Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    "Why do some bikers have their handle bars way high?" My friend's reply. "It's natural for them as it is a position they often assume when faced by a LEO."
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    xwesx - Driving mode: http://androidwidgetcenter.com/android-tips/how-to-enable-driving-mode-on-samsung-galaxy/

fordgirl15 - Place your phone out of reach. My wife leaves her phone in her purse & places that on the back seat. If anyone calls, the in-car Bluetooth lets her answer. Texts, Twitter & Facebook updates, etc. all wait until she's at her destination.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • fordgirl15fordgirl15 Member Posts: 90
    Ya that would be a good idea! Or else turn my phone off. I've decided that in the ambulance I'll turn it off so I'm not distracted by it and so then I can be with my partner instead of the phone. Easier said than done.....
    Thanks for the advice!:-)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited July 2015
    Curious. The thread will not post my comments.... ?

Ah, got it to work. I had to edit out the link from the block quote.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    fushigi said:

xwesx - Driving mode

Cool. See? These tech guys aren't complete numbskulls after all! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    boo to fordgirl for texting while driving, but bravo to her for admitting it and trying to do something about it . shutting off phone is a great way to do it. try it, you'll like it. paying attention to driving is underrated nowadays - it may be fun to discover/rediscover it!

I understand that more accidents are caused by texting drivers than drunk drivers, by a huge factor. Unfortunately you will be picking up plenty of texting drivers in your ambulance, as well as their innocent victims. Locally the retired fire chief was killed at his mailbox by a texting kid. All handheld cellphone use is illegal in NH now. Sad for the fatality, but hooray for the no-handheld-cellphone-use law that resulted soon afterwards.

Handheld cellphone use by a driver needs to be illegal nationally especially due those many drivers who are soooooo addicted to texting while driving.
    I see it constantly, even here in NH where it's illegal: People still do it wherever they think they can get away with it, such as rolling/braking up to a red light. or when they are in a tall SUV, so they think nobody can see their eyes looking down at their phone.
    Amen. And yes I am afraid that will happen alot. Just heard that a guy I was in DE with just lost his sister yesterday. A 23 year old texting... That definitely opened my eyes to it......
    Most, if not all, states/municipalities have distracted driving laws already. As such we don't need laws to address handheld device use. What we need is enforcement of laws already on the books.

Related example: Remember back in the "old days" when the family would take a driving vacation & you'd play a game spotting oddball cars? My wife & I do a variant on it nowadays: spot the expired plates. Almost every time we're out driving together we spot one or more cars with expired plates, sometimes expired by over a year. Why has there been no enforcement on those folks?

With all these cities & states having budget issues you'd think they'd go after the easy money.
    Renewing the tabs/plates every other year would diminish the expired plate rate by 50%.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited July 2015
    They actually have patrol car mounted LP scanners! A perp stop can happen as fast as a beep (expired) goes off.

Actual (expiring) plates or stickers are going the way of the 8 track cassette. It also has the capability of turning cheap tickets into WAY more EXPENSIVE propositions.
    Ouch! Wonder how much more expensive they will be? Speeding tickets are not cheap either. Any one know how much a expired plate costs??
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    $136 in Washington State. $228 if they've been expired over 2 months.

The $136 is about what a speeding ticket for five over here is. Expired plate might be more than tht here than.....
    Speaking of expirations, check your driver's license expiration and put a reminder on your calendar for 60 or 90 days beforehand to give you plenty of time to renew before that expires. Ditto your passport if you have one, though I'd do 6 months as they can take several weeks.

Some states, if not all, will send out reminders before DLs expire but I'd rather rely on myself to know to renew.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2015
    andres3 said:

The ultimate inconsiderate driver

"A Florida man is in jail after shooting dead another man in front of his family during a road rage incident.

"Robert Doyle, 51, faces second-degree murder charges after shooting Condelario Gonzalez, 44, five times during an 'aggressive driving incident' in Beverly Hills, Citrus County Sheriff's deputies said.

