Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dealer selling extended warranty based on so many electronics that can go wrong over 7 years

jman46jman46 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in Subaru
They say the cars are great, just untested new bells and whistles when it comes to lane changing, adaptive cruise control, blind spot warnings, etc.

Is it worth $1500 for 7 years of warranty? Just have 5 more days to get the warranty, if we want it!

Comments

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    $1500 for what 7 year warranty? Subaru Added Security Classic? or Gold Plus? Miles? Deductible?

Why only 5 more days? You can get the Added Security Plan anytime before the 3/36 warranty expires.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Ask 20 people and you'll get different answers.

I've never went for these programs. Have always said take $1,500 or whatever and put it away. Odds are you'll have part of your $1500 left in 7 years.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2015
    I don't much believe in them either. If I were to buy one on a new car, I'd want a "Subaru" one, not a third party one. And you should be able to buy one at most any Subaru dealer.
  • jman46jman46 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone who responded! The sales person was homing in on the new electronics on the cars and WHO knows how long those things will go without issues...and they are all safety related features.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you do decide you want the extended warranty, shop around. You can negotiate prices on them just like you can on cars, and the mark-up tends to be high.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    jman46 said:

Thanks everyone who responded! The sales person was homing in on the new electronics on the cars and WHO knows how long those things will go without issues...and they are all safety related features.

Be sure that what they are selling actually covers the features you are worried about...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator