Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Forester vs 2015 Crosstrek

missmelismissmelis Member Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in Subaru
Hi. I currently own a 2009 Impreza Outback Sport and will be trading it in soon for a new Subie. I'm torn between the Forester Premium and the Crosstrek Limited. I've read the reviews and it seems like the experts like the Forester better for it's power and larger cargo space, but it appears from the consumer reviews, that the Forester's sound system is not very good. Any opinions?

Best Answers

Answers

• missmelismissmelis Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys! I like the sporty look of the Crosstrek but more cargo space and little more zip is also appealing.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    Someone just posted a link to our Crosstrek review and one thing our editors didn't like was the "substandard sound system".

The one Forester negative consumer review here complaining about the sound quality was from a Limited owner, so perhaps the upgraded stereo in the Forester Premium would suit your aural needs.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Why are you deciding between a Forester Premium and Crosstrek Limited? Why not Premium to Premium or Limited to Limited? I guess the Forester Premium and Crosstrek Limited are comparable price wise?
  • sunbrightsunbright Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the 2015 Forester yesterday, and liked much about it, except the mileage showed it was getting only 14 mpg (this is a mostly country/open highway area) and when I started out it said 40 miles were left on the tank, and after a 3 mile test drive, it still said 40 miles were left on the tank. My research shows the major complaints with this car by owners was gas mileage. I'd like to know if this *is* a problem, and if it was fixed in the 2016, which is just being delivered to our local dealers.
  • sunbrightsunbright Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention I also drove the Crosstrek, and it was a nice car with plenty of pep. The cabin was more cramped, seats less comfortable, and drive a bit rougher than the Forester. Were it not for my concerns about the Forester, I probably would have purchased one.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of people get great mpg with their new cars, but my last new car didn't start settling in to decent mpg (close to the EPA) until I had around 4,000 miles on it. So I'd put more stock in owner's reports than the readout on a new car (and even with owners reports, it helps to know how many miles they have on their car, and what kind of driving they usually do).
  • fredbilloiefredbilloie Member Posts: 7
    sunbright said:

I test drove the 2015 Forester yesterday, and liked much about it, except the mileage showed it was getting only 14 mpg (this is a mostly country/open highway area) and when I started out it said 40 miles were left on the tank, and after a 3 mile test drive, it still said 40 miles were left on the tank. My research shows the major complaints with this car by owners was gas mileage. I'd like to know if this *is* a problem, and if it was fixed in the 2016, which is just being delivered to our local dealers.

??? The mileage of a vehicle you Test drive will almost always look very poor and it shows NOTHING. Think about it. Short Test drives with people testing acceleration and cars sitting with their motor running are NOT conducive to great mileage. My friend with a 2014 Subaru is getting 26 miles to the gallon in the city! Also when their is very little mileage on the car test drives will almost certainly show a gain on miles to empty if you were one of the few drivers that treated it gently. i. e. if someone drives a car and guns it the MPG will be poor. Then when another person test drives it the miles to empty can easily INCREASE instead of going down because the computer recomputes the miles to empty by interpreting the poor MPG WITH the great MPG you may have produced. My miles to empty on my Mazda 6 ALWAYS increases when I switch from lousy local MPG to much better freeway MPG.