Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero_Lights Turn Off While Driving at Night

markoosmagwamarkoosmagwa Member Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in Oldsmobile
As listed above, my lights keep turning off randomly at night when I'm driving and I can't get them to come back on. Does not happen every time I drive, but is occurring more frequently. If I turn on my high-beams, those work and I use them to drive. Any one have any input? I cannot find anything on this issue?

Comments

• joejoesonjoejoeson Member Posts: 44
    If the lights come and go, you have a bad ground connection which means a loose connection somewhere. It might be the wires leading into the bulbs (the high beam seems to work, so the low beam wire is probably at fault). I'd tighten the battery cables and test the battery as a first step.

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741

As listed above, my lights keep turning off randomly at night when I'm driving and I can't get them to come back on.

I cannot find anything on this issue?

Even if you did find where someone repaired a similar symptom, that has little to no bearing on what is happening to your car. It's actually a mistake to try and fix cars that way. You have to get a wiring schematic, choose testing points, and then take steps to make troubleshooting the problem easy when it occurs. The headlights are ground side controlled, with each having it's own power supply.

Do you have automatic headlights? If so then there are two ways for them to come on as both the multi-function switch and the body computer can provide a ground connection to command the lamps on. Based on what you wrote, and by the symptom it is likely that the headlight switch (multi-function switch) is failing but you don't want to just guess and try to throw that part at the problem, it needs to be proven.