Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for June — Incremental Improvement in Lifetime MPG - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Volkswagen
imageFuel Economy Update for June — Incremental Improvement in Lifetime MPG - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds reports the fuel economy of its long-term 2015 Volkswagen GTI test car for the month of June.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Ugh, Premium Fuel only. Gas here in North GA is $2.29 at Costco (recently dropped). Premium is $2.72 at Costco. That's 19% more for premium. Getting 26 mpg + premium fuel for a brand new small car is not something I could swallow. Even if it doesn't add substantially to the actual costs of ownership (especially given depreciation and repair costs on a German car), it'd be a really tough thing psychologically.
  • dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    For the past 7 years I owned a 2.0T Jetta that recommended premium. While they (VW) said you could use regular unleaded, it impacted performance and gas mileage. I can confirm this because the first two years I owned the car, I tracked the gas mileage and when regular unleaded was used (not often), I frequently had a decrease in gas mileage by about 2mpg. That's not much, but with that and the reduced performance, I just kept using premium. I figured that it only added another $2 so I just did it.
  • ethanspitzethanspitz Member Posts: 2

Ugh, Premium Fuel only. Gas here in North GA is $2.29 at Costco (recently dropped). Premium is $2.72 at Costco. That's 19% more for premium. Getting 26 mpg + premium fuel for a brand new small car is not something I could swallow. Even if it doesn't add substantially to the actual costs of ownership (especially given depreciation and repair costs on a German car), it'd be a really tough thing psychologically.

Oh boo who. $4.09 at costco in SoCal, want to trade?
  • robbiecrobbiec Member Posts: 1
    1,481/61.1 = 24.2. How could the lifetime average INCREASE to 26.4 if you only got 24.2 last month? Nice math.

And really kirkhilles1, you need to complain about this car that produces 105 hp/liter requiring premium fuel? You realize this is a performance car, right? A corolla or civic would probably suit you better.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    Yeah...you don't *have* to use premium...but my '07 with its 10.5:1 CR is not even particularly fond of less than 93 octane! It has significant turbo lag with 87 octane, and runs a slightly more rich 14.5:1 instead of 14.7:1 AFR to keep the catalyst cool, and is much more eager to run the enriched 10:1 AFR under load vs running premium.