Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tiny Side Mirrors - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2015 in Ford
imageTiny Side Mirrors - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Ford Mustang GT has tiny side mirrors. To find out exactly how small, we sized them up to the mirrors on the 2016 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe AWD.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    You'd think that given the aerodynamic loss (plus the fact that you hit the mirrors against other objects all the time), there would be a better digital solution rather than mirrors sticking on the side of your car.
  • 5vzfe5vzfe Member Posts: 161
    Electronics fail all the time. I wouldn't feel comfortable without regular mirrors, especially given how many issues automakers seem to have with simple infotainment units. If something were to short out or fail or glitch you could possibly be without them. Then there's issues like weather conditions - glare and rain (which still obscure mirrors, but they can at least be dimmed or heated in many cases)
    So even though I'm a bug fan of tech, this is one example of a simple idea that needs no more complexity.
  • john_in_tcjohn_in_tc Member Posts: 28
    I don't see why car reviewers are so lenient on cars with poor visibility. The Mustang driver has a limited view out the back and side because of big pillars and a small window, and the make up for it by providing small mirrors? That should disqualify the car a potential purchase no matter what the other qualities are.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    One of the rules to driving a Mustang GT: What's behind you is not important.
  • banker43banker43 Member Posts: 3
    Oh, come on. I put 600 miles on a Mustang convertible rental recently and the overall visibility was very good for a car in this class(even with the top up). Yes, they're not large mirrors. Adjust them correctly and they are fine.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    7driver - as an owner of a 2015 GT, I couldnt agree more! LOL!!! I
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    john_in_tc: I'd argue the "big pillars" comment. Those pillars in the fastback are so far behind you that your over the shoulder view is unobstructed and far better than any 4-door sedan I've driven. All-in-all, I find the visibility of this car quite good actually.
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    Contrast these mirrors with the ones that came on the 2005-2009 Mustangs. Their rearward visibility was supurb, but they looked like they came off of a Ford Ranger and were so big that visibility was sometimes impaired where the housing met the A-pillar base. These current mirrors look fine to me.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    Width is more important than height as long as they are tall enough, and this car is relatively low to the ground. But the extra quarter inch in width on the Jag buys little in the way of smaller blind spot. What might be more significant between two cars is whether the mirror is a different distance from a particular driver's head when the seat is adjusted to the preferred position.