Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Mazda
image2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term test of our 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring is almost over, but first we'll have to address a cracked windshield.

Read the full story here

Comments

• oldparnelloldparnell Member Posts: 37
    Whew, that was close - almost an Edmunds long-termer without a cracked windshield.
  • yeachyeach Member Posts: 9
    I got a similar crack 2 weeks into my CX-5 GT ownership last year.
    Costs for a replacement windshield is around $700 Cdn due to the rain sensors. Expensive!
    At the time I read that their was a lack of supply for replacement windshields
    I haven't replace the windshield yet.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I was reading Autow*** magazine and they have similar problems with a lot of long term cars with windshield stone chips. Edmunds' seeming bad luck is not uncommon given the total miles their fleet accumulates, there would probably be at least 4 a year (average of 1 every 100K miles of driving seems reasonable estimate)
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    The curse is back. It had just gone dormant for a short while.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    In NYS we all have zero-deductible glass coverage. I can't imagine living in a state with the most cars and the worst traffic and no glass coverage. That's nuts.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    I find that keeping Rain-X on my windshield helps tremendously with reducing rock issues. Before Rain-X, I got rock chips, after Rain-X, I haven't gotten rock chips. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it does at the least make the windshield seem a lot slicker.
  • mandarintenmandarinten Member Posts: 1
    this happened to my CX5 too. The chip was so tiny I didnt even see it till I washed my car. Its a 12 inch long straight crack now. Is Mazda going to say anything about this? Current mileage 30k
  • johnjohn15johnjohn15 Member Posts: 1
    I think it should be a quality issue. We are talking about this issue in Taiwan due to there are already 80 owners in FB CX-5 Club had replaced the windshield within 2 years. MAZDA only sold around 4,000 CX-5 in Taiwan till now, the percentage is pretty high. There should be other owners encountered this issue but they don't join the club. Now we are working on negotiate with Mazda Taiwan, but they just released an official announcement that the windshield pass the test, and nothing more. Orz
  • koren55tkoren55t Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Our 2014 CX5's windshield cracked too. And we're having a heck of a time getting it replaced. Since we have a fully loaded car with the Rain Sensor, Smart Brakes, etc., in addition to replacing your windshield, your car has to be recalibrated by the Dealer. We brought our car to Safelite for replacement. They told us the windshield was back ordered. Then hey got one, and we dropped off our car. They soon contacted us saying the had the wrong windshield! I spoke with the owner, it was then he told me about the recalibration bit. He said I could either go fiercely through the Dealer - the Dealer would replace the windshield and do the calibration, or he could do the windshield, and then bring the car to the dealer for me. Since I prefer working with local businesses, I asked that he do it all. But it would have to wait until I returned from my vacation. He told me fine. However, when I went back to him, he reneged on his original offer, I would now have to go to both places to get it fixed. You can guess what I said. I'm still trying to make arrangements months later because I want to ensure that local business does not work on my car at all. To sum it up: from what I've been reading, it appears to be a design flaw that causes these windshields to break easily, and to get these Smart Windshields fixed, I guess it's going to be the cost of having them "SMART".
  • sdcalialisdcaliali Member Posts: 1
    I agree that this must be a quality issue. I have a 2014 CX-5 GT and currently have 5 rock chips, 3 of which have been filled. In all my years of driving SoCal freeways, I have never had so many chips. I realize that more traffic means a higher probability of something flying up and hitting the windshield, but 5 in a 2 year span is a bit ridiculous! Just waiting for that next chip that causes the crack...