Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which should I get?

jkjk98jkjk98 Member Posts: 7
edited July 2015 in General
So I know this is kind of a stupid question, but which would be cooler for me to get (or just the better option), a 99 Ford ranger xlt extended cab 4wd (red) or an 02 Mazda protégé lx (black)? It's my first real car that I am paying for, I had a 97 vw cabrio convertible that I got from my brother and crashed :(... Also, which one would be more fun to drive? They are both manuals (automatics are boring...)

Answers

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    jkjk98 said:

So I know this is kind of a stupid question, but which would be cooler for me to get (or just the better option), a 99 Ford ranger xlt extended cab 4wd (red) or an 02 Mazda protégé lx (black)? It's my first real car that I am paying for, I had a 97 vw cabrio convertible that I got from my brother and crashed :(... Also, which one would be more fun to drive? They are both manuals (automatics are boring...)

The Protégé will be a much more fun car to drive. The Ranger is .... a truck. More versatile, and you'll be constantly asked to loan it out to folks who need a truck one day a year.

I assume both are relatively similar in price? How many miles are on them?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jkjk98jkjk98 Member Posts: 7
    The protege has 107k and the ranger has 186k! The ranger is around 2500 and the protege is about 1700! Both in great shape! Ranger pretty much no rust, protege alittle around the wheel well!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,896
    jkjk98 said:

The protege has 107k and the ranger has 186k! The ranger is around 2500 and the protege is about 1700! Both in great shape! Ranger pretty much no rust, protege alittle around the wheel well!

You might post this over in the "real world trade in values" discussion - lots of used car experts who can provide good feedback on both vehicles.

Though 80,000 miles difference between the two is a whole lot.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    Get the Protege inspected before you buy. Rust can be a real problem.