Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Handles Evasive Maneuvers With Ease - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Volkswagen
imageHandles Evasive Maneuvers With Ease - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI has the reflexes to dodge anything in the road.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    wow! glad you made it through unscathed!
  • nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    This is exactly why I've always viewed superior handling as a safety feature, as are strong acceleration and powerful brakes. Non-enthusiasts tend to think of performance cars as unsafe, but for crash avoidance they're much safer than mainstream cars, not to mention SUV's. Of course, safety in a crash can be a very different story.

Glad the GTI got you out of this one! Seems it could have been nasty.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Hey watch it with the "co-pilot" lingo. Does the speed say "Ground Speed" in the VW GTI???? If not, it's not a co-pilot, its a front seat passenger...
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    nedmundo said:

This is exactly why I've always viewed superior handling as a safety feature, as are strong acceleration and powerful brakes. Non-enthusiasts tend to think of performance cars as unsafe, but for crash avoidance they're much safer than mainstream cars, not to mention SUV's. Of course, safety in a crash can be a very different story.

Glad the GTI got you out of this one! Seems it could have been nasty.

This is exactly why I've always viewed carrying guns as a safety feature! Non-enthusiasts tend to think of guns as unsafe, but for massacre avoidance they're much safer than mainstream knifes, not to mention bats. Lol
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I don't think your brain processed the performance capabilities of the GTI in the few seconds before you executed an evasive maneuver. As a matter of fact you didn't say that you checked the mirrors or looked over your shoulder to make sure the lane was clear, because you didn't do it nor did you have time. Your brain recognized a threat and your natural instinct to move and get away from the threat kicked in. You would have done the same thing if you were driving the big cumbersome Ford F-150. And I'm sure it would have handled it well, a lot more body roll and the stability system probably would have kicked in but it would handle it with no problem.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    banhugh said:

Hey watch it with the "co-pilot" lingo. Does the speed say "Ground Speed" in the VW GTI???? ...

No, but it says it in the Mustang. Co-pilot status confirmed!
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123

I don't think your brain processed the performance capabilities of the GTI in the few seconds before you executed an evasive maneuver. As a matter of fact you didn't say that you checked the mirrors or looked over your shoulder to make sure the lane was clear, because you didn't do it nor did you have time. Your brain recognized a threat and your natural instinct to move and get away from the threat kicked in. You would have done the same thing if you were driving the big cumbersome Ford F-150. And I'm sure it would have handled it well, a lot more body roll and the stability system probably would have kicked in but it would handle it with no problem.

There's something in the subconcious that just knows whether or not you're driving something that can handle an evasive maneuver like that. If I were towing a trailer, then I'd know not to make that kind of sudden movement. As far as checking his mirrors, that's not necessary if the driver is aware of their surroundings. If you're checking your mirrors every few seconds and you know there's no one around, these kinds of emergency actions are possible.
  • qsoundrichqsoundrich Member Posts: 3
    I encountered a wrong-way driver on a stretch of I-70 in central Utah one night. I was fortunate to be in the right lane and slowed down and moved to the right. It was easy to do an avoidance maneuver in my Miata, but the pickup hauling a trailer started bucking and weaving all over the road. Fortunately nobody had any problems beyond that. Keep your wits about you even in the middle of nowhere, especially at night!