Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,029
    I'm in inspection heck at the moment. Buyers of our house want us to repair the roof due to hail damage - what's funny is that there isn't enough damage to warrant a full replacement of the roof. My wife's first husband was a roofer, and her son has done some roofing as well, so she's got some knowledge on the subject - her perspective is that trying to repair a roof may create as many problems as it solves.
    Will your insurance company pay part or all if the roof actually does show hail damage? Or is this the inspector being picky?
    According to the inspector, there isn't enough damage to warrant a claim. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

I've been amazed at the price of pickups, of any stripe, probably over the last 5-6 years. Every time I go to a car show and look at the stickers, I just shake my head.

That said, these are vehicles that aren't used for hauling gravel or mulch....probably not even used for towing. They are hulky, big, blingy, vehicles that have no other purpose than to stroke the owner's financial ego.

To me, there are much better vehicles for that duty, but none of them are as big as the F150.

p

Up here Ford Canada was recently offering 2015 F150s - nice ones too, not stripper work trucks - for $249/mo on a 24 month lease. The deal seemed too good to be true. Maybe it was, since it is no longer out there.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh well, that's some slack for you. If the car starts acting up, you can have it fixed under warranty and then consider your future with it. I like Audis, especially the Allroad, but they are very pricey to repair and maintain.
    breld said:

When is the warranty up on that Audi?

breld said:

I'm spending the week here up in Vail for a work retreat. The "work" part is pretty minimal. :)

So I am mulling over my option to purchase my brother's car. He's getting close to a deal on a Q5 with his broker, and the broker has agreed to transact the deal if I want to buy his Allroad (so he still gets the trade credit).

So, I could get a 2013 Allroad with 28k miles, well-equipped with the Premium Plus package, navigation, B&O stereo, etc. And I could buy it for $29,500 (his trade plus $500).

I've always like the Audi wagons, and it would certainly fit my needs well. Since we bought the BMW 'vert recently with a stick, I could probably give up the daily stick driving with the Mazda.

But...I don't think I'm "done" with the Mazda - still really enjoying it for many reasons.

We'll see...I'm definitely leaning much more toward the side of not doing it, but thought I'd share.

About a year and a half (or 22k miles) on my brother's Allroad - I assume that's the one you're asking about?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    Michael, push back in that case. Not art showing it again to all the other interested parties, and see if the current ones blink to avoid losing it.

On my dads house, first people came in 1st day, and put strong offer in to effectively take it off the market. Then they dragged feet a bit, and got picky, and tried to lower their offer. I think all on purpose, think they had the hook set.

Ended up starting showings again (lots of pending interest still) and had another offer, same as first one, within days without the games.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Michael, push back in that case. Not art showing it again to all the other interested parties, and see if the current ones blink to avoid losing it.

On my dads house, first people came in 1st day, and put strong offer in to effectively take it off the market. Then they dragged feet a bit, and got picky, and tried to lower their offer. I think all on purpose, think they had the hook set.

Ended up starting showings again (lots of pending interest still) and had another offer, same as first one, within days without the games.

I think we're going to not deal with the roof and offer a warranty instead. Same with the original 15 year old water heater. Figure it's a gamble as to whether they'll need to be replaced in the next 12 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2015
    lol, the thirteen year old water heater here died within three months. Inspector said it was on its last legs when we bought the place. Other stuff evened out the risk so we didn't push it.

Have to agree on the strategy in a seller's market. It's kind of like car shopping when you have a spare car and don't need to buy one "today". If are willing to walk, you're more likely to get your price, whether you are buying or selling. Assuming the price is reasonable and it sounds like you were spot on.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Michaell said:

I think we're going to not deal with the roof and offer a warranty instead. Same with the original 15 year old water heater. Figure it's a gamble as to whether they'll need to be replaced in the next 12 months.

Probably a safe bet on the roof, but I wouldn't do that with the water heater! If that thing goes, and it very well could, it could cause major damage (and you don't want to be on the hook for that). It's way, way cheaper just to put a new heater in there and call it a day.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I assume they are purchasing a warranty, not guaranteeing it personally. No way I would do that!

As a buyer, I hate sellers doing some things on their own. Will get the cheapest replacement unit most likely, and probably not what I would want. I would rather get a DIY credit back!

stickguy said:

I assume they are purchasing a warranty, not guaranteeing it personally. No way I would do that!

As a buyer, I hate sellers doing some things on their own. Will get the cheapest replacement unit most likely, and probably not what I would want. I would rather get a DIY credit back!

Ah, I didn't realize that one could do that. If the pricing works.....

I agree about the sellers doing things statement. I mean, what incentive do they have to put top quality into it? They get no benefit and it comes straight out of their pocket either way.

