Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave AC Problems

Comments

• momlftntheheatmomlftntheheat Member Posts: 1
    Like many of you, I am also having issues with my AC. Let me start by saying how much I love my beautiful 2010 Enclave. I purchased the vehicle used a year ago and it was everything I wanted at the time. I skipped on purchasing the extended warranty with hopes of really enjoying the vehicle and trading up to a brand new model. I guess I should have done more research. I was sure that GM was reliable and wouldn't break down within another 3 years. Wrong!
    Last Friday, we decided to make a 3 hour trip to visit family. The drive was fine, no problems with the AC. However, the next day we hop in excited to sight see and take the kiddos to the park. And guess what?!! The AC starts blowing full blown HOT air from both the rear and front vents. WOW!! You really don't understand a heat index of 110 F until you're getting it full blast in an insulated Buick! We tried turning it ON/OFF, adjusting the AUTO settings, trying REAR only.... Nothing! What a disappointment. Not only that, but just to turn around and head back took 5- 10min because of the congested traffic. My poor kiddos tried to bare with us! We turned off the AC, rolled all the windows down, and just tried to breathe at a steady pace! As I looked back at them, they were really red, hair drenched in sweat, and complaining of the heat. Ugh! It ticks me off just thinking about it! Hot air was continuing to come through the bottom even though the AC was off.
    The next day I did a little research and turns out that the AC issues on the Enclave have been going on since 2008! Why,o why has there not been a recall?? I'm soo glad I didn't decide to remote start my vehicle and have the kids get in before me. I sometimes use the remote start to cool the car down before we enter it! It wouldn't have worked that day or even now... AC is on only HEAT mode for some reason.
    During my research, I found this website. Really glad I did! I read through the comments and seriously could not believe how many of us having been going through this. Not only those who live in Texas where the heat can cause death but those up North where the chilly cold weather can cause frost bite. What's the deal with these AC problems?? Why hasn't GM stepped in?
    Well, I called GM. With these exact same questions... Hoping a recall had been sent out by now. The very nice representative informed me that NOTHING for the AC had been issued but that there were two other ones that should get looked at. I asked about my warranty... And what do you know! It EXPIRED 1 DAY BEFORE I CALLED. He told me that he would email Sherri or Mallory to see if there was anything they could do. Being it was the wknd, I got a call from the dealership Monday. I was advised to get a diagnostic done $130/hour... I scheduled the appointment. Need to know what's wrong, right? Just got a call... It's the Evaporator Core! Ding, Ding! No surprise here after reading this forum. And guess how much for just the front one?? $2,000!! I mean really?? GM seriously?? How can you not see there's something wrong here? My dream car has just turned into a nightmare.
  • jacklin30jacklin30 Member Posts: 14

I too am having air condition problems with a (new for me) 2012 Buick Enclave. The Enclave was my dream car and I finally was able to purchase one the end of June of 2014. I do enjoy the car, but I have had air conditioning problems since I bought it. I took it to the dealership twice and they said they put a gauge on it and it was blowing cold air. Well, if you test it in the morning while it's cool, yes it will. But, when I drive it after it's been sitting out in the sun, it won't blow cold air at all. It blows air, but it's as hot as it can be and continues to blow hot after 20 to 30 minutes or more! My co-workers won't ride in my car to lunch anymore until I get it fixed. They have older cars than mine and say their cars get very cold within 5 to 10 minutes, that there is something wrong with mine. We get more cool air with the windows open on a 100 degree day than with the A/C on! I asked if it needed refrigerant and was told they checked it and it as fine. So, I told them about our experience taking the car to Vegas in July after I bought it and we suffered in 110 degree heat with no A/C! The guy told me well, in 110 degree heat it's not going to get as cold. Well I don't need the A/C when it's cool out, I need it when it's hot!

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jacklin30 said:

I too am having air condition problems with a (new for me) 2012 Buick Enclave. The Enclave was my dream car and I finally was able to purchase one the end of June of 2014. I do enjoy the car, but I have had air conditioning problems since I bought it. I took it to the dealership twice and they said they put a gauge on it and it was blowing cold air. Well, if you test it in the morning while it's cool, yes it will. But, when I drive it after it's been sitting out in the sun, it won't blow cold air at all. It blows air, but it's as hot as it can be and continues to blow hot after 20 to 30 minutes or more! My co-workers won't ride in my car to lunch anymore until I get it fixed. They have older cars than mine and say their cars get very cold within 5 to 10 minutes, that there is something wrong with mine. We get more cool air with the windows open on a 100 degree day than with the A/C on! I asked if it needed refrigerant and was told they checked it and it as fine. So, I told them about our experience taking the car to Vegas in July after I bought it and we suffered in 110 degree heat with no A/C! The guy told me well, in 110 degree heat it's not going to get as cold. Well I don't need the A/C when it's cool out, I need it when it's hot!