"Doyle was in front of his home with his wife at about 10pm on Thursday when he fired shots at Gonzalez before holding Gonzalez's wife, eight-year-old daughter and seven-year-old grandson until deputies arrived, investigators said."

A little less attitude of "the road is my highway and my right to drive as fast as I want the way that I want" and a little more courtesy and following the speed limits will help.

How you turn a 2nd degree murder into a case about following the speed limit is beyond me!!!!

I realize you are trying to hold onto your false sense of world view where speed kills and people that have repeatedly proven that assertion 100% false must be wrong, but unless you have a story outside of your link, I saw no reference to speeding, speed limits, or anything speed related for that matter in the write-up.

I haven't watched the videos, but I did read what was written. Perhaps this was a case of someone going too slow below the speed limit, and maybe going faster would help avoid road rage.
    Yup. We agree. It would be beyond you. ("... case about following the speed limit is beyond me!!!!")

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

The ultimate inconsiderate driver

"A Florida man is in jail after shooting dead another man in front of his family during a road rage incident.

"Robert Doyle, 51, faces second-degree murder charges after shooting Condelario Gonzalez, 44, five times during an 'aggressive driving incident' in Beverly Hills, Citrus County Sheriff's deputies said.

"Doyle was in front of his home with his wife at about 10pm on Thursday when he fired shots at Gonzalez before holding Gonzalez's wife, eight-year-old daughter and seven-year-old grandson until deputies arrived, investigators said."

A little less attitude of "the road is my highway and my right to drive as fast as I want the way that I want" and a little more courtesy and following the speed limits will help.

How you turn a 2nd degree murder into a case about following the speed limit is beyond me!!!!

I realize you are trying to hold onto your false sense of world view where speed kills and people that have repeatedly proven that assertion 100% false must be wrong, but unless you have a story outside of your link, I saw no reference to speeding, speed limits, or anything speed related for that matter in the write-up.

I haven't watched the videos, but I did read what was written. Perhaps this was a case of someone going too slow below the speed limit, and maybe going faster would help avoid road rage.
    Yup. We agree. It would be beyond you. ("... case about following the speed limit is beyond me!!!!")

Since I am a man of logic, beyond the realm or logic and reality as well.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Host,

Why is this topic not going to the top of the lists, as ALL OTHER topics do?

I have to look at page 4 now to see this...

slorenzen said:

Host,

But you are OK with having to press "GO" after selecting the topic?

euphonium said:

slorenzen said:

Host,

But you are OK with having to press "GO" after selecting the topic?

??

I don't know what you mean, sorry.

All I'm saying is, I follow several different topics on this site. When someone posts to that topic, it moves to the 1st in queue...all of them...except THIS one.

The only way I can see if a new post is there is to scroll to page 4 now.

Seems weird, that's all.
    My point is why after selecting the topic, you have to press "GO"? Usually after pressing on the topic, it automatically goes to that subject. (W/O having to press GO)
    slorenzen said:

When someone posts to that topic, it moves to the 1st in queue...all of them...except THIS one.

Yeah, and it is behaving like this for months now. I wonder if it is just one of those oddball rogues that defies all programming... ? ;)
    euphonium said:

My point is why after selecting the topic, you have to press "GO"? Usually after pressing on the topic, it automatically goes to that subject. (W/O having to press GO)

You completely threw me for a loop on this one, too. But, now I see that if you actually BROWSE for a subject, there is a large, blue "Go!" button to effect your selections. I don't think I've ever used that.... ! :D
    My mom and I were in Rochester (not Rochester, NY!) And we were just getting on to hwy 14 and there had been a truck and a Ford pickup that had just went past before I merged on. I looked in my side mirror and no one was there- until I just ready to move over and this pick-up pulling a trailer was just about in my back bumper. He had ALL the room in the world to move over. I told mom he was probably trying to stay with the truck. What do you do in a situation like that? If we had hit while I was merging on, who would have ben at fault??
    That's completely off the topic of which has been being discussed the last while!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    well, you are certainly in the right topic. ha.
    Anyway, while his behavior was inconsiderate, you would have been at fault since, as the person merging onto the highway, you have to yield to those already on the highway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

