles is a lot for that turbo engine on the Saab. Be careful of "upgrades" on the Saabaru. Some of those are high-stress to the engine.

The 9-2X Aero is hard to find, and desirable. A luxury WRX for less money..

How much are they asking?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• theconcepttheconcept Member Posts: 3
    Both are at 7K, the Saab probably has some wiggle room though. Also the Saab seems to have had internal engine maintenance done not too long ago. "Engine internal work done at 150k at turbo time in Cary, NC/
    Resurfaced stock pistons, valves, basically fixed a compression leak/Timing belt, water pump and tensioners done when I got the car at about 125,000ish and all fluids and belts replaced"
  • theconcepttheconcept Member Posts: 3
    Also I forgot to mention that the Saab is a 5 speed and the Acura is a 6 Speed.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Forget the TL. Check if your local Subaru dealer or mechanic will work on the Saab. 
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    How do you "resurface" a piston?

I wouldn't buy either car. They Acura sounds like a roach and the Saab?Subaru is an orphan car that few shops will work on. If you ever get in a collision I would think body parts would be near impossible to find.

I think there are much better options out there.