We're sorry to learn of this issue with your air conditioning, jacklin30. We certainly understand how this must be frustrating. Please private message us your VIN, mileage and contact information if we can try to be of assistance.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • naenglenaengle Member Posts: 1

I have a 2013 Enclave with the same issues so it's very unsettling that the original thread started back in 2009. So it looks like nothing was fixed. I just bought this vehicle in 2014 with only 18,000 miles, from our local Mercedes dealership. I just thought that maybe someone just wanted a more of a luxury name brand car but I thought why would anyone turn in something so new so quick. I went to Mercedes to get a Mercedes but saw the Enclave and side by side I just couldn't stop looking at this car and quickly feel in love with the new body style, and all the beautiful luxury amenities. 

But now I can guess why this person traded it in. On two long distance trips 5 hours plus, the AC shuts off ans just blows can air. I thought well maybe  low freon, but when we stopped for lunch it's started working again but shortly after it did it again... no cold AC air. When I got back home doing short back and forth travels it works fine. Then it did it again on another trip; so this was no flook. After driving for about 2 hours the cold AC air stops and it's just regular fan air blowing . When we would stop to take a potty break it would work again and then again after driving for about 15 minutes just fan air. It was a miserable trip. Something is obviously shutting off on the AC on long distant travels. I'm taking it to Buick to get fixed, I'm under warranty so I'll send an update on how it goes. 

• sugerbeesugerbee Member Posts: 1
    I am also having AC problems on my 2013 enclave which I bought new (stupid me) have taken back to dealer three times, 1st low coolant (had to wait 18 days to be seen!!) telling them I have no cool air in back of car have to turn the front down to 60 for any cool air.. Most of the time only vent air is blowing even in the front!!!!! And there is a hissing sound coming from the front vents.. $40.000 for a friggin car with no AC and can't get my local dealer to do anything.. They also hooked it up and said it shows it is cooling????? COME ON GM, do something...
    sugerbee said:

I am also having AC problems on my 2013 enclave which I bought new (stupid me) have taken back to dealer three times, 1st low coolant (had to wait 18 days to be seen!!) telling them I have no cool air in back of car have to turn the front down to 60 for any cool air.. Most of the time only vent air is blowing even in the front!!!!! And there is a hissing sound coming from the front vents.. $40.000 for a friggin car with no AC and can't get my local dealer to do anything.. They also hooked it up and said it shows it is cooling????? COME ON GM, do something...

Hi sugerbee,

We apologize for the trouble you've experienced with your air conditioning. We definitely realize this is not something you expect to happen with a new vehicle purchase. Can you please send us your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership so we can offer our assistance? We're available via private message, or email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber].

Thank you
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• j_vincentj_vincent Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Buick Enclave with 59k miles on it and the a/c condenser and a/c lines had to be replaced today....that is not an indication of quality. I had a Honda for 13 years and had less repairs on it than I have my Buick in the past 3.5 years. I am extremely confused as to why there are so many complaints about the a/c yet no class action law suit. I let the 0% interest rate be the determining factor when deciding between the Enclave and a Toyota....big mistake!! I will say that there is one person in particular in the service department at the dealership that goes over and beyond in customer service but customer service simply doesn't outweigh quality and I will NEVER purchase another Buick regardless of the price, interest rate or customer service.
  • hdc1435hdc1435 Member Posts: 1
    Had this Buick Enclave since Aug 2010. Thought it is claimed an entry level luxury SUV so the quality shall be better than others. Found AC evaporator leaking on Oct 2014! It is not acceptable to have the AC lines leaking in a 3.5-year luxury vehicle! And it is a major inconvenience in the hot SC summer. The problem was found and noticed by an "AIR TANK" leakage sound every stop (It is not noticeable when driving). Only 40K miles on it and it became a major junk! To fix this issue, costly ~$2400, but I just expired the factory warranty on Aug 2014, Noticed the air-tank leakage sound before Aug 2014, thought it was a small problem so not paid a lot attention on it until there was warm air blew out underneath dash board sometime. My heart goes out to all the families that are angry, frustrated and generally disappointed with such unacceptable flaws in a premium priced vehicle! $45,000? Not worth it! Had number of cars, like Toyota Camry (me) & Avaron (Daught), Mazda MPV (Wife), even a KIA. Not had such big issue within 3 years!!! All minor issue. I love the Buick car design and the overall quietness of the vehicle, and support our nations' vehicle! But so so so disappointed. Hopefully GM will notice this quality issue and having a recall to fix it!!!
    hdc1435 said:

Had this Buick Enclave since Aug 2010. Thought it is claimed an entry level luxury SUV so the quality shall be better than others. Found AC evaporator leaking on Oct 2014! It is not acceptable to have the AC lines leaking in a 3.5-year luxury vehicle! And it is a major inconvenience in the hot SC summer. The problem was found and noticed by an "AIR TANK" leakage sound every stop (It is not noticeable when driving). Only 40K miles on it and it became a major junk! To fix this issue, costly ~$2400, but I just expired the factory warranty on Aug 2014, Noticed the air-tank leakage sound before Aug 2014, thought it was a small problem so not paid a lot attention on it until there was warm air blew out underneath dash board sometime. My heart goes out to all the families that are angry, frustrated and generally disappointed with such unacceptable flaws in a premium priced vehicle! $45,000? Not worth it! Had number of cars, like Toyota Camry (me) & Avaron (Daught), Mazda MPV (Wife), even a KIA. Not had such big issue within 3 years!!! All minor issue. I love the Buick car design and the overall quietness of the vehicle, and support our nations' vehicle! But so so so disappointed. Hopefully GM will notice this quality issue and having a recall to fix it!!!

