Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

A Pretty Penny for Fancy Glass - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Jeep
imageA Pretty Penny for Fancy Glass - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

How much does it cost to replace the windshield on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited? More than you may think.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Never understood windshield wiper de-icers. If there is enough ice on the windshield for the wipers to stick then after they're thawed and freed with the help of the de-icer what are they going to do? The rest of the windshield is still covered in ice. A powerful defroster system is better.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Wouldn't most people make an insurance claim? If the car is new enough, I don't think they put up much of a fight to get OEM glass.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,207
    schen72 said:

Wouldn't most people make an insurance claim? If the car is new enough, I don't think they put up much of a fight to get OEM glass.

Getting your windshield replaced through insurance is not fun, anymore. They solicit bids and it's a race to the bottom. Glass is not like body panels. You can't insist on OEM, unless you are willing to pay more. They come back with 3 quotes, and you've never heard of any of them. Even though most people enjoy having the glass installer come to your house, I'd like to at least know their physical location, in case I have a problem. Not with these quotes. 800#s and no addresses.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    With Geico, you call them and they come out to your house the next day if you want and change it in the driveway. I forget the cost, but it's not much. If there's just a chip or small crack they come out and repair it for free. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    kyfdx said:

schen72 said:

Getting your windshield replaced through insurance is not fun, anymore. They solicit bids and it's a race to the bottom. Glass is not like body panels. You can't insist on OEM, unless you are willing to pay more. They come back with 3 quotes, and you've never heard of any of them. Even though most people enjoy having the glass installer come to your house, I'd like to at least know their physical location, in case I have a problem. Not with these quotes. 800#s and no addresses.
    My insurance company uses Safelite and they come to your house or your office. If you're okay with a repair, it's free. If you want a replacement, I would only pay $100 deductible. The last time I had my windshield replaced, it was not a hassle at all to get OEM glass.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Why do you need wiper deicer elements in SoCal? They made sense on my Subaru in Chicago, but are they worth it for occasional use on a trip to the ski slopes?
  • Options
    prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    Put a drop of Krazy Glue on the center and it likely won't spread.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,207
    schen72 said:

kyfdx said:

schen72 said:

My insurance company uses Safelite and they come to your house or your office. If you're okay with a repair, it's free. If you want a replacement, I would only pay $100 deductible. The last time I had my windshield replaced, it was not a hassle at all to get OEM glass.
    Safelite is great.. My insurance (the biggest one) takes bids, and Safelite is never in the mix. Though, that's who I usually end up using, anyway.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    For this article I understand that the Cherokee might have some options like the deicer elements that drive up the replacement cost but you're comparing a price through your dealer parts system to a company (Safelite) that specializes in auto glass. With the mark-ups I've seen at some dealer part and service departments I'd be curious to see what Safelite quotes for the factory glass before complaining too bitterly about the price difference.

Also on a related tangent, for the F-150 did Safelite actually use factory replacement glass or an "equivalent", better quality aftermarket glass on that repair? I know the article said factory replacement and used Ford's branding but in aftermarket glass you can often find the super cheap, thin glass and better quality, sometimes equivalent or better aftermarket glass that is as good or better than factory if you're willing to pay more.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    "Getting your windshield replaced through insurance is not fun, anymore. They solicit bids and it's a race to the bottom."

I guess that might vary by states depending on their laws and things but with my insurance company I just call them and tell them what shop I want to use and they set it all up with the one I like.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    $759 is a lot, but weren't the replacements on the Japanese SUVs that Edmunds had in the past much more? I think the FJ Cruiser was something like $1100.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

$759 is a lot, but weren't the replacements on the Japanese SUVs that Edmunds had in the past much more? I think the FJ Cruiser was something like $1100.

The FJ is higher than average (though I have heard some astronomical quotes), but what's worse is how often you can get cracks because of the upright windshield.

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited July 2015
    $468 through safelite online quote system here in indianapolis for a 2014 jeep cherokee. includes the little jeep at the bottom and wiper de-icer.

plus tax and disposal.
  • Options
    sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    So basically the point of the article was to find something to complain about. Welcome to the new America.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Nothing on the Jeep in almost a month. Wonder if it will mysteriously disappear like the Dodge Dart.