Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Driveway cruise'n - 2006 Ram

ediddy75ediddy75 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Dodge
i have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi. it starts and idles normal, but when i press the brake to go from park to reverse, it dies before i even move the shifter... ive had it hooked to a code reader and it doesnt show anything. any clues???

Answers

• 93tracker5spd93tracker5spd Member Posts: 194
    Hello! I can't say that I know the configuration of that vehicle, but if the brake is causing it to die out, it is most likely connected to one of two things, either an electrical short in the brake system, or a vacuum problem as power brakes use vacuum assist. I would start by unplugging the brake light switch under the dash to see if this effects the idle when the pedal is depressed. Then take a look at where the brake booster draws vacuum from and what else is connected to it. Another quick thing might be to block your wheels and try shifting into gear without using the brake at all to see if it still idles, if it doesn't die out this would confirm that it is somehow connected to the application of the braking system. Good luck!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, a vacuum leak from the power brake booster could cause an engine to stall.