Hey hdc1435,

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns with your Enclave. I would be happy to look into this further for you. Please email me at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and the dealership you were working with.

Anisha T (assisting Patsy)
    GM Customer Care

• harts70harts70 Member Posts: 1
    I wish I checked this site before buying my wife her 2010 Enclave. Less than a month after buying it the a/c gets a funny smell and then quits. I've tried everything I've seen on all the sites for a "fix" and after reading all the posts on here it doesn't look like there is a fix for it. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet because there is no way I have the kind of money everyone has been talking about to fix the problem. Come on GM, after seeing that it's a "you" problem not a "me" problem, maybe YOU need to fix it! I know I will hear the same answers to the questions when I take it to the dealership and I'm sure I'll be out. This is a quality issue and it's YOUR issue so put out a recall and get it fixed. Remember when you needed a hand we all were happy to give it to you, now it's your turn.
    harts70 said:

I wish I checked this site before buying my wife her 2010 Enclave. Less than a month after buying it the a/c gets a funny smell and then quits. I've tried everything I've seen on all the sites for a "fix" and after reading all the posts on here it doesn't look like there is a fix for it. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet because there is no way I have the kind of money everyone has been talking about to fix the problem. Come on GM, after seeing that it's a "you" problem not a "me" problem, maybe YOU need to fix it! I know I will hear the same answers to the questions when I take it to the dealership and I'm sure I'll be out. This is a quality issue and it's YOUR issue so put out a recall and get it fixed. Remember when you needed a hand we all were happy to give it to you, now it's your turn.

Hi Harts70,

We definitely apologize for these concerns, and we would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Please send us an e-mail socialmedia@gm.com and include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. We do look forward to hearing from you soon!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care

• traverstytraversty Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 09 Traverse and am having the same A/C issues That are listed on this forum. I noticed GM customer care has been monitoring this thread of complaints for years now, with no solution for the Buick line or any of the sister line vehicles such as the Traverse. They aren't even monitoring the Traverse thread on this site. It is an obvious Manufacture Defect And should be brought to the attention to the powers that be. (Not GM) Your State Attorney Generals Office, and Better Business Bureau. Complaints can be made online In Most states I believe. If Enough of us complain to these authorities maybe GM will be forced to do the right thing by customers that are being trapped into a money draining product without prior discloser. I will be taking my vehicle in to be checked. Making copies of the findings and forwarding the Info and complaints to the BBB and Texas Attorney Generals office. These are expensive vehicles and should not have this kind problem across all the GM Brands.This A/C Manufacture Defect was identified as far back as 2008 throughout all the sister models that use the same original GM parts. I Urge Everyone Who Has This A/C Problem To Contact BBB and their State AT. The Word Needs To Get Out To The Public So They Will Be Informed Before They Enter Into A Financial Commitment That May Last Longer Than The Vehicle Life
  • burnscburnsc Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problems with the passenger side ac blowing nothing but hot air. I am wondering if anyone has found out the real problem.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    burnsc said:

I am experiencing the same problems with the passenger side ac blowing nothing but hot air. I am wondering if anyone has found out the real problem.

There are a number of potential causes. There isn't a single "real problem" and each event needs to be analyzed to prove what is happening to that particular car.

• mikelaw709mikelaw709 Member Posts: 1
    talk about disgusted. We have had to take our 2008 Buick in 5 times now for the EXACT same A/C issue. They could not find the problem each time but had to recharge the Freon each time. WOW don't you think there might be a leak?

So my warranty ran out this past December. Low and behold I have the issue as soon as the temperature rose and we started using the A/C again. But guess what this time they found the problem. A leaking Evaporator core. NOW you find the problem?!?!?! Thats $1800 I dont have. I will never buy a Buick or GMC again. and will discourage anyone i know from buying one either. Absolute garbage. Also I'm contacting a lawyer to get this thing lemon lawed. Luckily California law is on my side, this time.
    In fact it really is on your side. California has some very strict laws about refrigerant leaks in AC systems and especially about documentation for any repairs including temperature testing, and what kind of leak testing was performed. You might want to talk to BAR.
  • jgilmerjgilmer Member Posts: 1
    Wow, it's amazing at how many people are having the same A/C problem with their Buick Enclaves. I have a 2012 Enclave and the air stopped blowing cold in the front and rear over the weekend. I took it into my dealer this morning and they are saying I need a new Evaporator coil, since it was leaking. It appears from the posts on this website that the Enclave has two evaporator coils, one for the front and one for the rear. They showed me the rear evaporator coil and how it had leaked. They also showed where there was green on the line in the front. Unfortunately, my warranty ran out 10,000 miles ago. I don't understand why there hasn't been a recall, since this has to be a design flaw. I really loved this car, but I can't afford to stay with car manufacturer who won't address these type of issue.
  • lsfthlsfth Member Posts: 2
    2009 Buick Enclave...I have also experienced ongoing AC problems very similar to what has been described in this forum. WHY HASN'T GM DONE A RECALL ON THIS PROBLEM???
    The AC on my Buick Enclave has never worked well in high temp/high humidity days since I bought the car brand new. I usually keep the Auto Temp set at 78 in the Summer and 74 in the winter. My problems also started out with the front AC not putting out cold air, but the back working fine. Eventually the back stopped working as well. They replaced a valve last Summer but the problem returned in the Fall (the air was never as cold as it was before it stopped working properly). I didn't take it back in because I didn't need AC in the winter. But in the winter, the heat quit working on the front passenger side. I thought I finally had time and money to take it in to be repaired recently. I was wrong...

