If you loved the 1992 Acura Integra, but had to replace it today, what would be your choice?

cpofancpofan Member Posts: 4
edited August 2015 in Acura
Yes, I have, and have owned, a 1992 Integra now for many years, and it is a terrific small car. It's not our family's main drive any more, but it has a surprising amount of storage space, it's zippy on the highway, the a/c cools it really quickly, and, well, it has just kept going with minimal maintenance and repair needs.

But .... there are rust spots beginning to grow, and the climate control is the old R-12 kind, and with both of our family cars beginning to be on the "old car" order, it's time to start considering other options.

But, it's been so long since we shopped, that I hardly know what is comparable to the Integra. So I am hoping you have some ideas.

Comments

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 199,218
    cpofan said:

    Yes, I have, and have owned, a 1992 Integra now for many years, and it is a terrific small car. It's not our family's main drive any more, but it has a surprising amount of storage space, it's zippy on the highway, the a/c cools it really quickly, and, well, it has just kept going with minimal maintenance and repair needs.

    But .... there are rust spots beginning to grow, and the climate control is the old R-12 kind, and with both of our family cars beginning to be on the "old car" order, it's time to start considering other options.

    But, it's been so long since we shopped, that I hardly know what is comparable to the Integra. So I am hoping you have some ideas.

    Something new? Honda Civic is the obvious choice.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • cpofancpofan Member Posts: 4
    Hmm, not necessarily new, but say in the 2012 to new model year range. I guess we need to drive a Civic. My husband is looking for 6 cylinders. I am also looking at the Crosstour -- yes, it's an oddball and so am I I guess -- because it has both the Accord features and more storage room. But there are so many fewer Crosstours around it seems, than Civics or Accords, I know there might be trouble finding one used.

    Thanks for the suggestion!
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 9,757
    Yep, the Civic Si in particular, either coupe or sedan. Another one I'd look at is the Mazda 3, one with the 2.5 l engine.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 199,218
    texases said:

    Yep, the Civic Si in particular, either coupe or sedan. Another one I'd look at is the Mazda 3, one with the 2.5 l engine.

    Good choice... I'd pick the hatchback model

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • texasestexases Member Posts: 9,757
    cpofan said:

    Hmm, not necessarily new, but say in the 2012 to new model year range. I guess we need to drive a Civic. My husband is looking for 6 cylinders. I am also looking at the Crosstour -- yes, it's an oddball and so am I I guess -- because it has both the Accord features and more storage room. But there are so many fewer Crosstours around it seems, than Civics or Accords, I know there might be trouble finding one used.

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    Oooookay...so you're not looking for anything like the Integra, then. Time for some shopping, Honda has a wide range of cars that could fit your needs, whatever they are.

  • cpofancpofan Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I am thinking the hatchbacks are for us. (We sometimes need to haul trash cans to the road, down a private drive). We have often been pretty shocked at just how well the Integra hatch accommodates big loads.
  • cpofancpofan Member Posts: 4
    True, I guess my husband's criteria here sort of nix my love for the Integra. (Although, I think he is a closet Integra admirer. I am not sure he realizes it is a 4, and, as I said, we haven't looked at cars in a loooong time). I know Hondas are cars I generally like -- I've shuttled between owning Hondas and owning Acuras, all my driving life, so far! IMO the Acuras have build and handling that the Hondas never matched. But not one of Acura's cars in recent years have what the Integra had, that is, the strong features at a price-point I consider reasonable. I just looked at the RLX pricing (because we've had an RL too) but am kind of sticker-shocked at the price, on a used model.

    This may be how recently-divorced folks feel about online dating, I guess. :-)
  • dave_dudedave_dude FloridaMember Posts: 14
    edited January 2017
    I own a 1991 Teg. I recently developed "new" recurring problems that have pushed me into shopping for something else. The main problems are: the wiring is shot - I have voltage under the hood, but no voltage under the dash. I changed the ignition switch and still no voltage. Also, I tore down the old sagging headliner, and discovered my roof is so badly rusted, it's just not worth trying to fix it. I also have other rust issues all over the body. The engine also needs a new water pump (& timing belt). So I decided the old girl was DOA. Upon shopping for something similar, I discovered the Hyundai Tiburon. It's everything the Integra should have been. By the way, the Tiburon is the predecessor to the Genesis, still the same car, but a lot cheaper than the Genesis.
  • dave_dudedave_dude FloridaMember Posts: 14
    How about a Copper one?
Sign In or Register to comment.