LOL on the topic thing!:-) what would have been the best way to handle it? Since he was on my bumper? He wasn't there one minute and then the next minute- "where did HE come from"????
    edited August 2015
    I would just continue down the merge ramp and follow the lane to merge in front of him. Once he's behind you, he's behind you, and preventing contact becomes his responsibility even if there were only six inches between you when you merged.

On the other hand, if his vehicle was basically alongside you and he was accelerating, then just let off of your accelerator and slip in behind. It's a pretty simple maneuver either way.
    --------------

Haha; this reminds me of a scenario that happened on Wednesday morning when I was merging onto my local highway. There was a Subaru Legacy wagon (old late 90s one, the stereotypical slow Subaru) going probably about 50-55 in the right lane on the highway. He was a little ways ahead of me, so I figured I would just merge in behind him. Well, this first-gen (~98-02) Durango, which was driving along behind him, decides that I was NOT going to merge between them, and he rides up on the Subie's rear (about five feet off his rear).

At this, point, I would either have to hit the brakes to drop behind, or just gun it. So, I just gunned it (I'm not a fan of hitting the brakes on the highway), slipped in ahead of the Subie, who then slammed on his brakes (didn't need to, but typical reaction from the genre) which was followed by the Durango driver swerving onto the shoulder to avoid rear-ending the Subaru.

Instant. Karma. :p
    Well he was staying the same speed. But haha for him cause he got stuck behind me!
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    As a 3x volvo owner, the lifetime warranty on dealer-installed replacement parts is nice and would make me more likely to buy a 2015 volvo. with a 1996 volvo, an idle-air-injection pump failed at 53k just outside the matching/emission warranty, which was 50k at the time. a few weeks after i paid for the repair/replacement, dealer called and said the factory insisted on paying because it was just outside warranty and would be sending me a check to pay for the part, a few hundred $ . pretty sure i still paid the labor rate, but either way it left me with yet another very positive opinion about Volvos.

fordgirl i'm not sure what you mean about the semi drivers . I've driven about 1.5 million miles, mostly on interstates/big-roads/highways and have observed they are crazy/inconsiderate drivers at a rate maybe 1/1000 compared to car drivers. For every 1 crazy/inconsiderate bigrig driver, I've seen 1000 crazy/inconsiderate car drivers. The rate might be even more. like 1:10000 rather than 1:1000. One reason is that cops give no mercy to commercial drivers of any kind. Semi drivers and other commercial drivers are held to a much more stringent standard. For example, a bigrig driver bagged in his private non-bigrig vehicle at 0.05 alcohol level has provided prima-facie evidence that he is guilty of DUI, even though the limit for others is 0.08, and even though he wasn't driving bigrig at the time.
    also fordgirl, the question about when you were merging and truck towing trailer appeared in your blindspot, that was on you. it is uneasonable to expect any bigrig or any truck towing anything to change lanes or slow down to allow a merge. if they can do it safely/reasonably/without-losing-speed-uphill, they may well do it, but always assume they will not or cannot. if you can't punch it to get way ahead of the highway bigrig, decelerate and tuck in behind the bigrig. same is true for all highway traffic you are merging with, but bigrig drivers have considerations way beyond what you would imagine unless you have a bigrig license or had Isaac Newton as your driving instructor (I did.). it figures that the truck stayed at the same speed when you merged - the driver was driving consistently, smoothly, and fine. if he had to brake *whatsoever* due to you 'cutting him off', then you needlessly put your life in danger due to the unavoidable Newtonian physics of a 50,000 lb vehicle and the unavoidable limits of technology/brake-reliability.