Now Sewell Buick Service Dept is telling me it needs an evaporator coil leak repaired for $1700 and they discovered a new problem...a timing cap needs to be replaced for $2000. My car has not had any oil leaking in my garage at all and no extra oil changes have been necessary...so the timing cap came as a complete shock. The Service Advisor said that was because it was slinging the oil when I was driving and it was falling into a cap so I would not have noticed it. I called my brother who owns his own mechanic shop in another state...he said the explanation on the timing cap does not make any sense. :(

NOT HAPPY!! After reading this forum I don't think I will purchase another GM car. My husband is still driving our 2001 Ford Expedition and it does not have anywhere near the problems my 2009 Enclave has had.
    lsfth said:

2009 Buick Enclave...I have also experienced ongoing AC problems very similar to what has been described in this forum. WHY HASN'T GM DONE A RECALL ON THIS PROBLEM???
    The AC on my Buick Enclave has never worked well in high temp/high humidity days since I bought the car brand new. I usually keep the Auto Temp set at 78 in the Summer and 74 in the winter. My problems also started out with the front AC not putting out cold air, but the back working fine. Eventually the back stopped working as well. They replaced a valve last Summer but the problem returned in the Fall (the air was never as cold as it was before it stopped working properly). I didn't take it back in because I didn't need AC in the winter. But in the winter, the heat quit working on the front passenger side. I thought I finally had time and money to take it in to be repaired recently. I was wrong...

Now Sewell Buick Service Dept is telling me it needs an evaporator coil leak repaired for $1700 and they discovered a new problem...a timing cap needs to be replaced for $2000. My car has not had any oil leaking in my garage at all and no extra oil changes have been necessary...so the timing cap came as a complete shock. The Service Advisor said that was because it was slinging the oil when I was driving and it was falling into a cap so I would not have noticed it. I called my brother who owns his own mechanic shop in another state...he said the explanation on the timing cap does not make any sense. :(

NOT HAPPY!! After reading this forum I don't think I will purchase another GM car. My husband is still driving our 2001 Ford Expedition and it does not have anywhere near the problems my 2009 Enclave has had.

We're sorry to hear of the concern and experience you've had regarding your Enclave, lsfth. Customer sentiment, such as yours, is very important to GM. We rely on our loyal customers and do not want to see you go. Would you like to have this looked at through another dealership in your area? We would be more than happy to assist you with this. Feel free to let us know how you wish to proceed. I look forward to your response and working with you.

With Regard,

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care

• kel03kel03 Member Posts: 3
    Well, it certainly sounds like Buick does have some issues with A/C in the Enclaves, and I was hoping not to be with the rest, but now suspect I am in the same boat with my 2011. I have a 2004 Camry, the A/C is working as the day I got it, so with saying that, what's up here. I purchased this certified unit from a GM dealer in December 2014. I had suspect prior to purchasing, but the salesman said he'd check it out prior to the purchase, being under the 3 month warranty, I felt comfortable. Prior to a trip to Florida 2.5 months away from the purchase, I still suspected issue, but they assured me it was ok, I just didn't understand how to use the system, and in cooler weather, it would not activate AC system. Now, it's May, I was having some noise develop in the dash like a hissing/vacuum noise, and now no cooler air. I will be making a visit to the Dealer, and salesman that sold me this vehicle.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    kel03 said:

I had suspect prior to purchasing, but the salesman said he'd check it out prior to the purchase, being under the 3 month warranty, I felt comfortable. Prior to a trip to Florida 2.5 months away from the purchase, I still suspected issue, but they assured me it was ok, I just didn't understand how to use the system, and in cooler weather, it would not activate AC system.

