Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Towing Questions

2»

Comments

• wwclanwwclan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 ford expe 300HP.... it too had the reg tow pack 6000lbs. I made the dealer upgrade it for same price since he insisted it was HD. They added the HD tranny cooler and changed the gears, but the gears were only changed to 3.55's.. I was thinking they would get better mpg as my wife is the everyday driver. Actual miles is about 15-17, so much for that thought. I was towing a 4,000 lb 26 ft trailer, but just upgraded to a 5300 lbs 30 ft trailer.

It towed the 4k trailer fine at 2000 rps 62 mph in over drive, 10.7 mpg to 11mpg. I turn the over drive off on hills and when it's switching. Now with the 5300, lbs should I go to 3.73? I use weight distribution bars, tow totally dry, and a prodigy brake controller.... the tires on the new trailer are bigger?
  • kaelenbkaelenb Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Sounds like your trailer could have been too balanced if it went nuts over 50mph. I have found towing with an 97 expedition as well as an 06 durango that a good set of 10 ply tires (in my case I love BFG All Terrain) and using a set of firestone coil-rite is of real benefit. When you use the weight distributing hitch you dont have enough weight down on your rear wheels to keep a large load pinned down to the road. If you use the hitch as it is meant to be used, use a good stable tire (at higher psi), and force your rear wheels down to the ground via airbags these short wheelbase people haulers really do an amazing job at towing large loads. I have three kids and am thinking of a fourth. By the time they like to take friends along I would never use a truck again. Due to the low passenger count. I am considering an 03 expedition this time. Thank you for all your great comments on how they are pulling. Shocked to see peak torque at 2500 rpm on the 5.4. I LOVE LOW END TORQUE
    If fuse route fails just keep tracing the wire back until it works (testing with a probe light). It's ignorant of uhaul to say that it is always a fuse. Situations are all different. What if the previous owner jury rigged something? Trace it back till it works. You will likely find that you have a converter from the seperate brake and turn signal lights that will convert them to one for your trailer. It may be defective. Trace it back till you find a wire with the current. Many times trailer wiring for lights plugs into the back side of your rear lights on the vehicle.

Hope it help. So frustrating when you cant find it.
  • dpavey3dpavey3 Member Posts: 1
    I have 06 expedition with HD tow package. Towing capacity of 8600 lbs and hitch weight of 860lbs. I was looking at travel trailers and found the Laredo 302lt which is one with a loft. The dry weight is 6750 lbs and payload rating of 1450 lbs. First and main question is will it tow it and will it be safe. I don't plan on loading the trailer to the max and never with fluids. Most camping will be in home state of indiana. With most trips being less then 50 miles with only very mild hills. There will be a couple trips each year that will be out of state around 250 miles but still only small amount of mild hills- Michigan and illinois. If the first question is a go I know I need a load distributing hitch, sway control, upgraded coolers, good trailer brake controller. What else do I need or need to know? Thank you for your comments especially from those of you who have pulled this size trailer with an expedition!
    I have a 30' Jayco Qwest that I tow with a 2003 1/2 ton suburban, and have towed large loads with and expedition and 2006 Durango as well. I believe that if your tongue weight is 860# you will likely find that is about ten percent of your gross. That seems to be the case most often. I would venture a guess that when you put the loaded trailer on the scale it will probably be about your max. Put your weight dist. and sway control on, and dont do any performance upgrades to your powerplant. You are not likely to fry your tranny unless you power it up or drive like you are trying to win a race. Take it easy, be satisfied with 45 mph on the big hills, and I believe you will be safe and the Expedition will have a good long life. Hope all goes well.
  • redmachineredmachine Member Posts: 1
    I was so happy when I was shopping for an Expedition in 1998 that my brother's father-in-law would not sell me one unless it had the towing package. It proved to be a godsend, as we purchased a 24 ft. travel trailer and drove all over the northwest with an equalizer hitch with no trouble at all for 8 years. Last year we traded up to a 2008 EL Expedition with the towing package, and this year purchased a 8200 lb 32 foot trailer. The dealer almost refused to sell it to me when he heard that I was going to tow it to North Idaho and Montana. But with a towing capacity of 8700 lbs. and a 4 point towing bar system, our Ford service dept. assured me that my Rig would be up to the task. Well, it towed better than I could have imagined. We packed light, with no water, and since we were late for a funeral service, had to really make time. After a few 45 mph steep grades, we got onto Montana's famous highways that are built for 100 mph. We could easily and safely drive 85 mph, and we averaged over 75 for 200 miles, passing cars, pulling the Titanic. We only got 7.9 mpg, but hey, what do you expect. I am so proud of our Big Red Machine, towing with no issues for over 800 miles over 3 mountain passes, one with 8% grade. I highly recommend that you get a towing package on any vehicle that offers it, and outfit it with a great equalizer/anti-sway system.
  • naturist18anaturist18a Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Expedition and am looking to upgrade to a 2010 or 2011. I want the heavy duty towing package (536) that has been talked about elsewhere on this site. I'm finding it difficult to understand whether the hitch (receiver) is different with the 536 package or is it just the oil cooler, trans cooler and alternator that are different?
    Most dealer sales people have no idea what I'm talking about and it is very difficult to look through the Expeditions on the Internet and tell whether they have the 536 package or not. Any suggestions are most welcome!
    Bill
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    edited February 2013
    The reciever is not enough to tell you it has the HD package, they all have the receiver and it is the same. You need to check the VIN or look for the coolers.
  • armorbeearmorbee Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have a small pop-up. Looking to upgrade to something bigger. I have the use of a 2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 4.6L XLT SUV. Has the 4 pin electrical hookup.