as for bigrig drivers "enjoying" holding up cars, that's only true when the cars are being driven by obviously inconsiderate ^#@$*. Been there done that! Decades ago, 3 bigrigs blocked me in for 50 miles on the NY thruway, blocking me from passing or taking exits, while allowing other cars to pass or exit. Their skill/cooperation level was impressive - they did it with ease. I deserved it!

fushigi, apparently the 'distracted driving' laws are totally insufficient for cops to detain/cite texters or other handheld device users. the new laws allows cops to detain anyone reasonably suspect of texting, even if the cops don't see the phone first. the texting behavior is *obvious* even without seeing the phone. turns out plenty texters are also driving while impaired. hey, also, that "spot the expired plates" game sounds pretty cool! A buddy at work has been driving on expired plates for a couple years, so far. In california you don't need plates at all, you can drive on the dealer-advertising-plates for years if you do it right. also you don't need to buy insurance in california, as long as you put up an $80k escrow bond with the state to cover your risk. The rich folks in Cali never need to register or insure their $100k cars, if they just pony up for new cars and the escrow bond.

speaking of games, i'm thinking of establishing a pool on when mine & Andres3's next traffic citation will happen. everyone picks a date in the next year, and whoever is closest without going over, wins half of the money. separate pool for me and A3. detention/written-warning wouldn't count - only citations.
    then if me and A3 go an entire year without a citation, all the money goes to charity.

Love your thoughts, elias. Learned a few new things. I probably learned them in drivers ed but haven't quite remembered them. When I merged into my lane the guy had plenty of room to move into the next lane. I don't know how many of you drive on interstate 80 but speed limit is 70 mph. Is there a reason why alot of people drive closer to 80 than 70? Saw a number of state patrol and these people are cruising round the patrol at 80. Are the cops gonna be getting the guys tht are going faster or slower than everyone else?
    "When I merged into my lane...." Actually you tried to or merged into his lane. When entering a highway, thou shalt yield to vehicles already there.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just a gentle rant...heh EVERY year when it's arrival week here at Penn State, we get an influx of a lot of "new to the area" vehicles and you have to have your head on a swivel. Left turns from two lanes away to the right, all sorts of fun stuff. I KNOW you're lost, but that doesn't mean you should throw SANE driving out the window does it? If you needed to be in that left turn lane, it will be there the next time after you go around the block. It might even turn into a right turn if you'd go down the road, make a left and come back the other way. What a concept!! :@
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited August 2015
    So what happened to the notion that the GPS devices are supposed to be more precise ? :D The attitude has never been I have the right of way because I'm lost., which I take it , in in your neck of the woods, seems to have degenerated to be.
    PF_Flyer said:

Just a gentle rant...heh EVERY year when it's arrival week here at Penn State, we get an influx of a lot of "new to the area" vehicles and you have to have your head on a swivel. Left turns from two lanes away to the right, all sorts of fun stuff. I KNOW you're lost, but that doesn't mean you should throw SANE driving out the window does it? If you needed to be in that left turn lane, it will be there the next time after you go around the block. It might even turn into a right turn if you'd go down the road, make a left and come back the other way. What a concept!! :@

Sounds like every day driving in Seattle.

Would you agree, Fin?

:p
    The reason most people tend to drive around 80 rather than 70 in your area is that people tend to drive at a safe and reasonable speed that is comfortable to them, regardless of what the two black numbers on an aluminum sign read. This is known as the 85th percentile, a figure all competent traffic engineers agree is the best way to set speed limits properly, so that they are respected and observed by the majority of drivers. Raising or lowering the speed limit does little to change the actual speeds driven by the actual drivers on that road.

In the US speed limits are set low enough to make it easy to generate revenue via ill gotten gains, rather than setting them at the safest and most efficient possible number.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    The CHP showed up at trial; of course they did, it was a maximum speed violation, the easiest of them all to enforce. I plea bargained with the officer down 10 MPH so that the fine was $205 instead of $367. Apparently CA charges the fine based on how many increments of 5 MPH you are over the limit, up to a limit of $367 maximum, unless you go 100 or more which starts a new rate and possibly a different vehicle code.