I hope you got a work order for each of your complaints that listed exactly what you were concerned about that they were to check. That helps keep them responsible.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Thanks, actually prior to the trip, I did bring it in, but they said all is ok, that was documented on a bill.
    kel03 said:

Well, it certainly sounds like Buick does have some issues with A/C in the Enclaves, and I was hoping not to be with the rest, but now suspect I am in the same boat with my 2011. I have a 2004 Camry, the A/C is working as the day I got it, so with saying that, what's up here. I purchased this certified unit from a GM dealer in December 2014. I had suspect prior to purchasing, but the salesman said he'd check it out prior to the purchase, being under the 3 month warranty, I felt comfortable. Prior to a trip to Florida 2.5 months away from the purchase, I still suspected issue, but they assured me it was ok, I just didn't understand how to use the system, and in cooler weather, it would not activate AC system. Now, it's May, I was having some noise develop in the dash like a hissing/vacuum noise, and now no cooler air. I will be making a visit to the Dealer, and salesman that sold me this vehicle.

Hi Kel03,

We definitely can understand your frustrations with this! You expect reliability with your vehicle and we always strive to provide you a quality vehicle for you to enjoy. We want to apologize for the unexpected concern involving your Enclave. We want to look into this further for you, and reach out to the dealership on your behalf as well. Please send us an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you.

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
    edited May 2015
    Patsy, I have sent an email to the address you have indicated in your note to me, thank you, will keep you posted on this, could you copy me on any correspondence with dealer, thanks
  • katiep2530katiep2530 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Hi I have a 2010 Buick Enclave and love it but just recently developed an a/c problem and took it to a place near us pep boys and was told it just needed a recharge ...$300 later and after 2 hrs a/c cont to work brought it back for ? Leak in compressor... For another $$$ is anyone else having this problem and is there a recall on this as well? I had a Honda CR-V and never had any issues and had it for 10 yrs . I didn't take to dealership b/c I figured this was a simple recharge issue ?! Any insight would be great thanks

Hi I have a 2010 Buick Enclave and love it but just recently developed an a/c problem and took it to a place near us pep boys and was told it just needed a recharge ...$300 later and after 2 hrs a/c cont to work brought it back for ? Leak in compressor... For another $$$ is anyone else having this problem and is there a recall on this as well? I had a Honda CR-V and never had any issues and had it for 10 yrs . I didn't take to dealership b/c I figured this was a simple recharge issue ?! Any insight would be great thanks

Hi Katiep2530,

We apologize for this concern, and we would be happy to look into this further for you. Please e-mail us at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • kkluttzkkluttz Member Posts: 1
    I cannot even begin to explain my frustration. Love, love, love my 2010 Buick Enclave 2XL, BUT I live in South Carolina where the weather gets above 85 very quickly and the EXACT same problems occur with the AC in the car. Works in the cooler mornings - cold, cold air from the vents. When the temperature rises above 85 or we are on a long trip in the heat, nothing but hot air. What? This is completely unacceptable. Been into the dealership twice for the issue. They "reset" - drained and reset? Now we are in summer number 3, and same.exact.issue. Obviously from this forum sampling this is a DESIGN issue. Come on, GM. My husbands much less expensive Toyota Highlander has never experienced design issues. Let's admit this is an design issue on your end and offer a solution.
  • pollylpollyl Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2008 Enclave from a local dealer (about 2 years ago) and the AC just went out in the front, but works in Aux/in the back. I took it to my mechanic and he called and asked me if anyone had ever worked on the blower motor or compressor because some of the screws were missing! These parts are under the dash so not something that would just "fall" out. He said it was clearly done enough to make it seem like it should work but apparently the blower motor is on top of the compressor (or vice versa) and one gets too cold and shorts out the other, causing it to fail. Almost $400 later, my AC works now. I am SUPER disappointed in this local dealer, even more so if they knew about this! Another reason I love my mechanic and don't trust the dealer. I have to take it in Monday for a recall so I will definitely be asking about this!!
  • hodum3hodum3 Member Posts: 1
    I was an advocate for buying american made vehicles for many years. I am a union member of 25 years and am sickened by what I am hearing in this post. I owned two gerenal motors sedans in 1998, but both of them had to go to the shop at least 8 times in the first six months of ownership. I took a twenty thousand dollar bath on these two cars due to depreciation and bought a honda. This was in 1999. I have owned three accords and one pilot since then with no issues to report. The first honda was a 1991 accord and had 340000 miles on it when I got Tboned in it. I was upset because the car was still so reliable. My wife owned the 1991 Accord when I met her so I kept it until I got something newer in 1998. I bought her the two vehicles I spoke of earlier and she kept wanting her old car back because of too many problems with the newer cars. I own a 2004 Honda Pilot now and was looking for something newer and bigger so we have been looking at the Enclave. I would like to thank all of you for steering me away from this decision that would have surely led to vast financial hardships and agitation. I have advice for all of you, Take it or leave it, but buy a pilot. The pilot is a little smaller, but makes up for it in dependability in spades. I have been driving Hondas for 20 years and have yet to wear one out. 1991 Accord 340000 miles and not even burning any oil. 1996 Accord 240000 miles and had a pickup pull out in front of me and destroyed the car. 60mph to zero and I walked away with minor injuries, The first responders said I should have been dead. Look at a 2016 Pilot if the looks of the Honda was stopping you before. I own a 2004 Pilot with 144000 miles and it still runs and drives like new. Stay far away from GM and they will either have to kick out the bean counters putting the cheapest part they can hang on their vehicles or go under from lack of sales. Vote with your feet and quit buying from them. It worked for me and just when I thought it was safe to go back to GM I have learned otherwise.
  • m1k313m1k313 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2008 buick used from a gm dealer 3 wKS ago.  It worked great took it on our family vacation and in the middle of the badlands at 100°f the front air stopped putting  and the rear was not very cold.  It was a concern at first as my son has febrile seizures if he gets to hot.