I am seriously confused with all of these numbers in Gross this and Gross that. I find that the base curb weight is 5,499 and max towing capacity is 5,000. The GVWR is 7100 and the GCWR is 10,700.

I cannot figure out what it all means and how much I can actually tow. I thought I could easily tow a 26 foot camper off this thing. After I look at the weights it looks like this truck isn't strong enough to tow more than coleman pop up.

I could really use some help with this and shed a little light on my ingnorance.

Thank you
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Your vehicle has a max towing capacity of 5000#. You need the 5.4 engine with a 7 pin connector(for trailer brakes) in order to tow 8500#. You cannot tow a 26 ft camper with the setup you have.
    Cob is spot on. GVWR is the total weight of the Expedition - vehicle plus occupants, luggage, etc not including the trailer. GCWR is the total weight of everything - Expedition, occupants, luggage, and the loaded trailer. GCWR = GVWR + loaded trailer.
    Good advice. I had the same vehicle. I will say, the 4.6 is more capable than you think. You put a little 4x6 trailer behind it and you feel it, but you also put a flatbed with a car on it and it tires just as well. Get a 22 foot trailer with no slides and have fun. That should put you in a comfortable place to tow. I hope you have fun.
  • texas123texas123 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Ford Exp with the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow package, Trailer Tow Class IV, and Trailer Sway Control. I plan to pull a 2 horse slant trailer that weighs 3,500 lbs empty and about 2,000 pound more with 2 horses inside. I have read the comments on this string (very helpful!), and the specs from Ford which indicate I should be able to pull 9,200 lbs. My question is, how do the brakes work? I have brakes on the horse trailer, and have the 7 pin hookup in my bumper. The truck I used to pull the trailer with, had a brake setting in the truck by the steering wheel. How do the brakes work with my Expedition with the trailer? And, do you see any issues with me pulling this trailer? Thanks so much in advance for your help!
  • texas123texas123 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, wanted to update my post above with the trailer info. My trailer plate states the following: GVWR is 7,000 GAWR is 3,500 front, and 3,500 rear. Does this mean my trailer weighs 7,000 lbs empty?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    texas123 said:

Okay, wanted to update my post above with the trailer info. My trailer plate states the following: GVWR is 7,000 GAWR is 3,500 front, and 3,500 rear. Does this mean my trailer weighs 7,000 lbs empty?

I think that means the trailer plus cargo is restricted to 7000 lbs, with no more than 3500 lbs on one axle. (in other words, only 7000 lbs total, if it is perfectly distributed between the axles).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You need to get an electric brake controller which is the thing you are describing from your previous tow vehicle. It will allow you to properly proportion the braking power between the trailer and the truck. Prodigy makes a good unit. 2013 and up a controller was integrated into the dash of the Expedition and comes with the tow package.