Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Impala Transmission Problem

jmp4911jmp4911 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Chevrolet
No issues prior to stopping at a red light. When the light changed the car would not move. Had it towed to the shop and they say the transmission is shot, no first gear or reverse and want $1,600.00 to replace transmission. This sounds odd to me, could this be a sensor or something else?

Thanks for any help!

Answers

• leakmaster1leakmaster1 Member Posts: 8
    A lot of newer cars have a computer mounted in the engine compartment that tells the transmission what to do. You would need to take it to a dealer or a transmission shop to find the real problem.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    jmp4911 said:

No issues prior to stopping at a red light. When the light changed the car would not move. Had it towed to the shop and they say the transmission is shot, no first gear or reverse and want $1,600.00 to replace transmission. This sounds odd to me, could this be a sensor or something else?

Thanks for any help!

Agree. It needs to go to a real transmission shop that's honest or to a dealer for diagnosis. There are solenoids that control the shifts and a pressure control module that adjust the pressures that could be at fault.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• KevinD57KevinD57 Member Posts: 1

My 2011 Impala did the same thing. Stopped at sign, turned right onto busy road and car stopped moving completely. Couldn't even push in neutral! Tow driver had to use skids to get on the bed. Took to tranny shop, all the gears in the trans-axel were striped smooth with all kinds of metal pieces in housing. Replaced with a used tranny $1895