Was the first time we drove more than an hour one way non stop.    It happened  several times when driving longer distances.  We just had to put the windows down and turn off the air completely for about 15 to 20 mins then it would work again for 1 and a half hour to 2 hours.

Glad I ran into this site. When driving back home.  Going to call the dealer tomarrow.   I would think any recalls would have been taken care of before I bought it.
  • phillyman1phillyman1 Member Posts: 1
    Well our Leased 2014 Enclave just lost the A/C. They can't look at it until Monday to find out what's up? Road trip scheduled for this weekend so great.

2004 Yukon owner as well, every now and the the passenger A/C blows hot air. Took it in, they could replicate the problem but could not figure out how to fix it unless I approved a bunch of money to take it apart. No thanks, just close those vents. Never an issue with the driver or rear a/c though.
    edited July 2015

Well our Leased 2014 Enclave just lost the A/C. They can't look at it until Monday to find out what's up? Road trip scheduled for this weekend so great.

2004 Yukon owner as well, every now and the the passenger A/C blows hot air. Took it in, they could replicate the problem but could not figure out how to fix it unless I approved a bunch of money to take it apart. No thanks, just close those vents. Never an issue with the driver or rear a/c though.

Hello phillyman1,

I certainly understand how frustrating it must be to have A/C issues in your vehicles. Glad to hear that you are planning on working with the dealership to resolve the A/C concerns with your Enclave. I can recognize that this is an inconvenience before your upcoming weekend trip. I also see that you were having similar issues with your Yukon, but you were not planning on having it serviced. If you change your mind in the future please know that we are always here to help.

Let us know how things turn out with your Enclave. Have a safe trip!

Helen S.
    GM Customer Care
  • gearhead2015gearhead2015 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Enclave with A/C problems which we bought with 22k miles on it a few months ago. Ever since it has been to the dealer 3 times to get the airbag recalls/issues resolved, once to fix the horn blowing when turning the steering wheel and 2 times to get the A/C refrigerant filled. Each time I brought it in for the A/C the response is the same.. system pressure was low.. no leak found at this time. Luckily mine is still under warranty and I have no doubt in my mind the refrigerant is going to leak out again. If this issue cannot be resolved before 50k miles I will certainly be running to my local Honda dealership to rid myself of this mistake before it costs me serious cash. I have owned a 2008 TSX for the last 4 years which is very reliable and have had nowhere near the kind of issues I've had with this POS Enclave. For the amount of money these things cost quality control should be much higher. Lesson learned as I will never be purchasing another GM vehicle again.
  • matthewindianamatthewindiana Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Buick Enclave and have had nothing but problems with my A/C. Everything that everybody discussed above is everything I am currently experiencing. This is ridiculous and there should be a recall! How could GM not see this?!?!?!?
  • joetherockjoetherock Member Posts: 1
    We traded our 2011 GMC Acadia in for a 2014 Buick Enclave in November 2013. We have had the A/C go out 4 times and it is in the shop again right now. They called today and said they are unable to locate the parts which is what triggered me to do a search for this issue. I can't believe the problem has been occurring for 7 model years without a fix. Is this just in the Enclave's or is it happening to the Traverse/Acadia line too. My googling has come up with lots of Enclave complaints. My wife really wanted a Honda Pilot and I talked her into staying with the GM Line and getting the Enclave. Don't know if I'll get her convinced to buy another.
  • cab1234cab1234 Member Posts: 2
    I wish I had checked this Forum before purchasing my 2012 Buick Enclave. I purchased it used from a GM dealer in April. When we took a test drive, we noticed the AC not working well or at all. As a condition of purchase, we required the dealer to check the AC. They did and found nothing wrong. Of course, it was still under warranty at that time but now has 56k miles and we have had problems, of and on, throughout the summer. We first noticed the problem of freeze up on a trip to the Texas coast in June. We found that turning it off and waiting for a while would resolve the problem for a while. We have also had the rear AC appear to switch from cooling to heating. Again, turning it off and then back on occasionally solves the problem but not always. The final straw was yesterday when it was 101 and we had a 30 minute drive during which neither the front nor rear AC blew anything but hot air. Now this morning, when it is substantially cooler, it works just fine. I expect taking it back to the dealer will result in the same as when we purchased it, a finding of no problem because they cannot duplicate the problem. I will try to take it in while having the problem but showing up without an appointment has proved to be a problem.
  • cab1234cab1234 Member Posts: 2
    Follow up to my previous post - I contacted my dealers service advisor and told him of my problems. His first comment was that it must be low on Freon. Funny, it was not low 4 months ago when I bought it and they supposedly checked it. I advised him that I had check Edmunds and found that this was a common problem. He was quick to say that sites such as Edmunds were not a good source of information and I should not put any trust in what is posted. He told me to contact my salesman and get approval for repairs or I would have to pay for them. He also said that he would call me back later in the day to schedule an appointment. That was September 1. It is now September 5 and no call. My salesman, with whom I left and voicemail, has never called either. So much for GM service!
  • 2005aa13962005aa1396 Member Posts: 1
    October 30, 2015

I experienced this also this spring, no cooling from the air conditioner. I did add refrigerant and problem seems to have gone away. Yet on some longer trips it comes back but not with the vengeance of the spring trip. I have noticed on the longer trips condensate puddling under the Enclave at intermediate stops.