As far as the water heater goes, if it were me (and depending on the location/ventilation), I would replace the current unit with a GE GeoSpring Heat Pump Hybrid water heater. The cost isn't substantially more than a basic electric or gas unit (about $1,100), and it will generate significant savings . I bought one a couple years ago to replace my nine-year-old unit that failed, and it costs less than half to operate while giving me hotter water (and for longer periods throughout the day). It has paid for the added cost of buying it and, if it keeps working for another 30 months, will have fully paid for itself. Anything on top of that is cake (even if the cake is a lie)!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    suydam said:

You all do realize the difference between a fun cross country trip and MOVING across country, right?

Why, yes, yes I do. I moved from Edmonton to Richmond (both in Canada) in January one year. The first trip was to move my 240Z to Richmond, and the second was to drive the 24' U-Haul truck towing the Datsun 1600 (this was before they started calling it a 510) across the Rockies. Oh, there were two cats involved. I started with them in the cab of the truck and did the balance of the journey with them in the towed vehicle (running, with the heater on).

So, yes, I know the difference and still choose to drive my venicles. Call me a moron, please.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Thanks for the feedback. I need to price the warranty - I think between $300-$600. The most basic 50 gallon water heater is $499 before installation, so even if it goes, the warranty will be less expensive

We're getting a warranty with the house we're buying, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    edited July 2015
    stickguy said:

Agree! That is what happened to us when we bought our current house. Inspection turned up a problem with the water heater. I asked the lawyer to just ask for a credit at closing so I could replace it with an instant HWH. Well, sellers got the inspection report and had the water heater replaced before they even received our lawyer's request. Oh well.

That same heater is one of my concerns while selling, since it is now 11 years old. We may offer that 1-year warranty thing. It is $599, we're told. Really only helps with that water heater or AC compressor, in our case, I think, since the furnace is new and under warranty anyway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• anony336anony336 Member Posts: 19
    Long time, no post. Good to see some of the same old faces around! 
    that you anonymous poster? How's Gee35?

edited July 2015
    Water heater prices (installed) may surprise you. You can spend $1,000 easy. The heat pump one looks interesting but my panel is maxed out. If I went with solar panels, I could use some of the credits to put a 200 amp panel in (why they didn't do that in the first place is beyond me).

I'm dubious about what home warranties would cover too - kind of like car warranties. Bet there's some fine print that'll get you somehow. (Trulia)
    A reporter is looking to talk with a Millennial (age 18-34) who leased a luxury car within the last year. If you're able to help, please send your details to pr@edmunds.com by no later than July 29, 2015.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Wonder how old this thread really is? Can't go by my date because I've been here longer than what it says. Think it was early 2001 when I first came online but not positive. A lot of folks have come and gone though.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited July 2015
    I have no idea how old this thread is.

I used the "we owe" voucher I got for a free clean-up on the Yukon today. I think the detail guy was expecting a tip--my thinking was, the purpose of giving someone a free clean-up voucher should be so they get a free clean-up.

I know people generally tip the detail guys at dealerships which offer things like free car washes for life, but I think offering a detail as part of the sale is different. That said, I hate these awkward situations where I don't know whether I'm supposed to tip or not.
    corvette said:

I hate these awkward situations where I don't know whether I'm supposed to tip or not.

The point of a tip is to express gratitude for a job well done. As such, any expectation of a tip is fallacy on the part of the server and only sets him up for disappointment (or, at best, simple satisfaction). If you feel obligated to provide a tip, then it's no longer a gratuity - it is part of the bill. So, your bill says "free," then no tip required. However, if the service was stellar, by all means tip!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    Wow! I haven't posted here since October 2014. Where does the time go?

Just bought a 2015 Mustang GT. Details are over on Buying and Selling Cars board.

Do I still get credit for my punch or has my membership expired?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Link to your post 'over there', please?
    - Ray
    Don't know my way around that area....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    xwesx said:

corvette said:

I hate these awkward situations where I don't know whether I'm supposed to tip or not.

The point of a tip is to express gratitude for a job well done. As such, any expectation of a tip is fallacy on the part of the server and only sets him up for disappointment (or, at best, simple satisfaction). If you feel obligated to provide a tip, then it's no longer a gratuity - it is part of the bill. So, your bill says "free," then no tip required. However, if the service was stellar, by all means tip!

Well.. I don't know if I agree with you about the point of tips. If you go to a restaurant, tips are expected and customary. If you had a coupon for a free meal, and you didn't tip the waitress, you would be a cad (lol).

In the same manner, if it's customary to tip the employee who details your car, and you don't tip them because the dealership covered the bill, then that would seem to be a similar situation. Surely, you wouldn't think that the dealership slipped him a twenty under the table?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Wow! I haven't posted here since October 2014. Where does the time go?

Just bought a 2015 Mustang GT. Details are over on Buying and Selling Cars board.

Do I still get credit for my punch or has my membership expired?

