Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vehicle competent coast to coast...

3dogss3dogss Member Posts: 6
edited August 2015 in General
Will be traveling from East Coast to West Coast.  Will be traveling with 6 dogs. 1 is 35 lbs & the other 5 under 10 lbs & will be in 3 kennels.  I do not want SUV.  Currently own a Prius & has the room but lacking in power to get over Mountain ranges.  So I need power, cargo space, cruise control, ac/heat, cd player ( quality not an issue) & price would prefer under $20,000 but will go as high ad $25,000.  Will consider used.  Researching Honda Fit, Mazda 3 Hatchback. Ford Focus Hatchback, Honda Cross tour, Honda HR-V, Hyundai Elantra GT. Subaru Cross trek ( we own B9 * love it) or Impreza, & Mini Cooper Countryman.

I do not understand engines & horse power. Those mountain ranges are killer.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No interest in a minivan?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm glad it's you and not me making that trip!

I would cross the Mini off your list for repliability reasons.

Seriously, all of the cars on that list seem too small for what you will be doing. You do look like a candidate for a mini van. With your budget, a good used one.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    When I moved to Colorado from California in 1993, I was driving a Nissan Sentra with 110HP - and no cruise control.

I don't seem to recall any problems with the mountains if I kept my foot in it. Gas mileage took a dive, but I sort of expected that.

What route do you plan to take?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• 3dogss3dogss Member Posts: 6
    No Minivan. My Prius has plenty of space with seats folded down. I currently have 2 crates(4 dog), 2 adults & 1 child that ride in the Prius with no issue. I might consider SUV but it would be a Compact one. I am a bit stingy with gas. Prius I get 50+ mpg & have hit as high as 61 mpg. So going to a vehicle that get's 22-26 mpg is not going to sit well with me. Anyway, will cross Mini off list. From Coastal NC I have to cross the Appalachian Mountain in NC. But 40 straight to Oklahoma City & then start cutting up North through Kansas, Nebraska, S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho & into Washington state. Trying toavoid Colorado, & Utah with that path.
    Well, given all of that, I have no suggestions for you. I was going to suggest something like a nice used Honda CRV or maybe a Toyota RAV-4 but you won't get the gas mileage you want.

Your Prius has you spoiled in that regard.

I don't know why it wouldn't do the job? Just be slow going in a few places.
    edited August 2015
    From skimming owner's reports around the net, it shouldn't really be any slower, especially if you have a Gen 3 Prius. You might be running on gas only (and thus slower) if you wind up going up an especially long pass that tops out at 12,000 feet or so, but there's not too many of those around. Just floor it and go.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    stever said:

From skimming owner's reports around the net, it shouldn't really be any slower, especially if you have a Gen 3 Prius. You might be running on gas only (and thus slower) if you wind up going up an especially long pass that tops out at 12,000 feet or so, but there's not too many of those around. Just floor it and go.

If the OP plans on taking I-80 across the continental divide in Wyoming, I don't think there are any passes nearly that high. IIRC, Vail Pass in CO on I-70 tops out at 10,xxx feet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Been doing more research & have found that my Prius has maximum cargo space of 39.6. The vehicles I am looking at all have more than that. Mazda 3 seems to get the best consumer ratings as well as an "A" from Edmunds Review & has Maximum cargo at 47.1. Volkswagen Golf Sports wagon is coming out & that has a max cargo of 66.7, while their Golf Hatchback has 46.0- not sure about VW because I have read there are a great deal of mechanical issues but those loyal to VW love them. I want reliability, so VW is a ????? Subaru Crosstrek has max cargo of 51.9 & the Impreza 52.4. We have a B9 with close to 180,000 miles & has been a great SUV until now & in the shop. Seems that consumers aren't as happy with the Subaru as the Mzda fans. Never had a Mazda, only Toyota, Subaru & Saturn. I could go with a Toyota Rav4 & plenty of space of 73.4. I am not opposed to a Compact SUV.

Another reason I don't want to drive the Prius across the country are the seats. They are horrible on long trips. Took a 21 hour drive 1 way to Oklahoma & could hardly walk. After coming home another 21 hours a day later I was at the Chiro getting my back fixed. Fine for around town but longer than 6 hours & one feels like a pretzel. I want good seats. I am 5'9", my poor husband is 6'6" poor thing drives with his knees.
    If you go the used route, maybe check out a Honda Element. It's a huge favorite with dog owners.

Seats are tough and it's hard to get a feel for how well they're going to fit on a road trip just from a short test drive.
    I really like the Honda Element. It was on our short list 9 years ago when car shopping with our infant. Believe me frustrations abound with rear facing car seats, a husband 6'6" & me 5'9". Hardly a vehicle passed. Subaru won out solely due to the fact that it had 5 seat capabilities if needed in a pinch. Otherwise the Element would have been our choice.
    edited August 2015
    Only real problem with the Element is that it's an orphan now. Parts should be easy for another decade, but resale may be an issue if you got one and didn't like it. Then again, it could be a buyer's market for one (especially for all the dog lovers trying to snap up another one).
    edited August 2015
    All an Element is is an ugly CRV so parts won't be difficult to find. Great dog cars!

I don't get the "rear facing seats" They don't have them!

As far as resale, that won't be a problem. They were never big sellers but the people who wanted one REALLY wanted one. The used market is strong on these.
    edited August 2015
    Rear facing child seats Isell. :)

Car seats can be a pain in most any car, and then add in suicide doors....
    Sorry "rear facing child seats"  for a whole year, no car manufacturer thinks of those things.  It really is "hellish" eating your own knees.  Suicide doors  & child car seats ughhh!.
    So glad to never go through that again.  My husband is off looking now to see if he fits in any of the listed vehicles.