After reading the above earlier posts my thoughts are going to the fact of condensate not properly draining during the long trips. Earlier posters reading this think back, were those long trips non stop; no red lights or very short stops? Basically not enough time for the condensate to drain. I am thinking too small a drain port or back pressure when the vehicle is under way at higher highway speed. This never will be able to be repeated, parked at a dealership, engine and air conditioner operating in the parking lot for eight hours.
  • sndallassndallas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Enclave and have had AC issues too...twice to the dealer in the past couple of years bc the vents to the cabin stopped blowing cold air. The fan and AC were on...but no cold air out those vents. Now I'm having similar problems, but it involves the heater...

Sometimes, the cabin vents (driver side more than passenger side) stop blowing warm air, but the floorboard vents are fine. What's even more frustrating is the dealership's inability to fix this problem. I was told by the service adviser and tech that I need to turn the thermostat to 85 or maximum, because they don't see an error code when they analyzed it.

Just because they can't find an error code doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Buick/GMC...how about training your tech/advisers to diagnose problems w/o relying solely on your diagnostic software? Supervisor was nice...but that didn't fix the problem.
  • billpdxbillpdx Member Posts: 1
    I am now having the same problem with my enclave. I purchased a 2010 Buick Enclave certified used through a dealer. In August 2015 the air conditioner stopped blowing cold air and the dealer said it was one pound low on refrigerant. And now in February 2016 it stopped blowing cold air again. In August the dealer could not find a leak. So I am now taking it back. I do agree with the rest of the commenters that Buick should issue a recall on this item. The air conditioner should not be this big of a problem. I have had several big problems now beginning with the power steering going out. Now this huge expense with the air conditioning I don't know if I will ever buy a Buick again.
  • sonoflawsonoflaw Member Posts: 1
    I just recently took my vehicle in to have recalls done on it at the dealership. I came out and they gave me a long list of repairs recommended on the vehicle. Coming to a whopping total of over $4000. One of which was the A/C compressor and Radiator. They advised me that my A/C would stop working if I didn't replace it and within a few day's low and behold my A/C is no longer working. The total cost of this is about $1200 just for the A/C. We are talking about a 2011 Buick Enclave here. My 2009 Hyundai Sonata hasn't had near the problems this vehicle is giving me. I had a Buick years ago and always spoke highly of the brand. However, due to the issues I am having with this vehicle I am starting to regret my choice. In addition from what I've seen the people that have this repair done are seeing the problem happening again in just a couple of years. I would like to get this repaired but the thought of having to do it again and again is disheartening.
  • rwilliams7rwilliams7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Buick Enclave. Within the first week of owning the car, my power steering froze up and the power steering pump had to be replaced. The AC never ran as well as I thought it should, but I figured that it was just the way it was. My mother recently purchased her own Buick Enclave and her AC was much stronger and cooler than mine ever was (although she says that her heat does not work well). Recently my AC stopped working altogether. I took it in yesterday, along with a tire sensor that is also out ($180), only to learn that there is a hole in a coil that is costing me $1100 to replace. This vehicle is the perfect fit for my family, but I have been frustrated by the problems. My daughter is about to turn 16 and likes the Encore, but given all the issues, I am not sure I can justify getting her an Encore and worry about what other problems I may face with this vehicle.
  • chrisfp62chrisfp62 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2014 Buick Enclave (23,000 mi) with the identical AC problems that everyone has experienced in this thread. I have read every post and GM response and it is clear that it is a problem in the evaporator coil that GM has been aware of for eight years and done nothing about.
    I have not taken it back to the dealer as I know that the response will be 'unable to duplicate problem'.
    I feel badly for the GM CUSTOMER CARE reps following the comments on this thread as they have to know that their robotic canned responses are ridiculous.
    I have read more than enough to convince me to trade in my beautiful Enclave and never buy another GM product
  • harley1batmanharley1batman Member Posts: 1
    Well, I just got hit by this same problem on our 2014 Buick Enclave with 20,700 miles in Arizona. Blowing warm air. Called dealer who seems very troubled that I called and not very interested. Said to bring it in Friday between 7-8am and leave, it would take all day. This is our only car?? Were leaving on Sat for vacation? We loved this car, but after reading all these problems, I am now worried we will never fix this. Not sure how to get in touch with GM CUSTOMER CARE, but they are welcome to get in touch with me. Not looking forward to these problems, and we live an hour from dealer each time.
  • lrmet2lrmet2 Member Posts: 12
    My 2011 is doing the same thing. Cracked hose going to the condensor. It slowly leaked out over the course of a year and now system is empty. >$1,000 to replace.
    harley1batman-
    I took mine to dealer with the complaint "Driver's side A/C blows cold, Passenger side and Rear blow 10 degrees warmer". (meat thermometer).
    They checked it out while I waited and determined that it was failure of R side 'temp door actuator' which is located under dash. They ordered part and installed it three days later.
    So far, blowing just like new. Hope your prob is that simple.
  • jthughesjthughes Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2016
    We have a 2012 Buick Enclave. We received this car from my wife's Father when he passed away. We first took possession last summer and went on our annual summer family vacation - about 1/2 way through our southern (aka boiling hot) trip, the A/C failed completely and required an A/C evaporator core replacement which was replaced under warranty (approx 38K miles on the vehicle). My wife's Father was a senior citizen an baby'd this car as it was his dream car so my wife has an emotional attachment to the vehicle and relies upon it to carpool to work. Almost 1 year later (last week), my family is beginning this years summer vacation (now approx 55K miles on car).. it is 95 degrees outside with a 103 heat index... 1/2 hour into our trip the A/C starts blowing unbearably hot air ... local repair shop says "adding freon will do nothing as something is seriously wrong with A/C system". Also getting knocking noises from the A/C compressor.

