Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Grand Canyon Road Trip Shatters Old Fuel-Eco Records- 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Volkswagen
imageGrand Canyon Road Trip Shatters Old Fuel-Eco Records- 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

The Grand Canyon is one of the most picturesque places in the United States and taking our long-term 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI there was a feast for the eyes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    I'm looking to buy a new GTI - any suggestions? Should I wait for the '16 for the new MIB II? Performance Pack worth it? I'm getting a 4 Dr DSG I know that much, prefer autobahn (Dual zone climate control is nice). Somewhat tempted to wait and save for Golf R but don't know if it's worth the $.
  • Options
    ktgilsdorfktgilsdorf Member Posts: 1
    I'm waiting to get a '16... The Apple CarPlay (as well as better screen resolution) seems worth the wait to me.
  • Options
    dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    What's your average speed to get those mpgs??
  • Options
    fizzump04fizzump04 Member Posts: 6
    @jakek66: A dealer told me that they expect the 2016's to have more options. For example, the plaid seats would be available on every trim, not just the base. Or you could get plaid seats with the moon roof, etc etc, which you can't on a '15. If this turns out to be true then waiting for a '16 might let you build it more exactly the way you want it.
  • Options
    jfa1177jfa1177 Member Posts: 52
    I'd also like more details such as what hypermiling techniques did you use? This is encouraging to know the GTi gets this good of fuel mileage!
  • Options
    tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    45 mph speed limit inside the park -- 65 and 70 on sections of the highway, stuck to all posted limits.
  • Options
    joemama127joemama127 Member Posts: 5
    fizzump04 said:

@jakek66: A dealer told me that they expect the 2016's to have more options. For example, the plaid seats would be available on every trim, not just the base. Or you could get plaid seats with the moon roof, etc etc, which you can't on a '15. If this turns out to be true then waiting for a '16 might let you build it more exactly the way you want it.

Not true, I've actually seen a PDF of the 2016 order sheets, and the new infotainment and assorted driver assists are the only changes..

• Options
    ducky10ducky10 Member Posts: 27
    36 highway mpg is doable with my mark 6 gti if you keep it under 70.
  • Options
    fizzump04fizzump04 Member Posts: 6

Not true, I've actually seen a PDF of the 2016 order sheets, and the new infotainment and assorted driver assists are the only changes..

Well that's unfortunate. Another case of a dealer not knowing what they're talking about or making stuff up.

I dropped by the Mazda dealer the other day and the guy who tried to help me didn't know what the MX-5 was. He didn't clue in until the word "Miata" was spoken.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The great fuel economy of the new turbo 4s from VW makes me wonder why anyone would get the TDI. Yes, you will probably get 5-10 mpg better on average but your fuel savings go up in smoke in maintenance costs. If you keep this car for 100,000 miles all the GTI/Golf gasser will need for maintenance are 10 oil changes, 2 DSG fluid changes, 1 set of spark plugs and 4 air filters. Other than the DSG you can do all of the maintenance yourself. The TDI will need all of those minus the spark plugs but you have to add 5 fuel filter changes (need to access the car's computer for this no DIY), and unknown amounts of DEF. If you go pass 100,000 the TDI needs to have the DPF checked for possible replacement. That's probably over $1,000.00.
  • Options
    plantz_plantz_ Member Posts: 3
    "It won't be my first pick for future long road trips." I would appreciate your elaboration on this comment. Is there a somewhat similar car that you prefer for long road trips? I'm about to replace my 2005 Prius, which replaced a 1995 Ford Contour SE V6 with manual transmission. My major complaint about the Prius is its numb steering. I also miss shifting for myself. Most of my driving is 100+ mile trips on the freeways in Northern California. I'm in my middle 70s and respect my aging body by driving conservatively. But I like a car that feels good, yet isn't tiring on the freeway.