That was last year's ticket; no tickets so far in 2015; though I was ineligible for traffic school since I went within the last 18 months.
    Oh interesting. I'm sure I have been told that but couldn't remember! That's probably why the patrol were sitting there instead of chasing the fast dudes down. I've been a pretty high speeder myself on just our country two lane roads. But that does makes sense cause you will have some fast guys out there.
    Here in Iowa I had a officer tell me tht anything I think it was 15+ the price went up $5 a mile. So what I have done if I had been caught while going the speed I was I would have ben looking at $327 plus high risk insurance for three years.
    I'd be 1,000 times more concerned with all the drivers texting, talking, or doing some other distracting activity while driving than the occasional "fast guy" that shoots by. Also of chief concern, drivers that can't merge properly, and drive'rs that impede the passing/fast/left lane needlessly.
    drive'rs that impede the passing/fast/left lane needlessly. Remember the vehicle in the far left lane traveling at the speed limit is not impeding anybody driving within the limits of the speed limit law. No one is obligated to "get out of my way" to any speeder for when you do, you aid and abet his transgression.
    euphonium said:

drive'rs that impede the passing/fast/left lane needlessly. Remember the vehicle in the far left lane traveling at the speed limit is not impeding anybody driving within the limits of the speed limit law. No one is obligated to "get out of my way" to any speeder for when you do, you aid and abet his transgression.

You seem to have failed English in Elementary School. Let me Help You to Understand our language.

In other States signage may vary, but in CA the highways are littered with "Slower Traffic Keep Right" Black and White Signs. They are black and white for a reason, as that means it is law, and not advisory as Yellow and black signs would indicate.

If you look in your rear-view mirror and someone behind you is gaining on you and catching up to you, then by definition they are "Faster" and you are "Slower!" That means you must yield to the faster traffic by moving right, since you are slower, and they are faster. This is all that is required, and is not subject to interpretation or looking at one's speedometer, as all that matters is relative speed to one another.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.100

Just move over. Nothing more should need to be said.
    You are correct when assuming the posted black & white speed limit is to be disregarded. However, the posted limit is the limit. When the limit is 55 - that's the limit and that's your limit. Nothing more should need to be said.
    You know if you get stopped doing 10-15 over what they have posted what are you gonna tell the officer? Here in Iowa with Minnesota being a neighboring state we have alot of Minnesota drivers in Iowa. Iowa isn't the only state to complain- Illinois and Wisconsin also do. But the reason we three states complain about the Minnesota drivers is cause they are the ones who are in hurry. They are pushing up on your tail. And they are normally the ones tht are sitting beside the road with blue and red Christmas tree lights behind them. We have a joke I guess you could say that the reason Minnesota drivers drive so fast out of their state but just putter along in their state is cause the law enforcement is so strict there and they have to have some fun in a different state. And Minnesota does really clamp down on the laws there. Forgive me if any of you are from Minnesota but this is just what we as Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin drivers have observed!
    By the way, the Minnesota drivers complain about us Iowa drivers too. So maybe we are even??!!:-)
    euphonium said:

You are correct when assuming the posted black & white speed limit is to be disregarded. However, the posted limit is the limit. When the limit is 55 - that's the limit and that's your limit. Nothing more should need to be said.

How can you be so sure your going the limit; when is the last time you had your speedometer calibrated?

The speed limit is indeed the speed limit, but slower traffic shall still keep right to faster traffic. Two wrongs don't make a right; remember that from elementary school myself.

There is more to be learned than elementary school, but we're happy you made it that far anyway. Good job.
  • danfrommdanfromm Member Posts: 21
    andres3 said:

How can you be so sure your going the limit; when is the last time you had your speedometer calibrated?

GPS

Sometimes the GPS isn't as accurate as we think!