Had to complete our trip during the biggest heat wave in memory with no A/C !!! - basically ruined out vacation (sitting in 100 degree heat in a vehicle all week). Very dissapointed to read this is a common problem with these GM cars and no recalls or TSB's. I have a dealer appointment tomorrow. Hoping to avoid any stonewalling from GM on covering the repair under warranty, 2nd evaporator core failure in less than a year! Not a happy customer - I cannot foresee buying another GM product if they do not cover the repairs (just too expensive if it fails again and vehicle obviously has some issues that GM is not owning up to). I have 3 other (Japanese) cars with between 125k & 200k miles on each and not one issue like this (other than regular maintenance). One more problem that is the rear shocks/struts bounce all over the road at the slightest bump (very unsafe) ... thought it was perhaps intentional to make the ride more smooth but I noticed 2 other similar year Enclaves doing the same bounce bounce thing down the freeway ... very hard to imagine these were engineered correctly as I have owned many many cars over the years and none with issues like this. I will report back here (and many other forums) on how GM stands behind their product - will gladly give them credit if they step up and take care of what is obviously an ongoing problem. Every manufacturer has issues... if they stand behind their product... GREAT! If not ...it it like getting robbed from someone you trusted.
  • jthughesjthughes Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2016
    Want to provide an update to my recent comment: After experiencing a total A/C system failure during a hot family trip (and having the Evaporator core replaced less than a year ago) I am happy to report General Motors covered 95% of what would have been a $1700 repair bill even though my vehicle was out of warranty by a couple months and couple thousand miles. This time, the problem was NOT the evaporator core but was the A/C Compressor which destructed internally sending metal shavings throughout the system necessitating a replacement of A/C/ compressor and Condenser, etc. My local dealership was quick and efficient in the work and Gm stood behind their product which I commend them on.
    Thank being said, there is obviously something amiss with the A/C systems on this vehicle and I am concerned about a large expense if it goes again next season.
    While I definitely need to give GM credit for covering most of this repair, it is a problem that should not be occurring on a car with this few miles. Now, if i can get them to stand behind the defective bouncing shocks, I will be a happy camper. Thanks GM.
    AC compressor failures are commonly caused by operating the system under-charged. The only thing that makes the refrigerant oil circulate is the speed of refrigerant itself. Essentially, the evaporator core leaking renders the system under charged which slows the circulation of the refrigerant. If that doesn't get corrected right away it starves the compressor for lubrication and then whether the compressor fails or not is a matter of luck. BTW. evaporator core failures are caused by the level of CO2 in the atmosphere. The evaporator sweats when the system is running and the water that is formed on its surface absorbs CO2 from the air creating carbonic acid and that eventually eats through the aluminum core.

It's great for an individual consumer when the manufacturer steps up and extends a warranty, but there is another side of the story that needs to be recognized. Under customer pay repair times the labor that the technician would be paid for repairing the system would be 5.5 hours. (Compressor 1.6 hours, Condenser 2.5 hours, and full evacuation and recharge 1.4 hours). When the job turned into a warranty one that same work now only paid the technician 2.9 hours. (1.2 for the compressor, 1.7 for the condenser, with the evacuation and recharge included in the repair time) Isn't it something how equal pay for equal work doesn't apply here? Remember this trade secret every time that you see the shortage of qualified technician's impact a diagnostic routine or some repair efficiency/effectiveness.

Refer back to my posts on Mar 23 and Apr 19. My A/C problem in 2014 Enclave has returned. Rear and right side blowing hot, left side barely cooling. I'll be returning to dealer and will report on this new adventure next week.