Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Good-Enough Air Conditioning - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Dodge
imageGood-Enough Air Conditioning - 2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test

The previous-gen Viper had a tendency to roast your feet while keeping your hands cool. Our new 2015 Dodge Viper fixes that basic comfort deficiency.

Read the full story here

Comments

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Sure, it would've been neat if it had gotten so cold I had to turn the fan down or if it had some sort of humidity control as it was bone dry in there, but Vipers are supposed to be a little rough around the edges.

This is also why they're having trouble selling them. A Corvette will tear a track up all day but the air conditioning will put out ice cubes just like an Impala. Considering how small the cabin of the Viper is the A/C should have no trouble keeping it cold. As far as I know only Porsche and GM design and test their cars to be used as daily drivers as well as canyon carvers.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I don't know @allthingshonda, the i8, R8, and SLS/AMG-GT seem to do well in daily driver duty, for example. Other high dollar cars such as the 458 and 12C (or whatever its derivatives are being called now) also seem to be very comfortable, although I don't know about reliability.

Either way, your point stands. The Viper's competition is so darn tough. You've got cars that are fast, beautiful, comfortable, and fairly easy to drive; all at the same time!
  • injectors_12injectors_12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mike, Thank for sharing such an interesting road trip via this write- up of blog!
    Good Luck for next trip
    Thanks!
  • gifters1gifters1 Member Posts: 5
    When do you think Dodge will start putting a 6BT in their cars, viper or challenger, Billet Aluminum Block cranked out to 1500hp. Scheild Diesel can help them out. The right rear diff 2.73 or lower but still needs to be built
  • red_xj2000red_xj2000 Member Posts: 13
    Nothing like a review full of backhanded compliments. How long will you guys keep calling it a "truck" engine as well?
  • Mike_MagrathMike_Magrath Member Posts: 23

Nothing like a review full of backhanded compliments. How long will you guys keep calling it a "truck" engine as well?

No exactly timeline. My guess is the day it stops feeling like it was pulled out of a heavy-duty Ram. Or when they stop making the flywheel from plutonium. Or when it stops sounding like a truck. -mm
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471

This is also why they're having trouble selling them. A Corvette will tear a track up all day but the air conditioning will put out ice cubes just like an Impala.

Yeah, but the Corvette only needs ambient temps in the 70's to overheat, while the Viper kept pounding away when it was 118 out. :P

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

Yeah, but the Corvette only needs ambient temps in the 70's to overheat, while the Viper kept pounding away when it was 118 out. :P

Good point! Forgot about that.