You only get credit if you copy/paste your post, over here. ;)
    We can't be expected to follow you around..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    He's got a Mustang GT now. We're old news. I suspect we are now in a box somewhere in his garage. :'(
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Of course you get credit for the punch!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

rayainsw said:

- Ray

Try this link @rayainsw.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    rayainsw said:

- Ray

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/18576/general/x/buying-and-selling-cars-post-your-experiences/p464

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    oldfarmer50 -
    Very nice - enjoy!
    And thanks for the link...
    - Ray
    Hoping for impressions posted here ???
    2022 X3 M40i
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Speeding ticket in 3,2,1......
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Hello everybody from Saint Simons Island, GA! No punches to report over vacation. The Pilot's odometer crossed over the 65,000 mile mark. It has proven itself over and over again on these long summer road trips. Plenty of room for our family of 5 and all of our gear. I averaged close to 23 mpg on one leg of the trip from the NJ/PA border to Harrisonburg, VA. AC blows ice cold which is very helpful considering the temps here in the Deep South have been hovering close to or right above the century mark. We actually had 8 people in it at one time. 7 a couple times too. I've driven almost 1100 miles since last Saturday. Tomorrow we are headed out from here to Williamsburg, VA.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    edited July 2015

Wonder how old this thread really is? Can't go by my date because I've been here longer than what it says. Think it was early 2001 when I first came online but not positive. A lot of folks have come and gone though.

I think I heard awhile back that they lost all their data before March of 2001, or sometime thereabouts. I vaguely remember creating a profile way back in 1997, because I had gotten interested in a thread of DRLs, of all things (back when they were still a somewhat new thing, and the debate about them got as hot as pushrod vs OHC, USA vs foreign, etc). But, I don't think I started seriously posting until the fall of 1999. I know it was before I bought my 2000 Intrepid, and that was 11/6/1999.

**Edit. I just looked at my own profile and it says I joined in June 2000. I also went to the Dodge Intrepid forum, which I used to frequent a lot, and the first post from July 2000 says "this is a continuation of the Dodge Intrepid 3 Forum", with a dead link. So maybe it was around June/July 2000 and earlier that Edmund's lost (or purged) their data?

andre1969 said:

I think I heard awhile back that they lost all their data before March of 2001, or sometime thereabouts. I vaguely remember creating a profile way back in 1997, because I had gotten interested in a thread of DRLs, of all things (back when they were still a somewhat new thing, and the debate about them got as hot as pushrod vs OHC, USA vs foreign, etc). But, I don't think I started seriously posting until the fall of 1999. I know it was before I bought my 2000 Intrepid, and that was 11/6/1999.

**Edit. I just looked at my own profile and it says I joined in June 2000. I also went to the Dodge Intrepid forum, which I used to frequent a lot, and the first post from July 2000 says "this is a continuation of the Dodge Intrepid 3 Forum", with a dead link. So maybe it was around June/July 2000 and earlier that Edmund's lost (or purged) their data?

I've been on Edmunds since the late 1990's ('96 or '97). Yes, a change in the underlying Forum software reset all the dates to 2001.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    andre1969 said:

I joined sometime in 1998 when I was shopping for a replacement to a 95 Tacoma. Ended up with a 99 Explorer and have been buying every since!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Yeah, when I first came on in, I think, 1996 Michaelll and Andre were either here or just coming in. There's a few of us around who are closing in on the 20 year mark.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Check out the Wayback Machine sometime.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    A bit unexpected (if it ever really is), but we are in the process of making a punch right now.

GTI is being traded in....

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

A bit unexpected (if it ever really is), but we are in the process of making a punch right now.

GTI is being traded in....

Holy cow! I never even saw the GTI

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

GTI we hardly knew ye.
    edited July 2015
    Well, an entire year with the GTI.  Far from the shortest ownership experience.  We almost renewed the registration. :)

breld said:

I'll guess an S3 or an A4.

Or, could it be your brothers allroad?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Got an email from an Akron BMW dealer(I had asked about a 135is they had). Anyway, they sent me an email today announcing what sounds like a decent lease deal. Read all about it!
    Now, you would have to pay me $299/month to drive a 320i xDrive for three years, but I suppose it's great if you could tolerate the thing.
    I couldn't.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I don't know how they go from $299/month for a model with an MSRP of $38,000 to $399/month for a model with an MSRP of $40,640--the MSRP is not $3,600 higher. $299 is a great deal for that car with zero down, $399 isn't bad either.
    Well, dang. No sense in continuing dropping pictorial hints. Michael guessed it.

breld said:

Well, dang. No sense in continuing dropping pictorial hints. Michael guessed it.

So now you must update your signature line.....

We gotta do lunch in the next week or two ...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Congrats, breld! CCBA platinum status confirmed--you are definitely on pace for your typical 4-5 punches per year. 21 punches for the year so far, counting yours.
    Michaell said:

breld said:

So now you must update your signature line.....

We gotta do lunch in the next week or two ...
    Lunch sounds good - I'm pretty open the next couple weeks. I'll send a message for timing.

corvette said:

Congrats, breld! CCBA platinum status confirmed--you are definitely on pace for your typical 4-5 punches per year. 21 punches for the year so far, counting yours.

Thanks! I don't know about any more punches this year - this one was definitely pricier than any other GTI replacement we considered. :o

Few pics

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Very nice, details please. Fwd?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav