Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

First Service and Fix-Its Cost Us Two Bills - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2015 in Ford
imageFirst Service and Fix-Its Cost Us Two Bills - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

After its road trip to Boise and back, it was time to bring our 2015 Ford F-150 to the dealer for its first service. We also needed to order replacement parts.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Minus the mirror that's a cheap oil change.
  • Options
    benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    Parking brake module, that sounds expensive. I was expecting a parking brake switch attached to the handle for $7.99. New cars vs. Old I guess. Once that warranty is done...
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2015
    "The first service calls for a tire change and oil rotation at 10,000 miles."

Whoa!
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    They also used the wrong oil. The EcoBoost engines are supposed to use 5w30, and the 2.7 supposedly only holds 6 quarts. You should probably have them re-change the oil when you bring it in for the mirror fix.
  • Options
    dgcamero said:

They also used the wrong oil. The EcoBoost engines are supposed to use 5w30, and the 2.7 supposedly only holds 6 quarts. You should probably have them re-change the oil when you bring it in for the mirror fix.

What he said. Take it back with the receipt and the owner's manual and have the redo it.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2015
    Yep, shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to fix the two minor typos on the printout. :D
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    stever said:

Yep, shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to fix the two minor typos on the printout. :D

What about the engine oil?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2015
    After skimming the forums for years, it appears that it's not uncommon for dealers to put the wrong oil in vehicles. In the good old days, every car that came into the shop got filled up from a 55 gallon drum of 10W30 hanging from the garage ceiling, no matter what the owner's manual said.

And unless it's noted (correctly) on the invoice, how would you ever know? Are you going to send away a sample to Blackstone for $25 bucks every time you get your oil changed to verify the weight and the base stock? Most consumers will assume that the dealer surely knows which oil to put in their car and won't question the invoice.

Nowadays there so many options and inconsistencies in the certification/licensing process (compare API and dexos), it's hard for diy'ers to go to Walmart and buy a jug of SuperTech and get the right stuff for your car without studying the owner's manual for 5 minutes. Not every harried dealer tech is going to double-check every car that comes in to insure they are grabbing the right fluid, Nor do I think that the service writer is going to key in the right code every time for every service.

It's easier just to fix the" typos".
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    stever said:

Most consumers will assume that the dealer surely knows which oil to put in their car and won't question the invoice.

I don't assume anything about what a dealership does or doesn't know. Which is why I won't go to a dealer unless I have to.

• Options
    500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99

Sounded expensive to me. My last oil change on a 3.5 ecoboost was $45 after tax. And I thought THAT was expensive.
  • Options
    500rwhp said:

Sounded expensive to me. My last oil change on a 3.5 ecoboost was $45 after tax. And I thought THAT was expensive.
    At Wal-Mart a 5 quart bottle of 5W30 full synthetic is $23.00. The dealer gets it cheaper in bulk but still that's a pretty good price, probably near cost. UNLESS they didn't use synthetic oil, which would not be good because I think the EB engines require synthetic oil.
  • Options
    donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112

500rwhp said:

At Wal-Mart a 5 quart bottle of 5W30 full synthetic is $23.00. The dealer gets it cheaper in bulk but still that's a pretty good price, probably near cost. UNLESS they didn't use synthetic oil, which would not be good because I think the EB engines require synthetic oil.
    EcoBoost engines are fine with synthetic blend. That's what I get at the Ford dealership.