Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1966 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray vs. 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Chevrolet
image1966 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray vs. 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray | Edmunds.com

We compared our long-term 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray with a modern 2015 Chevrolet Stingray and discovered, there is no comparison.

Read the full story here

Comments

• gofortheneckgofortheneck Member Posts: 42
    Yawn.
    Snooze.
    Comparing a 1965 Chevy Corvair to a 2015 Cruze would keep me awake longer.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2015
    Just to satisfy my curiosity....I performed a tire search on TireRack.com for a 1966 Corvette. The most aggressive tire that I could find was a 205/75-15 Grand Touring All-Season Tire (everything else was less performance oriented). I wonder what type of difference the modern grand touring tire might have on the vintage Corvette's performance.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Faulting the bias-ply tires every article while leaving them on is getting stale. You've made the point, now why don't you try some decent GT radials like @subatomic found. Maybe even swap the wheels with, say, 17s and go for lower profile tires.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Given how cheap those GT radials would be, why not? Would be fun to see a before/after test.
  • natschampnatschamp Member Posts: 22
    The C7 leaves me cold. Still annoyed that they call it a Stingray(al least not a Sting Ray). Won't live that long to witness, but it's reasonable to assume the C7 will never be a coveted collector piece.
    Anyway, enough of the dumb, adolescent comparisons.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    edited August 2015
    Is the auto trans in the C7 that you complain about the same as the one in the CTS-V that you rave about?
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189

Is the auto trans in the C7 that you complain about the same as the one in the CTS-V that you rave about?

Trans tuning in software can make all the difference. The planetary gear sets are capable of quick, electronically actuated, solenoid controlled shifts but it's how the powertrain controller is tuned. An example would be how the common ZF 8-speed used in many rear drive luxury and non-luxury marques can have significantly varying reviews on performance. It might be a difference in expectations due to the type of car it's in or even if two models use the same basic trans internals, the software can make them feel and react completely different.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Love the lead-in, BTW. That was some really good writing.