Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

SUV Conundrum

triumph65triumph65 Posts: 5
edited July 2015 in General
We currently have a 2003 7.3L diesel Excursion.  It's huge, great on the rocky deer lease and loves the highway.  I did a high quality suspension job on the truck to improve ride and stability.
The problem is the truck is becoming unreliable for cross-country travels.  With 3 teens I need something reliable on road trips.
id love another diesel SUV but they are all too small.
wife would like to downsize one step to a Tahoe or Sequoia.I also need to haul a flatbed at times.
I'm turned off by the poor gas mileage of the Armada & Sequoia.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    How much weight would you be towing with that flatbed? The new Tahoe is a pretty nice vehicle. Drives like a dream---I rented one recently.

I would suggest, that if your need for heavy towing is only 5% of the time, then I'd pick something that works for 95% of the time and rent a truck for that 5%.
  • triumph65triumph65 Posts: 5
    Mr. Shiftright, I actually said flatbed to give an idea of the weight.  We have a 5x12 utility trailer with high sides that I load with firewood a couple times a year.  The wood comes out to about 3/4 of a cord.  I've never weighed the trailer full of wood but I'm guessing 3-4 thousand pounds when fully loaded.  I need 4x4 for the deer lease and the wood is located off road.  
    Mae also pull two cross country trips a year in the mountains.
    a heavy duty suspension and 4x4 is a must.
    Thanks for your reply!