Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Turn signal flashing fast

lhumelhume Member Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Pontiac
So here is the deal: Driver side turn signal flashes quickly but no bulb is blown, fuse shouldn't be blown because the circuit still works and I haven't checked the relay. I can't seem to find a Haynes manual for this car or even a wiring schematic for the turn signals. What I would like to know is does anyone have any ideas of what could be going wrong or a schematic for the turn signal.

Also I already cleaned the multi-functioning switch just last year I believe.

Thanks, Liam.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2015
    For free wiring diagrams, try bbbind.com.
  • lhumelhume Member Posts: 2
    Awesome thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd pull the bulbs that are flashing rapidly and make sure the sockets are not corroded and the connectors are secure and clean. Sounds like a bad ground somewhere.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747

I'd pull the bulbs that are flashing rapidly and make sure the sockets are not corroded and the connectors are secure and clean. Sounds like a bad ground somewhere.

Bad ground. Quite possible and the right way to prove it is to first measure the current that is going to the different lamp assemblies. The one with current lower than the rest would be the one experiencing a circuit issue. From there voltage drop test techniques would prove whether the issue was on the power or the ground side and then finally the exact location of the problem.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited August 2015
    lhume said:

So here is the deal: Driver side turn signal flashes quickly but no bulb is blown, fuse shouldn't be blown because the circuit still works and I haven't checked the relay. I can't seem to find a Haynes manual for this car or even a wiring schematic for the turn signals. What I would like to know is does anyone have any ideas of what could be going wrong or a schematic for the turn signal.

Also I already cleaned the multi-functioning switch just last year I believe.

Thanks, Liam.

As am empirical test, check one side and then the other for both the number of bulbs flashing on front or back AND for side marker bulbs that are burned out that flash with the turn signals. Either do the switch for the good side and carefully observe--best done under low light. Then flip to the left side.

Another way is to turn on the 4-way flashers.

You can substitute known good bulbs for the ones of the side that are giving trouble or
    check them with an ohmmeter.

IIRC, my 03 H body had corrosion on the contact wires one the bulb.
    I had to reach up past the air cover under the front of the car by
    pulling it away after removing several of the plastic pins that hold
    the air control in place. I could reach the socket for the front
    parking/turn light and then pull it down to get to the bulb.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,