Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

General leasing question

joshdentjoshdent Member Posts: 15
edited July 2015 in General
I'm looking for some advice. I am looking at leasing a new car, and I am not sure yet exactly what I want. Because of the amount that I drive, I really need a 15k mile/yr lease. Many of the car manufactures offer a 3 yr/36k mile warranty. That would not cover the 3 yr/45k mile lease that I am looking to get. Does that mean that I should avoid leasing a car from those manufacturers? Do car manufacturers offer an add-on warranty package at additional cost to cover the remainder of the lease, or does the add-on warranty usually cover such a large additional chunk of time and/or miles that it is not worth it? I currently lease a BMW with a 4 yr/50k warranty so it was not an issue but looking at Volkswagen, Subaru, etc realized that this could be an issue. Thanks for your help!

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    edited July 2015
    joshdent said:

I'm looking for some advice. I am looking at leasing a new car, and I am not sure yet exactly what I want. Because of the amount that I drive, I really need a 15k mile/yr lease. Many of the car manufactures offer a 3 yr/36k mile warranty. That would not cover the 3 yr/45k mile lease that I am looking to get. Does that mean that I should avoid leasing a car from those manufacturers? Do car manufacturers offer an add-on warranty package at additional cost to cover the remainder of the lease, or does the add-on warranty usually cover such a large additional chunk of time and/or miles that it is not worth it? I currently lease a BMW with a 4 yr/50k warranty so it was not an issue but looking at Volkswagen, Subaru, etc realized that this could be an issue. Thanks for your help!

We've leased quite a few cars with 36K mile warranties, and driven 48K-55K miles. I can't recall any out-of-warranty repairs, though I may have overlooked something small. Most of those were Honda leases, with a few others sprinkled in.

Generally, big repairs tend to come after 50K miles.

Some of this might be showing my personal experience, but I wouldn't bat an eye on Honda, Toyota or Nissan. VW, Ford or GM models might give me pause. Although, some of the 36K mileage makes do warrant the drivetrain for 50-60K miles..

If you find something you really want, I'd just take my chances. No point living with a car that's just a "good deal" to avoid driving a car you really want, that's only out of warranty from 36K-45K miles. For instance, if I could get a killer deal on a VW GTI for 36mo, 15K/yr, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. Easy to say, now that I only drive 11K/yr, though.. lol.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291
    You may also consider a Hyundai or a Kia, both of which offer 10 year warranties that will cover you bumper to bumper through the lease term. I'm in year 2 of a lease on a Hyundai (closing in on 30,000 miles) with nothing but regular maintenance having been done.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4